Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unpopular opinion follows …
Tesla is not afraid of stupid fun. As an owner, you can use it or ignore it. I have seen some reviews of the Ioniq 5N that state it is dumb, and then they drive it and like it. It’s a whole simulation, not just sound. I agree that trying to make an ICE 4-cylinder sound like a V8 is not desirable. But I’d be willing to give the Ioniq 5N experience a try. It’s just trying to be fun, not deceptive.
My only real issue with it, is it makes the car considerably slower, I can't remember which review I was watching but it was more than a second slower to 60 and just in general slower because the added gear shifts just delayed the power, it purposely added "lag" to feel like a combustion engine revving etc.

I don't mind the idea, adding some engagement back in, do mind the make it much slower part.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Mischa articulates the spirit of the Hyundai well - it's intended as an amusing niche product for a specific target group. And seems to hit the mark, too! Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense in absolute terms for the average driver, but having driven some Ring laps I appreciate how demanding this track is for an EV.

This level of performance and track durability from an EV is quite impressive. It's pretty quick, doesn't kill it's brakes and tires, and maintains good power through two-ish laps. Hyundai is being clever with the endurance mode; sacrificing some overall perfroamnce in order to maintain cooling and power over time. Neat.

I don't necessarily care for the looks, the weight nor the fake sounds - but Hyundai is has really created something special and I hope this car inspires Tesla to develop a fast road / track day optimised package or version of the new 3P (yeah, I know tahth isn't happening but...)

Mischa articulates the spirit of the Hyundai well - it's intended as an amusing niche product for a specific target group. And seems to hit the mark, too! Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense in absolute terms for the average driver, but having driven some Ring laps I appreciate how demanding this track is for an EV.

This level of performance and track durability from an EV is quite impressive. It's pretty quick, doesn't kill it's brakes and tires, and maintains good power through two-ish laps. Hyundai is being clever with the endurance mode; sacrificing some overall perfroamnce in order to maintain cooling and power over time. Neat.

I don't necessarily care for the looks, the weight nor the fake sounds - but Hyundai is has really created something special and I hope this car inspires Tesla to develop a fast road / track day optimised package or version of the new 3P (yeah, I know tahth isn't happening but...)
Maybe they already have…guess we’ll have to wait and see when it’s actually available for a real review.

GOT MY VIN!! Ordered 1/10 for a LR and switched day of release to performance, stealth grey white interior. It literally doesn’t feel real after how long I’ve been waiting!!!
Congrats! I am definitely in the camp that those who ordered the LR and have waited all this time should get the Performance Model first. Can't wait to hear how much you like it.

The purpose built tires are supposed to be so good that the lead engineer thinks you'll likely not gain anything from this, or even lose range.

I believe what he is talking about is like for like tires. For the level of grip the stock tires offer you probably can’t gain much range while keeping that same level of grip.

What I am talking about is sacrificing some levels of grip but still getting WAY more Performance than the LR has but increasing range dramatically.

The stock 2024 Model 3 Performance isn’t going to be able to match these numbers below but I believe my 2024 Model 3 Performance will be able to achieve these numbers and still post some really impressive acceleration numbers.

IMG_5787.jpeg

Reactions: MileHighM3P
Agree with you. However, I guess there may be some federal credit eligible buyers who may still pick a LR over the Performance trim, if they value range the most.

Base LR has 341 miles of range
Performance has 296
So, a difference of 45 miles… on paper

Base LR current costs $47,740
Performance (in std config) costs $46,490 after the credit.
So, that is a difference of $1250

A federal credit eligible buyer would get 45 miles additional range, if they go with (& pay the extra $1250) for the LR model. Might make sense for some to go this route. 🤷‍♂️
Also I can think of another reason. I am 6'3" , I was always a big boy, but during the pandemic, work from home got me to a body weight record-292lbs. My doctor told me to lose weight or I could have serious health trouble. Since then I got myself down to 180lbs. I had trouble with bucket seats being too tight on torso before. Now it's definitely not a problem for me,but that could be a reason someone choose LR instead of performance. (Assuming they really like the car and don't/can't go one size bigger)

While it's good to know I have the option of getting more range with smaller wheels since I'm leasing I probably will run the stock summers and just purchase a winter set since I'm in Cleveland. I don't take too many long trips with my car so I don't think it will be worth the expense.

Speaking of longer trips we are trying to figure out what to do for our next family car, lease up in Dec. 3 kids (14, 10, 10, all skinny) and have always had a 3 row SUV but my wife is tired of a huge car and we want an EV or at least a PHEV to do commuting on battery. The pricing on the Y right now is so tempting. For bigger trips would have to get a roof cargo box or something. Sorry for the off topic stuff.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Also I can think of another reason. I am 6'3" , I was always a big boy, but during the pandemic, work from home got me to a body weight record-292lbs. My doctor told me to lose weight or I could have serious health trouble. Since then I got myself down to 180lbs. I had trouble with bucket seats being too tight on torso before. Now it's definitely not a problem for me,but that could be a reason someone choose LR instead of performance. (Assuming they really like the car and don't/can't go one size bigger)
Good point and congrats to your weight loss!

While it's good to know I have the option of getting more range with smaller wheels since I'm leasing I probably will run the stock summers and just purchase a winter set since I'm in Cleveland. I don't take too many long trips with my car so I don't think it will be worth the expense.

Speaking of longer trips we are trying to figure out what to do for our next family car, lease up in Dec. 3 kids (14, 10, 10, all skinny) and have always had a 3 row SUV but my wife is tired of a huge car and we want an EV or at least a PHEV to do commuting on battery. The pricing on the Y right now is so tempting. For bigger trips would have to get a roof cargo box or something. Sorry for the off topic stuff.
I also have a MYP and can tell you it is the best all around vehicle I’ve ever owned. It truly does 99% of what most people need a vehicle for. I have two kids, more like young adults now, we are all tall average build and we have plenty of room inside. There is also a ton of cargo space as well…can’t remember ever having and issue where we needed more. I’d jump all over the 0.99% deal if we didn’t already have one!

Once a VIN get assigned you get prompted to complete the pre-delivery tasks in the app. When you get to schedule portion it will give you a date range. If memory is correct I think the range is 3-5 days
Your memory is correct 👍 I had 5 consecutive days (wed to sun) that were available for me to schedule M3P delivery.

I also have a MYP and can tell you it is the best all around vehicle I’ve ever owned. It truly does 99% of what most people need a vehicle for. I have two kids, more like young adults now, we are all tall average build and we have plenty of room inside. There is also a ton of cargo space as well…can’t remember ever having and issue where we needed more. I’d jump all over the 0.99% deal if we didn’t already have one!
MYP really is perfect. Only reason I’m going back to a 3 is the AC in the Y sucks with such an open cabin. Once the juniper y gets those ventilated seats it’ll be perfect

Reactions: arkhos and JezzaE

Nice. The biggest issue will be ski trips with 5 pairs of skis and lots of luggage. I guess we could figure out an alternative plan for those trips as sometimes it's just going to the airport but not always. For other road trips we don't tend to have as much stuff.

Last edited:

Maybe a Model Y or Rivian R2 or one of Hyundai's EV SUVs.