Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You placed the order (not from inventory) and next day VIN is assigned from inventory and MVPA given?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we (now) forced to buy a factory ordered car from the inventory lot if the spec matches?

Or, always been this way?
In the old day, your car is not made until your order. It may take months to get a a newly built car in your hand.

Now, Tesla makes a whole bunch even before you order it. Thus, if there's one matches your order, you'll get that quickly without waiting for another one to be built.

I guess you can ask for the unbuilt one and wait for it to be built but it may take longer, from weeks to months.

In the old day, your car is not made until your order. It may take months to get a a newly built car in your hand.

Now, Tesla makes a whole bunch even before you order it. Thus, if there's one matches your order, you'll get that quickly without waiting for another one to be built.

I guess you can ask for the unbuilt one and wait for it to be built but it may take longer, from weeks to months.
Yep, came back from the SC earlier today, and was told the same.

Inventory's configuration match has birth date in March, when the configuration's factory order was submitted in April.

The vehicle's i suppose has been sitting on the (remote) lot for a month or so, showing ~19 miles'ish. Then again, i suppose that isn't so different from buying any car off the lot. And now someone has to drive the car back to the SC's lot.

Hrm, wanted to get the car off the delivery truck close to the pickup date.

In the old day, your car is not made until your order.

Model 3s have never, ever been "made to order" (ever). They have always been made in batches, with the car built matched to a specific order once that configuration was being built.

Yes, it did used to take "months" sometimes to get an order, but even then those cars were not built to order.

Yes, its true that there is more inventory now, but the only thing that has changed is the sales volume. Teslas MFG process as it relates to "build to order" has not changed, because they dont do that for model 3s or Ys.