Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to check in and see if this fixed your seat-back vibrations long-term? Specifically the ~30-60mph rumble/vibration. It's all I can think about - it's like a sickness.

And vibration is how I would describe it, really. Over smooth roads (nothing is perfectly smooth) it is a fairly high frequency shake/vibration/disturbance right through the seats. Passengers can feel it, too, so not specific to the actual seat itself.
2024MX LR delivered 3/1. My experience is the exact same (both in terms of the car and all I can think about). I loved my TM3 and told everyone it was the best purchase I ever made. I don't feel that way at all about this car sadly.

Reactions: MobileMikeV
I've owned all the Tesla models now except the S, and IMO they all have pretty poor suspension. The Y is the absolute worst. My 3 performance is actually a better ride overall than the LR Y, and that's with the new comfort suspension.

The X is much better than the Y -- but you're right, it doesn't exactly float over the road like you might think it should based on the price.
I know this is an old thread and I’m still reading through it. I too had a Model 3, replaced it with an X, and recently added a Y. I’ve always heard how horrible the ride is in Y, but I actually found it to be the best among the 3. X and 3 and similar. I was expecting a big upgrade in ride quality and road noise when I took delivery of my X, but there was none. I almost thought there was something wrong with my X after getting the Y, but after riding in 2 difference Xs from 2 friends, mine was just the same. Personally I like the ride quality of the Y best. The 3 was from 2018, X was 2022, and Y was 2024.

Thank you for the info! I have a 2019 M3P with 84k mi and it is like silk on smooth roads that the X shakes on just as you describe. I have demo'd the new 3, Y, and S and they are leagues better.

I feel two kinds of shakeing. One is a kind of "cold start" rumble that I believe is from the HVAC compressor or some kind of warmup using the motors. The other one is, if I press my head against the headrest, it rattles/shakes my head around. I believe that is some bug in the adaptive suspension, it differs slightly when you change the suspension settings. Maybe they will submit a software fix at some point, but I notice I'm not pressing my head agains the headrest very often. Simply resting my head doesn't result in the same shake.

I know this is an old thread and I’m still reading through it. I too had a Model 3, replaced it with an X, and recently added a Y. I’ve always heard how horrible the ride is in Y, but I actually found it to be the best among the 3. X and 3 and similar. I was expecting a big upgrade in ride quality and road noise when I took delivery of my X, but there was none. I almost thought there was something wrong with my X after getting the Y, but after riding in 2 difference Xs from 2 friends, mine was just the same. Personally I like the ride quality of the Y best. The 3 was from 2018, X was 2022, and Y was 2024.
I'm surprised by this. I've now owned a 3P, SLR, and XP, and ridden for extended periods in Ys. The X is by no means what I would call great for ride comfort considering other luxury cars, but I feel there's a significant step up from the 3/Y to S/X. The Y is a definite improvement over the 3, and the X is a marginal improvement over the S (probably due to my wheels/tires, in this case), but if I had to rate them all out of 10 it would be something like:

3: 4.5/10
Y: 5.5/10
S: 7/10
X: 7.5/10

Note: scores reflect ride comfort ONLY. Not handling ability.

This past week I took a MYLR uber from JFK to a long term parking lot where my MXP was located near Newark, NJ when I returned from London (a good 90 min drive in rush hour with a few high speed highway segments) and it was just awful. Granted, road conditions aren't great there, but that's really the test of a suspension.

YMMV, of course.