Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Three Weeks with Signature Performance (Pros and Cons)

  1. #1
    Member Charged_Up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    159

    Three Weeks with Signature Performance (Pros and Cons)

    First, I am enjoying the car immensely - which is most important. A few minor glitches on delivery, some possible design flaws/issues, and a whole lot of fun and admiration otherwise. List below not meant to be comprehensive, just an accumulation of items after having had a chance to drive it around town a bit. there are a number of items I expect to be improved (voice control, parking guides on rear view screen etc) but I can be patient for those.

    Bottom line - expensive, but worth the wait. I replaced a 13-year old Mercedes E Class that had chalked up 260,000 miles (kept it for my kids).

    The quick positives -

    1) great looking - universal opinion of observers.
    2) quick - amazingly so when you want it.
    3) a head-turner - but subtle. Lots of double takes, walk-arounds when parked, but few hoots or outright stares.
    4) touch screen interface excellent - highly intuitive, easy to use.
    5) handling superb, road feel excellent (a little more BMW than Mercedes, imo)
    6) one pedal driving easy to get used to.
    7) my daughter loves putting her school bag in the frunk.
    8) given six test drives, two new confirmed reservations, one on the edge.



    The quick issues - (none are dealbreakers but expecting most to be remedied)

    1) "b" pillar corner is rubbed on every entry and exit to car by driver - almost certainly a design flaw - will need a modified rounded edge or some sort of protector piece. my leather stitching already unraveling at that spot.
    2) some body panels not aligned as well as they should be. some of this may be adjustable (e.g. hood slightly out of alignment) when I get first visit from service next week. risk of being first adopter.
    3) front passenger door requires more effort to close than others and window rattles - expecting a fix after service visit.
    4) fan may have a bad bearing - that will have to be checked out by service.
    5) weatherstripping for sunroof does not always seem to return to proper position after use - could be type of material - more foam like than rubber - or some other issue.
    6) bluetooth a little flaky - phone (iPhone 4) is not seen about 1 time in 4 or 5 - sometimes can be remedied, twice required a reboot.
    7) lack of a rear floor mat or option to add from company store is annoying at the price.
    8) local range a bit less than expected, even without lead foot driving. presumably all about energy needed to get the considerable mass moving once stopped at lights or stop signs. (Highway matches expectations).

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    180
    1) the b pillar on the MS on displace at the Washington Square Mall store in Portland has a rip in the leather from the thousands of entry/exits.

  3. #3
    Member ModelS1079's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Suburban Boston
    Posts
    762
    Great review. I love the Test-Drive-to-Reservation ratio of 6:3. Do you remember when Tesla was offering $1,000 for every referred reservation made? You would have done well. The B Pillar comment noted and a hard fix, and agree about rear floor mats. But you will be better off in Miami than I will in January in Greater Boston...

  4. #4
    6) bluetooth a little flaky - phone (iPhone 4) is not seen about 1 time in 4 or 5 - sometimes can be remedied, twice required a reboot.

    I wonde rif it's an ios6 thing? I've began having issues in my Audi as well, but only since iOS6 (which brought wifi issues as well)

  5. #5
    ERIC VFX vfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA CA
    Posts
    14,795
    I think the B pillar will stay. Maybe cover with a better material.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    564
    great post. i wish there would be more like this....

  7. #7
    Thank you for the succinct and detailed post. This is what we need. Too late for me to back out despite the problems. I'm already committed to buying and it should be here in a few weeks. But yeah, those are necessarily deal breakers (unless there were a sufficient number of them that it passes the threshold of being a deal breaker). Only way to really know is to own one.
    Model S Signature Performance

  8. #8
    Senior Member mknox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Charged_Up View Post
    "b" pillar corner is rubbed on every entry and exit to car by driver - almost certainly a design flaw - will need a modified rounded edge or some sort of protector piece. my leather stitching already unraveling at that spot.
    I've noticed this on numerous beta and test drive cars. I even asked a Tesla rep about this and they said it's because the test cars have had more people in and out of them in a few months than a typical owner would in a lifetime. I didn't buy it at the time, and it now looks like we have confirmation. It is an odd design which I think is just so that the door armrest flows through to the rest of the car's interior when the door is closed. Most cars have relatively flat/smooth B-pillars, and are also usually covered at seat level with a harder/more durable material. Hoping Tesla makes good on some sort of repair or fix.

  9. #9
    Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Charged_Up View Post
    First, I am enjoying the car immensely - which is most important. A few minor glitches on delivery, some possible design flaws/issues, and a whole lot of fun and admiration otherwise. List below not meant to be comprehensive, just an accumulation of items after having had a chance to drive it around town a bit. there are a number of items I expect to be improved (voice control, parking guides on rear view screen etc) but I can be patient for those.

    Bottom line - expensive, but worth the wait. I replaced a 13-year old Mercedes E Class that had chalked up 260,000 miles (kept it for my kids).

    The quick positives -

    1) great looking - universal opinion of observers.
    2) quick - amazingly so when you want it.
    3) a head-turner - but subtle. Lots of double takes, walk-arounds when parked, but few hoots or outright stares.
    4) touch screen interface excellent - highly intuitive, easy to use.
    5) handling superb, road feel excellent (a little more BMW than Mercedes, imo)
    6) one pedal driving easy to get used to.
    7) my daughter loves putting her school bag in the frunk.
    8) given six test drives, two new confirmed reservations, one on the edge.



    The quick issues - (none are dealbreakers but expecting most to be remedied)

    1) "b" pillar corner is rubbed on every entry and exit to car by driver - almost certainly a design flaw - will need a modified rounded edge or some sort of protector piece. my leather stitching already unraveling at that spot.
    2) some body panels not aligned as well as they should be. some of this may be adjustable (e.g. hood slightly out of alignment) when I get first visit from service next week. risk of being first adopter.
    3) front passenger door requires more effort to close than others and window rattles - expecting a fix after service visit.
    4) fan may have a bad bearing - that will have to be checked out by service.
    5) weatherstripping for sunroof does not always seem to return to proper position after use - could be type of material - more foam like than rubber - or some other issue.
    6) bluetooth a little flaky - phone (iPhone 4) is not seen about 1 time in 4 or 5 - sometimes can be remedied, twice required a reboot.
    7) lack of a rear floor mat or option to add from company store is annoying at the price.
    8) local range a bit less than expected, even without lead foot driving. presumably all about energy needed to get the considerable mass moving once stopped at lights or stop signs. (Highway matches expectations).
    Great post. I'm at my one month anniversary with the car on Friday, and can offer my two cents, jumping off of this good post. I'm in complete agreement on the positives. On the negatives, I'm not sure I understand the b-pillar issue. How is it rubbed on entry/exit? Where on the b-pillar is this happening? On the inside? I don't have leather there. I'm confused.

    On passenger side door, I asked about this -- it's a constant problem for passengers not shutting the door firmly enough. I was told that it's designed that way on purpose to get a good seal on the door, so don't expect a fix from Tesla. You'll just have to live with telling people they need to use some power to shut the door. It's slightly annoying at first, but my "regular" passengers (ie, my wife) are already used to it.

    Bluetooth is definitely an issue at times, as is 3G connectivity. Internet, Nav, and Slacker/TuneIn all have various times where they are slow or not working if I'm in an area with bad cell service. For Bluetooth, I've been using a Bluetooth earpiece, which allows me to be connected to my two phones (would love this to be in a software upgrade), and the car is so quiet that I can hear everything, and most everyone can hear me without my having to shout.

    Range can be weird. Driving out of my neighborhood always using insane amounts of energy (regularly over 500 Wh), yet driving home I'll hover around 300 Wh on the same streets, so I wonder if its not the stop/start as much as the car warming up somehow (maybe the a/c, although it hasn't been that warm out). Highway driving is definitely more range-friendly, even at higher speeds. And I love coming off the highway and getting some green in there!

  10. #10
    Member Charged_Up's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by pguerra View Post
    Thank you for the succinct and detailed post. This is what we need. Too late for me to back out despite the problems. I'm already committed to buying and it should be here in a few weeks. But yeah, those are necessarily deal breakers (unless there were a sufficient number of them that it passes the threshold of being a deal breaker). Only way to really know is to own one.
    I would not have backed out for these items. But at the price, you'd like to see an effort to get it right. Tesla still has to prove they can get it right with service for Model S, but overall, the car is a winner.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    Great post. I'm at my one month anniversary with the car on Friday, and can offer my two cents, jumping off of this good post. I'm in complete agreement on the positives. On the negatives, I'm not sure I understand the b-pillar issue. How is it rubbed on entry/exit? Where on the b-pillar is this happening? On the inside? I don't have leather there. I'm confused.

    On passenger side door, I asked about this -- it's a constant problem for passengers not shutting the door firmly enough. I was told that it's designed that way on purpose to get a good seal on the door, so don't expect a fix from Tesla. You'll just have to live with telling people they need to use some power to shut the door. It's slightly annoying at first, but my "regular" passengers (ie, my wife) are already used to it.

    Bluetooth is definitely an issue at times, as is 3G connectivity. Internet, Nav, and Slacker/TuneIn all have various times where they are slow or not working if I'm in an area with bad cell service. For Bluetooth, I've been using a Bluetooth earpiece, which allows me to be connected to my two phones (would love this to be in a software upgrade), and the car is so quiet that I can hear everything, and most everyone can hear me without my having to shout.

    Range can be weird. Driving out of my neighborhood always using insane amounts of energy (regularly over 500 Wh), yet driving home I'll hover around 300 Wh on the same streets, so I wonder if its not the stop/start as much as the car warming up somehow (maybe the a/c, although it hasn't been that warm out). Highway driving is definitely more range-friendly, even at higher speeds. And I love coming off the highway and getting some green in there!
    Should have also added that there is a distortion at the bottom of the windshield AND that I can't get my SunPass to work in any position yet. Hoping one of the service guys has the answer. The distortion is no big deal unless you stare at it as it doesn't really affect your field of vision, but I really, really, do not want to mount an external transponder to the front of the car. As for the passenger door, I know the difference between a proper seal and one that is too tight - this one is too tight and maybe that's what's making it harder to close the door. All other windows/doors are perfect.

    As for range, I recently got rated range going 65-70mph for a decent distance - was pleased with that. around town, depending on how I drive, at least 30 miles less projected than rated.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    6) bluetooth a little flaky - phone (iPhone 4) is not seen about 1 time in 4 or 5 - sometimes can be remedied, twice required a reboot.

    I wonde rif it's an ios6 thing? I've began having issues in my Audi as well, but only since iOS6 (which brought wifi issues as well)
    I'm still using IOS5 (couldn't bear to lose Google Maps)

    - - - Updated - - -

    on the b-pillar issue - it's probably only really an issue if you are tall or like to drive with the seat pushed back a bit - so unless I am really careful getting in, there is contact around my waist level over left rear pocket with the corner of the interior that sort of sticks out there in a sharp point. If you look, you'll see it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 19" vs 21" Wheels Pros and Cons
    By rlawson4 in forum Model S: Driving Dynamics
    Replies: 209
    Last Post: 2013-10-08, 02:24 PM
  2. Red Model S Signature Performance Available!
    By RedSignature in forum Tesla for Sale
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 2012-11-28, 08:25 PM
  3. Looking for a Model S Signature Performance
    By FLXX in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2012-11-28, 10:13 AM
  4. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 2012-06-12, 09:02 PM
  5. My roadster pros and cons
    By fraccy in forum Roadster
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2011-11-08, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •