Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha unfortunately the test cars are limited to 80mph~
Hopefully also not chill mode??
Ok so 0-60, 40-80, 60-80…

I’m also quite interested in the suspension handling give the highland LR is softer than the outgoing 3 but sacrifices some handling.

Curious if it handles more like the old P but softer overall.

Also if you have a moment, can you check what psi they use for stock? I tend to run my 22’ LR at 38/39 to soak up small road imperfections. If they are set to 44, would be great to let some air out and see how it feels at 40! 🙏🏽

Thx!

Agreed.

Elon tweeted a few weeks ago “Tesla prices must change frequently in order to match production with demand.”

So demand must be much higher than production rn, and then demand tails off as the fall/winter comes but production remains constant.
And it makes perfect sense that's exactly what's happening because a lot of people are eligible for the tax credit.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Ok boys and girls I have good news and bad news.

Bad news. I only got 30mins with the car but even worse it was drizzling. I'd call it a light rain, enough for wipers at times.

I weigh 220lbs. Soc was 75% with 21deg celcius/69farenheit.

All I could get was a single 0-100kph run, so keep that in mind.

The good, at 75% soc with a damp non prepped surface with my 220lbs the car did 0-100kph in 3.34. 0-100 in 3.16 with 1ft roll-out. Exactly the claim.

I'm 100% sure it could go faster in optimum conditions with a warmer battery on a dry surface.

Since it was a bit wet and on a public highway for only a few mins I didn't get a chance to do a full 1/4 or anything.

So while the top end power is still a debate, there's no doubt the LG pack is capable of a 2.9x to 60 with roll out.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240517_134947_dragy.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240517_134947_dragy.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 6
It is important to understand that Tesla claims 16% more max rear torque. That defines 0-40 mph and will be slightly quicker.

Then they say 32% more max rear HP but this is at a vastly different speed. The old car hit max HP for a brief second at 55 mph. The new car hits it at 68 mph for the rear motor but overall max HP could span from 40-95 mph because the battery has now become the limiting factor.

The new car may have a total HP curve that is extremely close if not identical from 40-60 mph but then the old car falls off considerably compared to the new car.

The predicted graph below shows it. This new car will shine above 60 mph but not as much from 40-60 mph especially if that battery isn’t fully optimized.

IMG_5775.jpeg

Reactions: duncanduncan
Ok boys and girls I have good news and bad news.

Bad news. I only got 30mins with the car but even worse it was drizzling. I'd call it a light rain, enough for wipers at times.

I weigh 220lbs. Soc was 75% with 21deg celcius/69farenheit.

All I could get was a single 0-100kph run, so keep that in mind.

The good, at 75% soc with a damp non prepped surface with my 220lbs the car did 0-100kph in 3.34. 0-100 in 3.16 with 1ft roll-out. Exactly the claim.

I'm 100% sure it could go faster in optimum conditions with a warmer battery on a dry surface.

Since it was a bit wet and on a public highway for only a few mins I didn't get a chance to do a full 1/4 or anything.

So while the top end power is still a debate, there's no doubt the LG pack is capable of a 2.9x to 60 with roll out.

Very nice. Aside from the numbers, if you’ve had seat time in a prior m3p, how does the acceleration and power compare? What are your overall impressions of the car?

I've got whiplash trying to keep track of their pricing 'decisions'. Two changes in less than one month?
Odd as in Canada it’s remained 69k since opening day. Hmmm 🤔

Using 1.32 as they have, 53k was exactly 69.9k

Now at 55k, it should be 72.6k cnd.
Our exch rate hasn’t improved any. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Let’s chalk it up to the LG lol. 😆

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jgleigh
Odd as in Canada it’s remained 69k since opening day. Hmmm 🤔

Using 1.32 as they have, 53k was exactly 69.9k

Now at 55k, it should be 72.6k cnd.
Our exch rate hasn’t improved any. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Let’s chalk it up to the LG lol. 😆
So in light of this…bit the bullet! Figured lock it in before exch rate update kicks in.

IMG_2418.png

Very nice. Aside from the numbers, if you’ve had seat time in a prior m3p, how does the acceleration and power compare? What are your overall impressions of the car?
I have had some but limited time in a prefl m3p. But it has been a while so hard to make direct comparisons.

As for the new car.

The power felt strong and consistent. Traction is excellent. It was damp with wet patches and it still pulled strong with no tramlining. Mashing the throttle at 30mph was smooth and gained speed very very quickly, as you would expect. Based on my 25years of fast car driving, felt every bit of 550hp.

The suspension is a strong point, good damping over stronger bumps like speedbumps, very smooth on the highway at 65mph, very quiet allthough some tyre noise could be heard over coarser roads. I purposely had the stereo off to make noises more obvious.

The steering had good turn in, very pointy, very controllable, slightly artifical at times, allthough as I was on a public road in a test car I wasn't pushing too hard. I think it will be a hoot on track.

Didn't really get to test the brakes, 1 pedal driving was easy.

The seats were comfortable and fit me perfectly, 220lbs 5ft4, short and stocky.
The seat cooling was wonderful and covered all the way to the neck allthough you could hear the motors.

Based on my 35mins of driving, anyone who buys this car will be extremely happy, especially at the price.

It's well sorted, comfortable, more than fast enough at legal speeds (here's hoping it has the top end to match) but even so, there has been so many upgrades it feels like what the car should have been to begin with.

I have had some but limited time in a prefl m3p. But it has been a while so hard to make direct comparisons.

As for the new car.

The power felt strong and consistent. Traction is excellent. It was damp with wet patches and it still pulled strong with no tramlining. Mashing the throttle at 30mph was smooth and gained speed very very quickly, as you would expect. Based on my 25years of fast car driving, felt every bit of 550hp.

The suspension is a strong point, good damping over stronger bumps like speedbumps, very smooth on the highway at 65mph, very quiet allthough some tyre noise could be heard over coarser roads. I purposely had the stereo off to make noises more obvious.

The steering had good turn in, very pointy, very controllable, slightly artifical at times, allthough as I was on a public road in a test car I wasn't pushing too hard. I think it will be a hoot on track.

The seat cooling was wonderful and covered all the way to the neck allthough you could hear the motors.

Based on my 35mins of driving, anyone who buys this car will be extremely happy, especially at the price.

It's well sorted, comfortable, more than fast enough at legal speeds (here's hoping it has the top end to match) but even so, there has been so many upgrades it feels like what the car should have been to begin with.
Thank you. That is an excellent and well written review.

Reactions: duncanduncan

As for the new car.

Amazing review bud! Ok so given I’m 175 and if I say put in some light 19’ rims, run her to 100% soc, dry day at 25c, warm up tires… a 0-100 3.0 w/roll possible?

Man now I can’t wait to see when a Lud update will come. (Notice I didn’t say IF)
🙏🏽

• Funny
Reactions: cptnslo