Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DSGS VPP working, even on ancient PW firmware!

1717122260778.png

Reactions: Tim-in-CA
I was taking a look at the terms of the DSGS plan again, specifically the compensation examples. There is now a mention of a baseline of 1kWh per Powerwall per event hour for systems installed prior to July 2023. So a single Powerwall system performing at 5kw per hour during an event would only get credit for 4kW when doing the compensation calculation. I'm pretty sure I didn't see that before when I enrolled.
VPP with DSGS
Hmm, that is very strange and it makes me want to save a PDF of everything that Tesla claims. My recollection is that this had a qualifier of "if you had taken a SGIP" payment or something similar.

Interesting my site export limit has changed. Last year I was capped at ~7.6 kW. I just noticed it was exporting at 9.5 kW and checked the API. The export limit was bumped up to 10.6 kW.
Powerwall was exporting at 9.5kW or the grid was getting 9.5kW?

My grid export maximum is 7.83kW and it hasn't gone over that, but my Powerwalls are hitting 9.8kW when the AC kicks in.

Powerwall was exporting at 9.5kW or the grid was getting 9.5kW?

My grid export maximum is 7.83kW and it hasn't gone over that, but my Powerwalls are hitting 9.8kW when the AC kicks in.
Yes to grid. PWs were exporting at their 10 kW max for x2 PWs. When my system was initially installed the export limit was "infinite." Not infinite but a one with more zeros than I cared to count. I think it was when I first joined the VPP a couple years ago it was dropped to the ~7.6 kW (the CEC rating on my interconnection agreement) or it could have been associated with the addition of the export everything option. I honestly didn't remember the exact timing.

Strange, now that the VPP event has ended my PW is charging from the grid. I have grid charging set to NO although the SOC is below my normal 30% reserve. VPP reserve is 20%. Charging at 3.8kW.

Edit to add I'm in self powered mode.

Edit 2: adding attachment.

Edit 3: It has stopped charging when it reached the 30% reserve.

1000005452.png

Last edited:
Well some of the mystery for my system was solved with this event and some is still pending. It appears that both DSGS and ELRP were active tonight. I am sure Tesla accounting will decide which to credit me for later.

As far as not having a VPP reserve to set. I saw that the current PW2 FW does not support separate reserves so the regular reserve is used until a later FW is delivered.

1717132078217.jpeg
1717132109405.jpeg

Interesting my site export limit has changed. Last year I was capped at ~7.6 kW. I just noticed it was exporting at 9.5 kW and checked the API. The export limit was bumped up to 10.6 kW.
Similar situation here. I have my export capped at 5500 for managing export rate (personal preference). I went to increase it before the event and it was already at 7850 (or something like that). I wasn’t sure if that was a fixed export rate for the event or if I didn’t have an export limit it would put out the full 10kw.

Regardless my house still was drawing .8-1.5kw so at times it was pushing out 10kw (max for the x2).

Reactions: yblaser
Wow. Where are you that the Sun is still up at 7pm??? I struggle to get anything past 6:30pm right now.
Sun is still up until past 8 PM these days in CA, for example. As far as solar generation goes around that time, that in good part depends on which way panels might point, their incline, what's around them as far as the sun perhaps being low enough at that point where nearby trees and/or buildings might be blocking a lot of it, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
Hmm, that is very strange and it makes me want to save a PDF of everything that Tesla claims. My recollection is that this had a qualifier of "if you had taken a SGIP" payment or something similar.
It seems like the SGIP part might mainly refer to one of the Acknowledgement items listed in DSGS Program Participation Agreement in relation to enrolling:
"You have not received and will not apply for SGIP incentives (note: this is only applicable if Your permission to operate date is after July 1, 2023)."

DSGS VPP working, even on ancient PW firmware!

View attachment 1052100
Yes, same for me. I'm on that FW version too. Other than not being able to set a separate reserve PW level for VPP events, it all went as planned utilizing my main system reserve level. I was surprised that I only exported 15.9kWh over the course of two hours (reserve was set to 5%) ... the max rate was 8.1kW. I have 2x PW2's. Hopefully DSDG turns out to be a better deal than the original VPP plan.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks