Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging for life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2018 MX came with free supercharging first life. We’ve mostly been living out of the car for the past 3 weeks as we drive around the US on an roadtrip.
It’s worked so well, I’m contemplating shipping the car to Europe next year for an epic road trip there.
The question is will free SC for life apply in we ship the car to Europe and use it there? Or does that some how invalidate free supercharging for life.

Our 2018 MX came with free supercharging first life. We’ve mostly been living out of the car for the past 3 weeks as we drive around the US on an roadtrip.
It’s worked so well, I’m contemplating shipping the car to Europe next year for an epic road trip there.
The question is will free SC for life apply in we ship the car to Europe and use it there? Or does that some how invalidate free supercharging for life.
Unfortunately American Teslas are not compatible with European superchargers.

Awww that sucks - is there not an adapter avaailble?
A quick Google search turned up these. I have no experience with them.

Buy USA Tesla adapter for Europe supercharger
NEW! Tesla Supercharger Adapter – European to US – EVSE Adapters

Also notice on the 2nd page "Caution – to be used only for supercharging. For destination chargers and non-Tesla stations, use our Type 2 to Type 1 adapter instead."

You will need to do that since I doubt you'll find any stations with Tesla's North American connector in Europe. Public charging in Europe is Mennekes Type 2 (Type 2 connector - Wikipedia) and unlike in the US where the J1772 cable and handle is tethered to the station, one normally brings their own Type 2 cable to plug into the station.

From a quick glance thru that site, you'd want to use European to US Type 2 (IEC / Mennekes) to Type 1 (J1772) EV Adapter – EVSE Adapters connected to SAE J1772 Charging Adapter to AC charge your car there.

Awww that sucks - is there not an adapter avaailble?
You would be much better off renting a European speced car in Europe. They have other changes beyond the charger including a different version of AutoPilot meeting EU specs. Also, they use CSS 2 EU specs plugs so you can charge both at Superchargers and at the common CCS2 DC fast chargers provided by many European charging companies.