Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those 30 people might have been members before working at Tesla, too, so might be that now some wish they weren't or at least wouldn't join again if they weren't already since they might no longer feel that need it, like those who aren't. Of course I'm sure at least some really want it still.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I work at a company in Sweden. The company is in "employers union", it's the party workers unions is negotiating central agreements with.
While 80% of the workers where I work are in the workers union, you don't need to. Some employees are not in the union and saves some money too.

About 20-30 years ago the unions and the unemployment funds were separated by law in Sweden. Now you can choose to only pay a smaller monthly fee to the unemployment funds, and not pay the union fee. It's up to you. It work at our workplace, some are in the union, some are only in the unemployment funds and some are not in any of these.

There are also smaller unions with lower fees than the large IF Metall or Unionen, like Ledarna

Now the Electricians have put up signs on all SuC, even on the contacts themselves, which make it look like they are not in operation. My sympathy for the union in this battle has completely begun to wear off.

1700419397098.png

1. Totally Ok. 2. Not Ok.

(not related to my username which means totally a fool)

Now the Electricians have put up signs on all SuC, even on the contacts themselves, which make it look like they are not in operation. My sympathy for the union in this battle has completely begun to wear off.

View attachment 992041

Aren't the sucs private property? Putting signs like this without permission is surely against some law, even in sweden?

View attachment 992041

I would think this would be illegal. Tesla should immediately initiate a lawsuit, and I'm sure they will. Block innocent customer's access to their refueling infrastructure? Definitely a way to get the people on your side.

The unions are just highlighting their own idiocy.

Haven't seen any posts on this:
This coming Friday ~50 workers who are members of the union IF Metall at Hydro Extrusions Vetlanda in Sweden will go on a sympathy strike and stop production of a part that Tesla uses in its production of the Model Y in Berlin.

Will Tesla be able to work around this with parts from the US or China, or will it affect production at Berlin?

This coming Friday ~50 workers who are members of the union IF Metall at Hydro Extrusions Vetlanda in Sweden

Haha, no word yet on who is the supplier for the battery storage system that Hydro Extrusions Sweden is currently installing at their factory: :p

Hydro to Install Solar Power at Its Extrusion Factories in Sweden - Light Metal Age Magazine

• Funny
Reactions: BornToFly and Mengy
Wasn't there a thread, somewhere else, created specifically for chronicling the trials and tribulations of the union implementing a Mafia-style "Protection" racket under the guise of trying to help workers who don't want their help, so we wouldn't have to hear about it in the investment forum?

Oh yeah, here it is. :rolleyes:

THIS is the UNION SANDBOX, please stay in it. Thank you.

Last edited:
Tesla will immediately drop Hydro Extrusions as a supplier if that happens. They're not messing around. They would much rather take short term pain than accept union ANYTHING into their business.

And it will be likely that no more Swedish suppliers will get new business with Tesla...and they'll find secondary non-Swedish suppliers for their existing parts.

These folks are shooting themselves in the foot.

Tesla will immediately drop Hydro Extrusions as a supplier if that happens. They're not messing around. They would much rather take short term pain than accept union ANYTHING into their business.
I wonder about the penalties in the contract with Tesla if they fail to deliver parts... It could get very expensive for Hydro Extrusions. (At no fault of their own, other than having a collective agreement with IF Metal.)

But they have many other locations outside of Sweden, so maybe they will just relocate production to a different location.

Mod: 5 posts about unions in Sweden moved to
and one that had even the slightest mention of twitter postings moved to the trashcan. In case you hadn't guessed, we are really serious about keeping postings where they should be.
--ggr

I'm sorry, but how a post like this isn't relevant here? That a crucial Giga Berlin supplier is joining the strike in sympathy and could lead to slow down or even pause in it's Model Y production there? If that isn't relevant I honestly don't know what else is, since it affects Tesla production numbers directly

I'm sorry, but how a post like this isn't relevant here? That a crucial Giga Berlin supplier is joining the strike in sympathy and could lead to slow down or even pause in it's Model Y production there? If that isn't relevant I honestly don't know what else is, since it affects Tesla production numbers directly

I'm assuming the correct way to do it is to post into the other thread and then post here with a link to the post on the other thread.

It's totally on topic to mention a production / supply issue here, but if the reason for the production / supply issue is from another thread you mention it and suggest others go there to read it.

I absolutely wouldn't have known about this if someone didn't post here because I don't care about the other thread enough to follow it.

So I expect and heavily suggest that mods here allow some sort of heads up when something happens that materially affects production / supply.

There has to be some bleed into this thread of other topics or this thread will be nothing but memes and jokes about the stock price and the "in crowd" talking to each other.

Yes, Tesla is like a babe in the woods when it comes to finding ways around supply problems. The folks running the company have no experience with parts shortages, stoppage of shipments, and how to find a work around when such issues affect manufacturing and delivery of products.

If only they had someone to inspire them. Someone who thinks out of the box. Someone with a unique mindset and the perspective from which to quickly conjour solutions to complex problems. Someone who doesn't cave to bullying.

"Crucial supplier" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm assuming the correct way to do it is to post into the other thread and then post here with a link to the post on the other thread.

It's totally on topic to mention a production / supply issue here, but if the reason for the production / supply issue is from another thread you mention it and suggest others go there to read it.

I absolutely wouldn't have known about this if someone didn't post here because I don't care about the other thread enough to follow it.

So I expect and heavily suggest that mods here allow some sort of heads up when something happens that materially affects production / supply.

There has to be some bleed into this thread of other topics or this thread will be nothing but memes and jokes about the stock price and the "in crowd" talking to each other.

I posted that in the investment thread not the thread it is in now. Having @ggr move the post here just gives me notifications for a thread I don't want to read.

I'd rather someone give me the cliff notes version in the main investment thread.

Reactions: GhostSkater

Tesla cars continue to roll in - despite the strike​

Telegram from TT / Omni
20 November 2023, 17.00 , updated 21 November 2023, 01.17
04d708af-7af4-44ba-842d-bcc0172f1b90

Since the Tesla strike broke out, nearly 1,000 cars have been picked up by Swedish customers, statistics from the Swedish Transport Agency show.
According to the union, it will take time before their conflict measures have full effect.
Up until October this year, around 17,000 Tesla cars have been newly registered. And during the last three-week period, October 27-November 16 (the time period when the strike took place), 963 cars have been taken into traffic in Sweden, according to figures that TT requested from the Swedish Transport Agency.
A steady stream of vehicles is thus still being taken into traffic despite the strike that prevails between the American car giant Tesla and the trade union IF Metall and all the other nine LO unions that have closed with sympathy measures, where above all the transport union's port blockade is deemed to have greater effects.
- It will take time before our conflict measures have full effect, says IF Metall's agreement secretary Veli-Pekka Säikkälä.

"Going slower for Tesla"​

He does not consider it strange that Tesla cars are still coming to Sweden.
- We started a conflict three weeks ago and last Friday the sympathy measures in the ports came into full force, where they do not accept Tesla cars.
- Tesla still has some operations going, but we are getting reports that things are going much slower for them, he continues.

Tesla has high delivery variation​

Mattias Bergman, CEO of the industry organization Mobility Sweden, emphasizes that it is difficult to draw too far-reaching conclusions from the statistics.
- Tesla has a high variation of deliveries between months, and even within the month. If you look at their new registrations, it is always particularly high at the end of the quarter, he says.
Previously, this was because Tesla lacked production in Europe, says Bergman. Once the cars did arrive, they arrived via a large ship and then it could be another month before the next ship arrived.
- But now they have a factory outside Berlin (which opened in March 2022), which accounts for part of the volumes, although cars still come from China and the USA, he says.
- It is difficult to say whether the fluctuations within Tesla's new registrations and deliveries are due to the strike or to what the market situation looks like, or other factors. Only Tesla can account for that.
TT has sought Tesla for a comment without success.

From what I hear, so far Tesla is doing business as usual. The Unions will try to escalate but their actions seem impotent. Their sympathy-strikes only leads to business going from unionized companies to non-unionized companies, thus being contra productive to their goals of getting more workers unionized and incentivizing more companies to join the unions. Eventually they will realize this, but they seem pretty dense in their "we are the good guys, spaceman bad, only benefits of collective agreements" mindset so it will likely take a few more months for it to sink in for them.