Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I could do is allow an arbitrary command to be executed in the event of a notification. It could be cURL or anything else. This has the advantage that the next thing that comes along can be done without someone having to wait for me to modify the app. This could actually solve another request which is to have notifications be logged to a local file rather than sent as an email. I could pipe the message into the command. The command could ignore it or do anything it wants with that input - like log it. Combining that with variables could be pretty flexible.

The downside is that you can shoot yourself in the foot pretty badly. But in the words of Peter Parker's Uncle Ben "With great power comes great responsibility."

I'll add an enhancement request to github.

Joe
Thanks for the consideration -- I look forward to burning my house down. ;)

What I could do is allow an arbitrary command to be executed in the event of a notification. It could be cURL or anything else. This has the advantage that the next thing that comes along can be done without someone having to wait for me to modify the app. This could actually solve another request which is to have notifications be logged to a local file rather than sent as an email. I could pipe the message into the command. The command could ignore it or do anything it wants with that input - like log it. Combining that with variables could be pretty flexible.

The downside is that you can shoot yourself in the foot pretty badly. But in the words of Peter Parker's Uncle Ben "With great power comes great responsibility."

I'll add an enhancement request to github.

Joe

I like that approach because then it can run any of the current (or future) command line options from the teslams tools. It also gives me a way to create new add-on functions for VT users without having to integrate directly into your code base or worry about all the GUI stuff that I prefer not to have to code.

I like that approach because then it can run any of the current (or future) command line options from the teslams tools. It also gives me a way to create new add-on functions for VT users without having to integrate directly into your code base or worry about all the GUI stuff that I prefer not to have to code.

I'm convinced. I'll add it soon.

For those of you in the US, Happy Labor Day Weekend!

VisibleTesla 0.29.00 [08-30-2014] - EXPERIMENTAL

Joe -
I think I found a bug in the newest version. I updated to the OSX package for 0.29.00 yesterday morning, but didn't drive after updating. VT went into allow sleep mode like normal around 10:30 yesterday morning. When I got home today, I noticed the graphs hadn't updated (I usually leave it on the graph tab), and it still showed the same time in the title bar as yesterday. So I figured I'd log out and try to log back in. It gave me the spinning circle, then brought up a dialog box, then crashed (or quit...) -- before the dialog box was up long enough to show anything, or let me click a dialog box. I re-launched and it repeated the same thing. I even rebooted and repeated again...

I dug out 0.28.01 and tried starting it also. It brought up a dialog box when it couldn't connect, and then quit after I hit the OK button...

On a side note, it looks like Tesla servers are down right now (I can't access the car via either VT or the iOS app...). Let's hope they are getting ready for 6.0 launch (and lets hope that 6.0 API doesn't break VT!)...

Since no one is complaining, I gues I'm the only one with the following problem:

In v0.27.03 every scheduled message and notification I have set works and gives me an email when an event is triggered. In 0.28, 0.28.01 and 0.29 none of the scheduled/notification messages works. Pressing the test button for email notification does work and gives me an test email. Going back to 0.27.03 solves the problem every time. Even with an clean 'install' of 0.28/0.28.1/0.29 doesn't give me an notification.

So what could be wrong?

My notifications (VT 29.0.0) worked flawlessly. Notified me that someone had unplugged me (a leaf) and again notified me when I plugged myself in again.
although it did nag me that I had another copy of VT open when I closed and re-opened it too quickly.

It seems like notifications lag in 0.29.00.

I have a couple of location-based notifications that lag by a few minutes now. I watched VT while another driver took it out, and there wasn't any activity at all on the overview page, until I clicked refresh. At that point, the notification arrived, and VT correctly showed the gear selection.

I'm not sure what other information you might find helpful.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the reports. I'm looking into the problems. For the time being, please revert to an earlier version if you're having trouble.

I've also hit a bug that may be related to some of the problems that you're seeing. I'm looking into that tonight.

Joe

---- Update ----

Yup, I definitely fat-fingered the code in at least one place. This bug will cause the app to look like it is emerging from "Allow Sleeping" mode, but really isn't. This can cause a lag in notifications, missed data in the graphs, etc. I'll look for other mistakes and try to fix them tonight and test during my drive to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
hey guys, sorry if this info is here, couldn't find..

running mac os 10.10b2, vt quits on launch w alert 'check console for info/java'.. theres no java log being written, not sure what's crashing. any thoughts? thx!

is there a mac bundle built anywhere i can reinstall from scratch?

I'm convinced. I'll add it soon.

When you get around to adding in a mechanism to call a generic command line script, it would be helpful to take a look and see if there is a way to pass the users Tesla login and password over to the script. That would prevent having to hard code these parameters into command line options or otherwise expose them in the clear in the configuration file. As an example, if you can set environment variables named TSLA_USERNAME and TSLA_PASSWORD that would be awesome. This seems straightforward using java.lang.ProcessBuilder

Last edited:
That has been done, by Dutch TMC Forum user Merijn. Check it here: Tesla | Supercharger Click the tab 'laadtijd' (chargetime) on top. It is in Dutch, but you will get the picture.

I'm trying to do something more comprehensive than this - that graph assumes you get the full 120kW - what about all the other scenarios where you are sharing with another car? Or the Supercharger is a different power?

- - - Updated - - -

I've got data from my trip to TMC Connect. I hit several superchargers. I'm out of town right one but can share it when I get home next week.
Thanks Denarius. Just use the 'file/export stats' menu option in VT. Thanks much!!

When you get around to adding in a mechanism to call a generic command line script, it would be helpful to take a look and see if there is a way to pass the users Tesla login and password over to the script. That would prevent having to hard code these parameters into command line options or otherwise expose them in the clear in the configuration file. As an example, if you can set environment variables named TSLA_USERNAME and TSLA_PASSWORD that would be awesome. This seems straightforward using java.lang.ProcessBuilder

Putting the user/passed into the env would not be a safe way to do it. Dropping it into a temp file as a hex dump might work. There are other ways much better.

Putting the user/passed into the env would not be a safe way to do it. Dropping it into a temp file as a hex dump might work. There are other ways much better.
Actually, passing a proper Single sign-on token and not the user credentials would be even better (hint Tesla). After thinking about this a bit more it's probably best not to try and share authentication data in any form until we get a proper SDK from Tesla. People trust your app running in their environment so let's not do anything to reduce that trust.

Last edited:
I downloaded Visible Tesla onto my PC yesterday. I spent about 30 minutes familiarizing myself with the tabs and the information displayed. I used the same email that Tesla Motors has for my login to their website and for their phone application.

This morning, I cannot login to Visible Tesla. It does not recognize my email address, and the password field is grayed out with (ostensibly) my password shown as asterisks.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any assistance!

Visible Tesla

I downloaded Visible Tesla onto my PC yesterday, and logged in with my Tesla email account and Tesla password.

I played around a little bit looking at the information, and then I closed the program.

This morning I am unable to log in with my email address, getting a "please remember your credentials" error message referring me to my email address.

They grey box with the password encryption with asterisks is visible.

Also, I am able to reach the preferences tab on the opening screen, but the rest are blank.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any assistance!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I just tested my email address through the preferences tab, and I received confirmation, so that function works fine.

hey guys, sorry if this info is here, couldn't find..

running mac os 10.10b2, vt quits on launch w alert 'check console for info/java'.. theres no java log being written, not sure what's crashing. any thoughts? thx!

is there a mac bundle built anywhere i can reinstall from scratch?

Hi dtich,

I'm running VT on the developer build of 10.10 (as opposed to the public beta) and am not having any difficulty. The latest bundled Mac version is 0.29.00, but it is experimental and is exhibiting some problems. I would download the previous version (0.28.01) which is a fully bundled mac app. You can get it here.

Joe

Waking up a sleeping Tesla

I haven't been able to wake up my car remotely for the last couple of days using either VT or the iPhone app. I haven't received a Tesla firmware update lately so I'm not sure what's different. If I go to the car and open the door it will wake up and then I can connect to it with VT or the iPhone app.

Weird.

I haven't been able to wake up my car remotely for the last couple of days using either VT or the iPhone app. I haven't received a Tesla firmware update lately so I'm not sure what's different. If I go to the car and open the door it will wake up and then I can connect to it with VT or the iPhone app.

Weird.

Which firmware version are you? I just updated to 5.12 after some 15 months of being on 4.5, which didn't have sleep. Since then I've never been able to wake the car remotely.