Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI_a112 - USB device malfunction - I/O Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update to my earlier post: after 2024.14.6 and 2024.14.7 software updates, the issue persists. USB drive will be recognized and function intermittently. A reboot fixes the issue temporarily. Completed 4th service visit (2 mobile/2 service center) for this issue today. SC replaced the USB hub and the cable (harness) that connects the hub to the MCU. Doesn't fix the issue at all (I'm not sure why Tesla is so quick to replace hardware for an issue they identify as a "firmware" issue?). Same explanation as before, this is a known firmware bug and will be fixed in a future release. I'm contemplating starting arbitration at this point. This issue has come and gone since 2020 with no definitive fix.
Wow thanks for the update though! I’m installing 2024.14.8 as I type this. I’ll also give an update in the morning if anything changes.

Update to my earlier post: after 2024.14.6 and 2024.14.7 software updates, the issue persists. USB drive will be recognized and function intermittently. A reboot fixes the issue temporarily. Completed 4th service visit (2 mobile/2 service center) for this issue today. SC replaced the USB hub and the cable (harness) that connects the hub to the MCU. Doesn't fix the issue at all (I'm not sure why Tesla is so quick to replace hardware for an issue they identify as a "firmware" issue?). Same explanation as before, this is a known firmware bug and will be fixed in a future release. I'm contemplating starting arbitration at this point. This issue has come and gone since 2020 with no definitive fix.
Very helpful. As everyone seems to happen at random when the car should be asleep when there is no interaction either from scheduled charging or manual waking. Makes me wonder if it's occurring during data sharing to Tesla. Has anyone tried switching off data charing in the autopilot menu?

Very helpful. As everyone seems to happen at random when the car should be asleep when there is no interaction either from scheduled charging or manual waking. Makes me wonder if it's occurring during data sharing to Tesla. Has anyone tried switching off data charing in the autopilot menu?
It’s funny you’re saying this, I randomly turned off all data sharing last night and still got the error while my car was asleep at 4:40am lol

Also, error still persists even after 2024.14.8

I just formatted the tesla USB once again within the car to see if it does anything while my car is asleep while I’m at work. Figured maybe since the new update, formatting would help. Will give an update if any changes

• Informative
Reactions: Flybyglass
It’s funny you’re saying this, I randomly turned off all data sharing last night and still got the error while my car was asleep at 4:40am lol

Also, error still persists even after 2024.14.8

I just formatted the tesla USB once again within the car to see if it does anything while my car is asleep while I’m at work. Figured maybe since the new update, formatting would help. Will give an update if any changes
IMG_8913.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Flybyglass
I have the same exact problem.