Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW 2.5 + Intel vs HW 3.0 + Intel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

I saw that I can upgrade to HW 3.0 for $1,000 on the app. But I do have intel + HW 2.5 and noted that I’m missing a lot features vs a HW 3 car with AMD (auto lane change indicator cancellation).

Is there a good reason to upgrade the computer?

Also, are the features such as auto lane change indicator cancellation not available d/t intel or not having Hw 3.0 computer?

First off, which car and configuration do you have now?

When you say "auto lane change indicator cancellation," do you mean if you're driving manually and use the turn signal, the signal turns off automatically after changing lanes? If so, HW3 won't make a difference. If not, what did you mean?

Some people who did not buy FSD were able to get free upgrades to HW3, so search the forum for that topic before spending any money. Unless you plan to subscribe to FSD, I don't think there's any compelling reason to pay for a HW3 upgrade.

Reactions: Mohain
First off, which car and configuration do you have now?

When you say "auto lane change indicator cancellation," do you mean if you're driving manually and use the turn signal, the signal turns off automatically after changing lanes? If so, HW3 won't make a difference. If not, what did you mean?

Some people who did not buy FSD were able to get free upgrades to HW3, so search the forum for that topic before spending any money. Unless you plan to subscribe to FSD, I don't think there's any compelling reason to pay for a HW3 upgrade.
2018 LR RWD HW 2.5 Intel w/ EAP. Thanks for your input! And yes the manual turn signals being turned off.

I didn’t know that some got free upgrades to HW 3. Will check. Thanks.

Would you say there’s no need to upgrade to HW 3.0 of one is to not get FSD? I already have EAP.

Would you say there’s no need to upgrade to HW 3.0 of one is to not get FSD? I already have EAP.
If you have to pay for the upgrade, I don't think you'll get any real benefit. Without FSD, HW3 gives you slightly better driver visualizations, but that's about all. Both of our previous HW2.5 2018 Teslas (S and 3) were upgraded to HW3 in 2019 because we bought FSD, but I didn't notice any difference in AP performance after the upgrade. This was before FSD Beta, so at that time FSD was really just EAP with a couple of minor additional features.

Hello everyone.

I saw that I can upgrade to HW 3.0 for $1,000 on the app. But I do have intel + HW 2.5 and noted that I’m missing a lot features vs a HW 3 car with AMD (auto lane change indicator cancellation).

Is there a good reason to upgrade the computer?

Also, are the features such as auto lane change indicator cancellation not available d/t intel or not having Hw 3.0 computer?
Hello, can you tell me what selections you made in Service in the App in order to see the $1000 price for upgrade from HW 2.5 to HW 3.0. I own a 2018 M3 LR. Thanks

Hello, can you tell me what selections you made in Service in the App in order to see the $1000 price for upgrade from HW 2.5 to HW 3.0. I own a 2018 M3 LR. Thanks
Tesla app - Upgrades - Software Upgrades - Learn (if choosing subscribe). You’ll see the following.

1716940166768.png