Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost made the weekend, the nag still exists in certain situations then wonder what this means

There are details in the linked article: "the camera is not occluded, there is sufficient cabin illumination, and the driver is looking forward at the road ahead and not wearing sunglasses, a hat with a low brim, or other objects covering the eyes"

There are details in the linked article: "the camera is not occluded, there is sufficient cabin illumination, and the driver is looking forward at the road ahead and not wearing sunglasses, a hat with a low brim, or other objects covering the eyes"
So if you aren’t looking straight at the road at all times it will still ask to move the steering instead of just saying to look at the road

So if you aren’t looking straight at the road at all times it will still ask to move the steering instead of just saying to look at the road

Sounds like it, yes. Also small change to the strike-out system, with them automatically expiring after a week:
Outside of these circumstances, the driver monitoring system will continue to rely on a combination of torque-based (steering wheel) and vision-based monitoring to detect driver attentiveness.

If the camera detects the driver to be inattentive, a warning will appear. The warning can be dismissed by the driver immediately reverting their attention back to the road ahead. Warnings will escalate depending on the nature and frequency of detected inattentiveness, with continuous inattention leading to a Strikeout.

One Autopilot Strikeout will be forgiven for each 7-day period in which you do not receive any Strikeouts. Each time you receive a Strikeout, this timer will restart.

That's unfortunate. Don't most people wear sunglasses during the day while driving?

Looks good, except for the sunglass requirement...

That's unfortunate. Don't most people wear sunglasses during the day while driving?

Looks good, except for the sunglass requirement...
Good chance not much help based on the sunglasses requirement. Of course Elon never actually said nags were going away. The Tesla community just jumped to a lot of conclusions based on one word replies by Elon. That happens a lot. We'll just have to see how the new monitoring system has been implemented but still improvement.

Last edited:
Good chance not much help based on the sunglasses requirement. Of course Elon never actually said nags were going away. The Tesla community just jumped to a lot of conclusions based on one word replies by Elon. That happens a lot. We'll just have to see how the new monitoring system has been implemented.
But a step forward is a step forward. Let's at least appreciate that we're moving in the right direction.

Hopefully it will get even better with 12.5.

Sounds like it, yes. Also small change to the strike-out system, with them automatically expiring after a week:
If you don't get another strike in that week.

I think this is a very good improvement, as it should eliminate the problem of getting to 4 strikes, and then even after weeks of no strikes hitting a 5th and loosing FSDs for a week.

I wear sunglasses when I drive on very bright, sunny days. It is a bummer that I may not get the full benefit of "hands-free" during the summer.

If the FSD network is this sensitive to resampling noise, that's a very bad sign, given how robust to all sorts of other environmental noise it needs to be. (Dust, dirt, rain, condensation, pigeons, etc.) My guess is that the downsampled HW4 images will generally be far higher quality than native HW3 images, and this should more than make up for any subtle resampling noise.
Generally yes, but if you’re doubling the amount of noise you won’t improve the results. That’s ’if,’ though. All this is simply supposition.

As usual we’re taking an unclear comment by Elon and trying to figure out what he meant, if anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
It feels like the v12.4 'over the weekend' release was by the skin of their teeth. Hopefully it lives up to expectations as everything TSLA is heavily dependent on FSD success these days.

We've been waiting for v12 e2e magic to materialize for a while now. Aside from the usual sycophants, if v12.4 doesn't demonstrate significant improvements it might finally be time to stick a fork in the TSLA approach. 🎤(drop)

I wear sunglasses when I drive on very bright, sunny days. It is a bummer that I may not get the full benefit of "hands-free" during the summer.
My eyes are pretty sensitive, so I wear sunglasses just about any time I'm not wearing my yellow night-vision glasses. But I can see being in a mood for hands-free and just sacrificing the sunglasses for that period. OTOH, keeping some torque on the yoke has never been all that much of an inconvenience.

If the cabin camera can't see your eyes, makes sense to default back to the steering nag. I think a lot of people saw the tweet about the steering nag removal and got super excited thinking it was absolute instead of only under the right conditions. Assuming it works as intended, this is a big step forward in my opinion and will happily not wear sunglasses or find some with only a light tint so the car can stare deeply into my eyes just like a Jane Austen novel.

The question ultimately will be how sensitive and how quickly the cabin camera triggers a nag based on where you are looking. While I haven't personally experienced it, have seen many others complain that it only takes a few seconds of looking at the screen to trigger a nag. What I wonder though is if that triggers much faster when it sees your hand going towards the screen instead of just your eyes looking at the screen for traffic visualization or something else. If so, this is when pressing the mic button and using voice commands may work better. Certainly something to test.

The rate of new releases and speed of progress on FSD however is extremely exciting.