Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting the PANO roof in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have configured my car without the glass roof - anyone else not getting the glass roof? I never open the sunroofs on cars I have had, so have decided to not order it on the S. I wonder if I will regret not getting it.:confused:
I think the S will look good with or without the pano roof. The solid roof will be quieter and might make the car feel a bit more rigid. The black roof option would only be appropriate for the black car IMO. I'm not sure why they offered it as an option. I prefer a sun/moon/pano roof in a car because it gives you options. I often drive with A/C off unless absolutely necessary(even in Florida) because I enjoy the fresh air and I feel the engine is much more responsive without A/C compressor sucking horsepower. My wife never likes the sunroof open or top down in a car (blows her hair), so it's completely a personal preference. If you never opened your sunroof before, the solid roof is most likely your best choice!

I think the S will look good with or without the pano roof. The solid roof will be quieter and might make the car feel a bit more rigid. The black roof option would only be appropriate for the black car IMO. I'm not sure why they offered it as an option. I prefer a sun/moon/pano roof in a car because it gives you options. I often drive with A/C off unless absolutely necessary(even in Florida) because I enjoy the fresh air and I feel the engine is much more responsive without A/C compressor sucking horsepower. My wife never likes the sunroof open or top down in a car (blows her hair), so it's completely a personal preference. If you never opened your sunroof before, the solid roof is most likely your best choice!

Hi Steve,

I've recently had passengers in the back who have cars with "moon roofs". They asked me to open the panoramic roof for comparison purposes. We were traveling at 35-45 mph on a sunny day. We opened the roof to the 80% position and they were shocked at how much more quiet it was in comparison with their roofs.

With regard to saving horsepower by using the open roof, I'm skeptical that it would save much in Florida. Even in December I needed to keep the A/C on with the roof open to maintain comfort. In addition, I believe opening the roof will imposs an increased aerodynamic drag. Don't get me wrong I intend to open the panoramic roof, I just don't think it will save range.

Larry

Last edited:
I ordered a P85 in brown without the pano. During my test drive I found the open roof pretty noisy. Seems to me that one of the best bennifits of an electric powered vehicle is how quiet it is. I almost never use my moonroof anyway. I'll enjoy the additional insulation and the super quiet ride. Also think the huge pano is cool and can understand why most seem to be ordering with it. Hope my resale value won't be hurt without it.

Hi Steve,

I've recently had passengers in the back who have cars with "moon roofs". They asked me to open the panoramic roof for comparison purposes. We were traveling at 35-45 mph on a sunny day. We opened the roof to the 80% position and they were shocked at how much more quiet it was in comparison with their roofs.

With regard to saving horsepower by using the open roof, I'm skeptical that it would save much in Florida. Even in December I needed to keep the A/C on with the roof open to maintain comfort. In addition, I believe opening the roof will imposs an increased aerodynamic drag. Don't get me wrong I intend to open the panoramic roof, I just don't think it will save range.

Larry
The nice thing about having the pano roof is you can go either way (open or closed) depending on the environment and situation. And with the S, you have such a variance on the amount it's open. The A/C off thing is as much for enjoying the fresh air as it is saving energy. In the cooler months (ok, it's still 80 in December this year in Florida), it's really enjoyable to drive with the windows and roof open. If you think about it, a window airconditioner in a home might draw 1500W max and would likely be enough to cool a car cabin - that's negligible current draw compaired to the Model S' powertrain so it might not affect range as much as we think.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered a P85 in brown without the pano. During my test drive I found the open roof pretty noisy. Seems to me that one of the best bennifits of an electric powered vehicle is how quiet it is. I almost never use my moonroof anyway. I'll enjoy the additional insulation and the super quiet ride. Also think the huge pano is cool and can understand why most seem to be ordering with it. Hope my resale value won't be hurt without it.
Wow, the last thing I'm thinking about is resale value! I don't even have mine yet and can't wait:smile: Pano or not is really just a matter of personal taste. The car's color choice also makes a difference. I saw a brown Model S at the test drive and it is a beautiful car. I think it would look much better with the solid roof as you have chosen. Enjoy!

I had the BMW X3 with pano roof with auto sunshade for 5 years. It was beautiful to look at and show off to your friends and family. I can only account for not more than 10 times I opened the roof in 5 years. It is noisy. I live in North Carolina and is hot in the summer and even during Spring or Fall, I like to keep the roof shut with my shade on. When I looked at the Model S pano, they have a huge bar in the middle unlike my X3. I decided to order the solid roof instead, no regret.

If you think about it, a window airconditioner in a home might draw 1500W max and would likely be enough to cool a car cabin - that's negligible current draw compaired to the Model S' powertrain so it might not affect range as much as we think.

Here's the worst case scenario regarding how climate control effects range. From Model S Efficiency and Range.

If you are driving slowly for a very long time and operating climate control continually it will have the largest percentage impact on your range. In very hot or cold operating conditions with typical usage of climate control and driving at speeds around 55 mph you may see a 10-15% reduction in range.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I have configured my car without the glass roof - anyone else not getting the glass roof? I never open the sunroofs on cars I have had, so have decided to not order it on the S. I wonder if I will regret not getting it.:confused:

Roger,

Its been my experience that the panoramic roof gives you almost another 2 inches in headroom in the rear.

Larry