Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Mind Blowing Facts About Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Motors is the second oldest publicly listed American Automaker (behind Ford).
GM went bankrupt – and now, its stock is only four months younger than TSLA. Also, Chrysler is not publicly listed. It went bankrupt as well. Chrysler, however, is still a private company.

Pretty cool, though a technicality.

Tesla Motors’ stock is the third most shorted on American stock exchanges: 52.9% shares of float.

Something I bet the folks there (and here) groan over. We've been hearing about the upcoming short squeeze for ages now.

(Mr. Musk is also the chairman of Solarcity, another company that is taking a fresh approach to its industry – solar panels – their technology is utilized in Tesla’s Supercharger stations.)

Not all (if any) have solar panels yet, correct? Even if, it's a small (arguably unimportant) part. This makes it seem like the super chargers are powered by solar city.

The Model S is so structurally sound, that the NHTSA’s roof crush resistance testing machine actually broke when they tried to test the Model S under it.
The Model S’s roof crush resistance is over twice the requirement by the NHTSA.

I've always wondered about this anecdote. Did it break because the S was so strong, or did it break for some other reason and the S happened to be there and it formed its own myth?

Pretty cool, though a technicality.

Something I bet the folks there (and here) groan over. We've been hearing about the upcoming short squeeze for ages now.

Not all (if any) have solar panels yet, correct? Even if, it's a small (arguably unimportant) part. This makes it seem like the super chargers are powered by solar city.

I've always wondered about this anecdote. Did it break because the S was so strong, or did it break for some other reason and the S happened to be there and it formed its own myth?

Since the former NUMMI factory in Fremont has 5.3 million square feet, Tesla should have Solar City cover that with solar panels instead of negotiating and building to situate them at all the supercharger sites. Their objective is to replace the aggregate supercharger usage with clean solar power and they've left open the option to place panels away from the actual SC stations, so the Fremont factory seems a good place to start. Tejon Ranch has solar panels installed; are there others? And the crush machine that supposedly broke didn't belong to NHTSA, but was a third party device, iirc. The "myth" morphing into legend is being helped along by certain journalists. :cool:

Off-topic:
they're now 9th....kind of a weird mix above them.
Skullcandy, #2 on that list, a top quality headphones producer, audio is superb for the form factor they are targeting (from personal experience). Company is profitable, P/E ~7, revenue shows steady grows, year 2012 should be around $270M, last year $232M, before that $160M, $118M, $80M. What not to like? But shorts might know better, idk. I might be missing something.

Last edited:
Off-topic:

Skullcandy, #2 on that list, a top quality headphones producer, audio is superb for the form factor they are targeting (from personal experience). Company is profitable, P/E ~7, revenue shows steady grows, year 2012 should be around $270M, last year $232M, before that $160M, $118M, $80M. What not to like? But shorts might know better, idk. I might be missing something.

Agreed. I mean weird as in a diverse mix, not necessarily weird companies. I do take issues with Sodastream at #11, that really is strange, I remember the farting soda machine from about 20 years ago, I've no idea how that's making a come-back again!

Forbes article on Tesla: What Are Some Mind Blowing Facts About Tesla Motors?

New Forbes article on Tesla:

What Are Some Mind Blowing Facts About Tesla Motors? - Forbes

Tesla Motors is the second oldest publicly listed American Automaker (behind Ford).
GM went bankrupt – and now, its stock is only four months younger than TSLA. Also, Chrysler is not publicly listed. It went bankrupt as well. Chrysler, however, is still a private company.