Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventing forum posts from becoming 'news'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stevezzzz

R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR
Nov 13, 2009
Colorado
Since finding my forum posts quoted outside TMC, out of context, twice in recent weeks---most recently in the NY Times piece published yesterday---I've given some thought as to how I might be able to continue participating on this forum without having my musings cherry-picked by lazy journalists, without my consent.

The new sig block below is my first attempt. It may not stop anybody, but it gives me a leg to stand on if I complain to the publishers.

Since finding my forum posts quoted outside TMC, out of context, twice in recent weeks---most recently in the NY Times piece published yesterday---I've given some thought as to how I might be able to continue participating on this forum without having my musings cherry-picked by lazy journalists, without my consent.

The new sig block below is my first attempt. It may not stop anybody, but it gives me a leg to stand on if I complain to the publishers.

I like it! I have yet to be quoted (which probably speaks more to the efforts of my posts than anything else), but still...

You could also try making your sentences more complicated such that if they quote you they will have to quote incomplete sentences. For example...

Since the NYT is such trash these days, I'm glad I don't have to rely on them to get information about trivial quibbles with the Tesla implementation of the Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

I took the liberty of adding a slight addendum.

Like it, perhaps you should specifically call out Jalopnik also. Perhaps by adding "And Jalopnik, which just doesn't have a clue."
To my knowledge, so far Jalopnik has only done the (rough) equivalent of Broder's post. They haven't done a Sullivan article or a post-settled "quote collection" article. I take far more issue with the latter two, than I do with Broder's original post. A reporter can make a mistake in many ways, but the editorial staff are supposed to have the role of "getting things right, eventually". For the NYT, clearly they fail in both reporting and editorial.

Busted. Of course, my suggestion to change user name is really not meant to be serious. I would like the NYT to quote Beavis, though. The only way to keep from being quoted is not to post anything or to watch your language so that it is more positive.

This is an annoying development. The reality is now we cannot speak openly about the car for fear that some ass-hat fancies himself a journalist will misrepresent the information. I don't know how many of the "quotes" in that article were from before Tesla published the logs from the test car that, IMHO, clearly show Mr. Broder to be either incompetent or a liar. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's simply not very bright, btw.

Oh, and if anyone from the NYT reads this, you should know I'm deeply disappointed in your newspaper. Have the stones to come out and say when you've screwed up. In the mean time I'll be reading the Washington Post.

Oh, and you can damn well quote this post if you'd like.

Perhaps TMC can make Steve(many)z's sig the default sig on the forum. Or, make a pull down option with Steve's, then Bonnie and Brianman's modifications.

- - - Updated - - -

So, it appears changing one's sig is a future post only change. Is there a way to back add it to prior posts?

TMC should put a thing on the front page indicating that posts on the forum are considered to be off the record and shall not be quoted without the express written consent of the member. Include the line that by accessing the forum, the viewer is consenting to the above-listed restrictions.