Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up sensors not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 23 model Y. I noticed in the past I used to back up and I would get the chimes whenever I would get close to items. Then it went away and I think it came back at some point but for some reason it’s not working and the reason I realize this is yesterday I was slowly backing up, trying to get as close as possible to something and I hit it. Scraped up my car, but why did I not get any noise Alerts when I was getting close. I had no idea I hit something until later on when I saw the scratches.

Even if there are no circular sensors, it’s still should be warning me. I’m close to something with the cameras, correct? It used to do this. I never turned it off. I don’t know why it’s not anymore. I just tested it with a friend and he stood behind my car and I backed up towards him and it was not going to stop my car or beep at me if I hit him.

Are you saying that the chimes are gone but the visuals are still there, or are both missing? The chimes can be turned on and off, so maybe an update changed that setting even if you didn't. Using Joe Mode might also turn those off, but I don't know.

I’m not sure what that stands for but if you mean the sensors, the little circle ones know I do not have those. However, when I first bought this car for the first year, it would pretty much always beat at everything now it doesn’t beep at anything I just drove it forward and tried to see if I could hit my garbage can and it didn’t even beep at me. Shouldn’t there at least be some type of chimes

I know it did all of the chimes prior to April. In April, I had the free self driving so I downloaded that software and then it expired at the end of April and has not been making any chime noises since. Does anyone know how to turn those on and off, I think it’s under safety because this is a forward and reverse safety thing

Why would they just randomly turn off? It’s my fault I was backing up and thought I had more room based on the cameras. Apparently I did not.

Then I was testing it out with a friend had him stand behind me. You would’ve thought it would beep or make me stop from hitting him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would they just randomly turn off? It’s my fault I was backing up and thought I had more room based on the cameras. Apparently I did not.

Then I was testing it out with a friend had him stand behind me. You would’ve thought it would beep or make me stop from hitting him.
Did you check the setting I referenced and was it off? If so, is it working now that you turned it back on? Software updates have been known to change settings — not common, but it happens.

Did you check the setting I referenced and was it off? If so, is it working now that you turned it back on? Software updates have been known to change settings — not common, but it happens.
So I looked and mine was off. I have since turned it on but I don’t hear much. Maybe it’s gotten better. It used to ding when it saw grass and everything.

It kind of sucks because I have now backed into a pole, gently, causing some scrapes and have tapped some curb rash and did not warn me at all however, it beeps all the time when I’m not near anything. Guess it’s just getting out some of the kinks.

It’s just getting really frustrating when things don’t seem to be working like they’re supposed to. Can I call Tesla and get help no and I don’t believe this is worthy of a service call. Sometimes it’s just my lack of know on how things are supposed to work and behave.