Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Adaptors 101

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone in SA is thinking about installing a Tesla HPWC, you might want to move sooner rather than later, because it seems like you won't be allowed to after July 1:

I can get why solar inverters needs to be able to be controlled by DNSPs, in order to prevent export when then grid can’t take it.

But electricity pricing signals should be enough to stop people grid charging their EVs at very high rates at peak times. This “people come home and plug in at 6pm” narrative annoys me so much because the people saying it seem to have no idea that EVs have charging timers!!! Who grid charges their EV at peak electricity rates? 🙄

And if folk are not drawing any grid power while their EV is charging, then their EVSE should not be able to be curtailed. Are the proposed Smart Controls smart enough?

Reactions: cafz and elddum
people saying it seem to have no idea
I think this is the big problem with the FUD about EVs - people who saw one once, or heard someone say something, making definitive pronouncements. A bit like the NSW FRS statements you called out recently @Vostok - totally ill informed.

Agree- the smart controllers won’t be smart enough and will all be setup so the energy companies can continue to gouge and ride the free wave they have for years for little investment on their part. Change needs to be driven into the energy market, but not through limiting the consumer or stifling innovation.