Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Italy Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from our trip to Lake Como. My plan was to go via one of Furka Pass but the owner of the Airbnb that we stayed at in Switzerland said "Oh, we've recently had lots of snow, lets check..." CLOSED! Instead we went via Simplon Pass and the car train through the mountain before it.
Screenshot_20240512-201458_Gallery.jpg

Our nearest Supercharger was about 50km away which meant that we were at the mercy of whatever local which wasn't great. In the town and most nearby were only 11kW. DC chargers, first one worked but not several days later. Tried one, only doing AC, next one totally dead. Next after that only delivery 36kW. We did visit a museum in Como and used a charger at the railway, that was reasonably cheap at 56p, only the second one I tried worked.
On the one day that we headed to Bergamo, the entire 20 stall Supercharger site was down and came back online when we where half way back to our accommodation. Grr.
Good trip though and some fun efficiency figures (current drive):-
IMG-20240512-WA0007.jpg

Route down was through France, overnight Airbnb in Bern so that we could do a leisurely trip across picture postcard Switzerland in the daytime. Route back was via Splugen Pass and through the Black Forest (Germany), Strasbourg and Belgium.

At Arlon Supercharger, we also previewed the new Mercedes Convertible EV (sarcasm of course):-
20240511_174329.jpg

1715542509903.jpeg

1715542547168.jpeg

Returning home this morning, Octopus Agile gave us a treat too, right in time for a recharge from 14%!
1715542722566.png

Anyway, just sharing another "Trip to the local shops" because that's all these EV things are useful for. ;) Now thinking about where to go for the next one.

Instead we went via Simplon Pass and the car train through the mountain before it.

I’m soon to travel Milan to Paris via TGV but part of the line is closed due to a rock fall last year so I’m on a bus replacement service between below.

1715544332011.png

Do these places mean anything to you? Slightly concerned if bus replacement service is blocked due to heavy snow…

Hopefully there is now a train route through the Alps and the line is open again even though tickets still showing autocar.

Unfortunately not. The mountain tunnel train that bypassed the Furka pass started for us at Kandersteg if that helps?

This link may help someone, one day to check the status

Last edited:
I am thinking about doing a sort of mini European road trip, but I would want to be fairly brief (say a week to 10 days). Of course, the issue with this is that I would have to be constantly on the go to fit in exploration, or fairly static in order to enjoy the location.

I imagine my best bet is to take longer annual leave and try to find a sweet spot between the 2.

Norway we found to be nicer than Switzerland, Lake Gardia is a possibility for us next summer, but I also want to do South France and Spain.
Yes, we want to do Norway but I figured i'd wait until I replace the tyres then go for some winter rated all season for that trip. Also want to do Spain for which I think we'd do the ferry down to Santander or Bilaou (i'm not a great ferry fan) but then come back via France and LeShuttle. That way if I hate the ferry, I don't have to do the return trip. :)

I am thinking about doing a sort of mini European road trip, but I would want to be fairly brief (say a week to 10 days). Of course, the issue with this is that I would have to be constantly on the go to fit in exploration, or fairly static in order to enjoy the location.

I imagine my best bet is to take longer annual leave and try to find a sweet spot between the 2.
That's all we had. We travelled down on a Friday after work (no charge stops) to Calais and stayed at a hotel on the Calais side with superchargers. Arriving around midnight, that allowed us to charge up ready for an immediate trip start in France. The last time we did it we stayed on the UK side and then started the day with the crossing which wasted time.
Return trip was a long drive up on the following Saturday to a hotel about an hour South of Calais. Not my best choice of accommodation, towels weren't included but I did get change from £30 :D. We were only there from 10pm until 5am though.
As you say, do it in a compromise, make the travel part of the trip.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
did that in our M3 in May 2023 (and back). DM me if you want any details.

Driving to south of France this December for a couple of weeks near Nice. Will be taking the train across the Channel as ferries can be a bit iffy that time of year.
Thanks, I was looking at the price of the ferry the other night (itching for another trip!), I just threw some September dates in and about £1000. For the off peak LeShuttle, that's about £250. I can get a lot of supercharger miles across France and another sub £30 hotel "room" and change. My wife so appreciates the fleabag hotel rooms, the look she gave me is permanently etched.
So i'm just thinking about the "benefit" of not driving for hours across France, although don't struggle with that, vs just arriving and including the boat as part of the trip.

Why would you hate the ferry....you have to be quick to book the suties though, they tend to sell out almost as soon as bookings are opened up.

52247396273_bc3c17f6d7_c_d.jpg
Just a bad experience many years ago. Harwich to Hook of Holland. I found the whole check-in, then do nothing for 2 hours, then 9 hour crossing with an inside cabin=seasickness. Then on arrival another 2 hours before we got off. That was the good crossing. The other way took an additional hour to dock due to weather.
I just didn't enjoy it. 🙂

Just a bad experience many years ago. Harwich to Hook of Holland. I found the whole check-in, then do nothing for 2 hours, then 9 hour crossing with an inside cabin=seasickness. Then on arrival another 2 hours before we got off. That was the good crossing. The other way took an additional hour to dock due to weather.
I just didn't enjoy it. 🙂

Book the right cabin/suite, and you will be first inline to get on the ferry. The cost difference between the top suites/cabin for the experience you get is amazing value, especially when compared to first/business class costs on a plane.