Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle help - 2023 M3LR - Rattle on passenger side at speeds > 50 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Like some of you, my M3 has been noisy since the get-go. I've brought it to the service center numerous times in an attempt to work through the different squeaks, clunks, and rattles. I have most of them taken care of except for a few that are infrequent and not very noticeable during normal driving conditions. However, there's been one rattle in an ambiguous location that has been a thorn in my ass since the day I took delivery and has only gotten worse. The rattle sounds like plastic-on-plastic or perhaps a loose wiring harness or bolt. It's a sharp, irregular ticking sound that seems to come from the passenger side near the wheel well, but I'm not entirely sure. As a matter of fact, I've found a YouTube video with the sound I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7zs0aFdMA0. What I find odd is that it only occurs at highway speeds. It doesn't matter what temperature it is, what the driving surface is like, or if it's raining or snowing. It always occurs above 50 MPH and is the same intensity no matter what. Bearing all of this in mind I'm pretty convinced it has to do with high speed air buffeting/vibrating something; either there is something in the HVAC system bouncing around (like a tree seed or pebble), or there's a piece of plastic bouncing off of some metal piece.

What I've done so far:

• I removed every item from the glovebox and center consoles.
  • I've inspected the fender liner on the passenger side, which wasn't properly installed (snapped the tab back under the opposite side). I notice that it does seem to make a rattle noise if I tap it or move it around a little bit. However, I'm not sure how to remove the liner to add some foam underneath so it doesn't contact the metal so much.
  • I took off the maintenance cover of the cabin air intake and cleaned it out (no debris). I inspected the clips and everything appeared to be in order.
  • I inspected the frunk clips (not very much play I doubt this is what's making the noise), and made sure everything was tight and firmly in place. I've also removed every loose item from the frunk and placed it in my trunk or in my home.
At this point I think it's the fender liner or the HVAC system - I would take it to the service center again but the people at my location tend to take one step forward then two steps back every time I bring it in. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Have any of you successfully dealt with this before?

Just as an update to this: I have applied some foam tape to the wheel well liner which I believe has improved the noise. However, I do want to say that I've realized that may not have been the source of the noise. Yesterday my girlfriend was in the car with me and the passenger seat was making a very similar noise and creaking unbelievably loudly with any kind of shift in weight, speed, or direction. I've done some research on this and I plan on taking a look at the rails the seat moves on to look for metal shavings or wear. If it's present I'm just going to document it and start a service ticket to (hopefully) have the seat replaced.

Upvote 0
Just as an update to this: I have applied some foam tape to the wheel well liner which I believe has improved the noise. However, I do want to say that I've realized that may not have been the source of the noise. Yesterday my girlfriend was in the car with me and the passenger seat was making a very similar noise and creaking unbelievably loudly with any kind of shift in weight, speed, or direction. I've done some research on this and I plan on taking a look at the rails the seat moves on to look for metal shavings or wear. If it's present I'm just going to document it and start a service ticket to (hopefully) have the seat replaced.
Hi, where is the wheel well liner that you applied a tape on?

Did you check the clips behind the door?

Upvote 0