Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside the Tesla battery pack

Electrical Engineer

Inside the Tesla battery pack

Here's some Tesla battery "secret sauce" for your enjoyment: (Don't even bother asking me how I was able to take these!)

Here you can see the bare 18650 laptop cells. They are interwoven with an aluminum channel (golden color) that carries coolant to each cell. Looks to me like a good 25% of each cell is in contact with this. (via way of a thermal pad and kapton electrical insulator)

Very large buss bar interconnecting the modules made of thin laminated strips of copper, that way it's still flexible.

This is the top of a module, each cell is connected to it's buss via a tiny single wire, which helps distribute current and acts like a fuse in the event of a cell fault.

Close up of the cell connection detail.

-Phil

Blog Entries
    Wow Phil, very cool, very interesting. I do want to ask how/where you got these, but don't expect an answer. Very interesting stuff.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Another question to ask, related to "how did you get them" is "Is Tesla ok with you posting them?"
    As a stockholder and general fan I'm against any unsanctioned leaks of intellectual property.
    Model S 60kWh, Catalina white, white roof, tan, obeche gloss, tech, 19", air suspension, twin chargers, supercharger access, rear jump seats, parcel shelf. VIN 3606

Electrical Engineer
    I can assure you this is not a "leak". We aren't living in China where we can expect to be censored! It's perfectly legal in the US to buy a product, take it apart, and post pictures all over the internet. Besides, any competitor that wants to buy a Tesla and tear it apart, can and probably will. It's not going to hurt Tesla or the stock price.

-Phil

P4398
    Well, I'd imagine Tesla would prefer them not posted. But that never stops the iFixit people dissecting every new iDevice released.

Lets enjoy the pics and not get tesla's panties n a bunch FOR them

Pretty cool, though it seems the connectors to the batteries are somewhat flimsy?

Wow really cool. Who let you open up their battery pack?

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect, Off Topic
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Blog Entries
    Tesla sure won't be happy to see that posted online. Unfortunately, if you own the car and don't care about the warranty, there's not much they can do to stop you taking your car apart.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Cool pictures. I hope you were able to put it back together again, and not be left with an expensive "brick" of a car.

As others have noted, I'm sure Tesla isn't happy about such pictures, but there really isn't much they can do about it. Once they have sold the car to you, it represents a "public disclosure" of any trade secrets. Presumably any significant intellectual property has been patented or in the process of being patented.

I think I read somewhere that Elon was using patents to protect all IP at Tesla, but primarily using trade secrets to protect all IP at SpaceX as there was minimal risk of "public disclosure" at SpaceX, but the Chinese could easily read any SpaceX patent filings.
    Blue P85 Model S (VIN#2817)

Blog Entries
    Tesla HAD to know it was only a matter of time before not only battery pack photos, but diagrams, would be online. There'll also be breakdowns of the motor, inverter, and many other things. Once you own something it's yours to do with as you please. It's the way of business and Tesla won't be upset in the least, nor will they be surprised.
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Thread Information