Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector pigtail with Polaris tap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installing a Tesla wall connector in garage. The home builder had prewire the garage with Aluminum wires coming from a 50A breaker into a box
I want to pigtail #6 copper wire to existing Aluminum wires using Polaris IT4 multi tap. The Al wires are now terminated with a wire twist and all have noalox on them. My questions are
1) Do I cut and strip the wire (no noalox) before putting in the Polaris tap, as it indicates it has anti oxide compound in it (doesn’t seem much) or do I add noalox? Can noalox be mixed with the anti oxide gel inside the Polaris tap?
2) If I need to add noalox to the Aluminum wires do I also add noalox to the bare Aluminum ground wire?

Watching the following video, you should check the type of aluminium used for the wires,
as recent aluminium wires are less suceptible to corrosion.

I saw in an apartment building that the utility panel's wires were tapped, just below the meter and main switch,
to the main wires going to the elevator. The tap connections were wrapped with a lot of electrician tape.

After maybe 40 or 50 years, when looking inside the connection box, I could not see the bare aluminium wires
since they were wrapped with electrical tape, but eveything looks nice, like new.

However, I really don't like the type of older aluminium wires used at this location.
I had to replaced some NEMA 50A receptacles, when installing a new range oven, in some of the apartment's units.
And those type of aluminium wires threads break easily when bolting them....