Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber(nota)truck even more Not a truck than I first thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All those rivian owners hate their air suspension offroad. 😂
Dear @bucketsOlaughs -

If you did any research at all, re Rivian, you will find many posts of lopsided suspensions due to failed suspension air pillows. In fact, my front right failed about 6 months into ownership, so ha ha ha ha ha ha and fun fun fun fun to you. 😆 :D:rolleyes:🤡

Last edited:
The biggest problem with the CT isn’t that it has IRS, heck hummvess and JLTVs have IRS. It is the weak components (like the UCA) as well as air springs.
Have there been any UCA failures other than the company that put on snowmobile tracks which moved the wheel offset about a foot outward? The only failure I’ve heard about is the rear tie rods.
Air springs are great for ride quality with changing payload. Many big rigs have air bags so clearly they can be made to handle large loads. Sure for a dedicated off-roader you don't want air springs but they work well for a vehicle that will be driven hundreds of miles on pavement and then twenty miles off-road to get to a campsite or trailhead.
The biggest problem with the CT is the crap range and charge curve.

Reactions: TessP100D
Have there been any UCA failures other than the company that put on snowmobile tracks which moved the wheel offset about a foot outward? The only failure I’ve heard about is the rear tie rods.
Air springs are great for ride quality with changing payload. Many big rigs have air bags so clearly they can be made to handle large loads. Sure for a dedicated off-roader you don't want air springs but they work well for a vehicle that will be driven hundreds of miles on pavement and then twenty miles off-road to get to a campsite or trailhead.
Period after, “crap,” also works! 🤣

Reactions: TessP100D
There have been a few videos of the suspension and the front UCA look straight off a model 3.

As for air, yes it is fine for road vehicles and works for load leveling. Jeep, MB, rover, ram,…. All use air on their urban on road vehicles (not on their off road models). But per the discussion my point was about off road.

And this thing is being marketed as an off roader, heck it comes with 35’s.

Air suspension completely sucks off road as when you raise the suspension it increases the spring rate and you lose articulation. My brother had a GV trailhawk that was useless in the high position.

And for pathetic range. I fully agree. That was the #1 reason I canceled my reservation. By ironically I got my invite to order for delivery in April. Which I’m not doing, still waiting on my $100

Attachments

• IMG_1095.png
    IMG_1095.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
There have been a few videos of the suspension and the front UCA look straight off a model 3.

As for air, yes it is fine for road vehicles and works for load leveling. Jeep, MB, rover, ram,…. All use air on their urban on road vehicles (not on their off road models). But per the discussion my point was about off road.

And this thing is being marketed as an off roader, heck it comes with 35’s.

Air suspension completely sucks off road as when you raise the suspension it increases the spring rate and you lose articulation. My brother had a GV trailhawk that was useless in the high position.

And for pathetic range. I fully agree. That was the #1 reason I canceled my reservation. By ironically I got my invite to order for delivery in April. Which I’m not doing, still waiting on my $100
The UCA sees very little stress. Check out the UCA on a Raptor:
1708891429066.png

A Rivian R1S did the Rubicon trail and I'm sure it was teetering on two wheels the entire way through. On the other hand it's a much better handling vehicle on the road than anything else as capable. All the vehicles you mentioned are plenty capable of "overlanding" which is the type of capability that most people want.
A full size truck will never be a great rock crawler due to size so the compromise of an air suspension makes sense to me.

I consider Overlanding being miles away from Civilization. Something like what these people are doing. Which company will be the First to Modify an electric Truck for serious Overlanding?

That third video is defining a new category of "rocklander" which is seeking out difficult obstacles. Overlanding is just driving on poorly maintained dirt roads and remote camping. For example you could drive on most of the dirt roads in Death Valley in a Cybertruck and get far away from civilization.
277163223_335161361987371_135944962189186444_n.jpg

More like this level of difficulty, easy in a stock 4x4 but not something you'd want to do in a crossover.

Reactions: FLRifleman