Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State - New EV Incentives beginning August 2024 - upto $9K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very few people who would otherwise be considering EVs qualify.

Agree, I wish they raised the income limit, but the state incentives will help make EVs more appealing for a lot who do meet the requirements.

The state incentive will make it more affordable. Ex. A Hyundai Kona $169/mo Lease deal. ($7500 federal applied) Add in the state incentive and that'd be more than icing on the cake.

EV affordability is already here.

• Informative
Reactions: Seattle and IdaX
I know right? Very annoying for sure. What more can we expect from the Peoples Republic of WA? Same can be said for these other loony coastal states.

Insanity and what does not make sense = Normal for these circus states.
The anti-ev crowed wants to overcharge EV drivers to punish them or something. It's reasonable to charge something since we don't pay gas tax - however the increasing fuel efficiency of cars also reduces the amount in taxes they pay over time. I think there's only a few choices, show them your mileage (but then what part were you driving in WA, also a problem already), pay the avg gas tax paid, pay extra. We are another option, I'm not sure how much the avg gas tax paid is though.

The anti-ev crowed wants to overcharge EV drivers to punish them or something. It's reasonable to charge something since we don't pay gas tax - however the increasing fuel efficiency of cars also reduces the amount in taxes they pay over time. I think there's only a few choices, show them your mileage (but then what part were you driving in WA, also a problem already), pay the avg gas tax paid, pay extra. We are another option, I'm not sure how much the avg gas tax paid is though.

It kind of reminds me of the Tesla Tax being imposed on those that they know can afford to pay. They'll justify it as being an offset, but at least for me I call BS on these goons and their policies as they sit here and try to push going green all the while . . .

On the flip side, so this incentive coming up in August, I'm curious if it'll work similar to Colorado?

Any word on how they intend to measure income for qualifying? Last years agi off your federal 1040? Prefilled in forms by the dealer already ready to go with no one to verify them? Self attestation? Nothing would surprise me in this state anymore.

Reactions: Elektrick
Any word on how they intend to measure income for qualifying? Last years agi off your federal 1040? Prefilled in forms by the dealer already ready to go with no one to verify them? Self attestation? Nothing would surprise me in this state anymore.

I have a feeling the income cap will be very low, sadly. Most of us won't qualify, but there are ways.

Wacko state(s) indeed.

The numbers are in that article 300% federal poverty. Family of 4 is 93k. Not much, but I'm just wondering how bad the system will be gamed and the taxpayer takes it as usual. I mean those with means will probably just get their elderly parent or young adult kid or someone to buy it for them and pay cash. But is it this years income, last years? How do you prove it?

The whole idea was to help low income people get an ev. That's a laudable goal. Limiting state budget spend is a laudable goal too. I'm glad I wasn't asked to figure out the plan. I have read some states (Colorado?) had a limited pool of these ev credits, they'd reach it and no more some years.

If you live in seattle area, your cost for housing is so high that the money toward that blocks a lot of people who might otherwise buy an EV - the middle loses out. I feel conflicting feelings. The existing fed 7500 tax credits go up so much higher in income. There's always complaints about ev tax credits for rich people. Do we need a middle range smaller deduction? I think the fed 7500 tax cuts should not have a hard cutoff, 7500 or zip. Some decaying function starting at 3/4 of the total, nothing at the max or something.

The whole idea was to help low income people get an ev. That's a laudable goal. Limiting state budget spend is a laudable goal too. I'm glad I wasn't asked to figure out the plan. I have read some states (Colorado?) had a limited pool of these ev credits, they'd reach it and no more some years.

If you live in seattle area, your cost for housing is so high that the money toward that blocks a lot of people who might otherwise buy an EV - the middle loses out. I feel conflicting feelings. The existing fed 7500 tax credits go up so much higher in income. There's always complaints about ev tax credits for rich people. Do we need a middle range smaller deduction? I think the fed 7500 tax cuts should not have a hard cutoff, 7500 or zip. Some decaying function starting at 3/4 of the total, nothing at the max or something.

Yea I agree. A lot of the decisions made are conflicting in a lot of ways. It's like the things they decide on are oxymoron decisions. With the very low income cap for the state incentive, that's not far from the poverty bracket, which doesn't make sense. Then wa charges more for tabs annually etc.

If they want EV adoption, they need to cater to the middle class for sure, because that's who's buying the typical volume selling cars.

Because single dudes making 45k/yr need 9000 off a Rivian lease xD. These programs are designed to be gamed. It's just figuring out how to not be the loser in everything the state does and it's always a challenging game because the things they pass are so head scratching at times.

• Funny
I disagree with the premise that it's desirable to make EVs more accessible to those with lower income. Do you really want to target a group that is more likely to be renters to have EVs? Where are they going to charge? Their insurance is going to probably be higher.

I think the near term goal (i.e. in the life time of this incentive program) should be much higher percentage of ownership among those higher paid. I think that would do more to help infrastructure and industry around EVs. Then in a few more years the cars will be sold used, and cheaper. Those with lower income can benefit then, and hopefully when there is more infrastructure buildout to support them.

And I think they should achieve that by making it more painful to buy an ICE. And instead of letting people game the system with fake income levels (or painfully proving the income level) just base it on the MSRP of the car. For example, add a $1 tax for every $1 over $40,000 of the MSRP, for ICE vehicles , or half that for hybrids.

I think we let people make their own decision if they want an ev and have the ability to use whether they have charging or not make sense. Wealthy people can also live in places without charging, and not understand that their condo without say a place to charge is not a great fit until after they buy an ev.

I am absolutely against the idea of incentiving ev purchases through means only likely to work for wealthy people. We need to expand use, but as you mention, it must work for their living situation and charging situation.