Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, due to some urgent matters I need to tend to, I'm not going to be very responsive over the next week or so.

Techlead, thank you for your offer to test. I will take you up on it. However, based on some feedback from dsmith2189, what I've got is not quite right. I'll need to make some mods before having you spend time testing.

Joe

I'd be happy to give it a try. English only though. :wink:

I've finally had a few minutes to work on this and have a test version for you to try out. This is based on feedback from dsmith2189 who tested and earlier version. I'll PM you with a link. If there are other users out there who are willing to test the mechanism that relocates data files out of the application folder, please let me know.

jpasqua - Just downloaded thank you this is wonderful. Just one question, is there a way to change the charge rate while the car is charging?

Great question. I don't know! For testing, I've always stopped the charging process, reset the slider, and restarted the charge. I've never tried moving the slider while it was charging to see if it worked. Someone else might know. I will give it a try this weekend and see what happens.

Great question. I don't know! For testing, I've always stopped the charging process, reset the slider, and restarted the charge. I've never tried moving the slider while it was charging to see if it worked. Someone else might know. I will give it a try this weekend and see what happens.

I moved the slider while charging w/o any issues. But is that what Enadler is asking. Is it possible to change the charge rate? Say from 40amps to 30amps.

I moved the slider while charging w/o any issues. But is that what Enadler is asking. Is it possible to change the charge rate? Say from 40amps to 30amps.
Thank you for testing what happens when you change the slider during charging. I assume that the when you say there were no issues, that means that it respected the new charge setting and completed the charge based on that setting rather than the original setting. Is that right?

If the question is about changing the charge rate, then it is much easier to answer. There is no way that I know of to change the charge rate via the API, whether the charge has started or not.

Forgive me if these questions have been addressed.

What does "sleep mode" and "daydreaming mode" actually entail?

Does launching Visible Tesla (or the phone app for that matter) "wake" the car up?

Is there a way to tell from Visible Tesla (or the phone app) that the car is indeed sleeping?

Thanks.

Thank you for testing what happens when you change the slider during charging. I assume that the when you say there were no issues, that means that it respected the new charge setting and completed the charge based on that setting rather than the original setting. Is that right?

If the question is about changing the charge rate, then it is much easier to answer. There is no way that I know of to change the charge rate via the API, whether the charge has started or not.

Correct. I use the slider quite often because I can charge at work for free. In the morning I plug in the charger at work. I start VT and set the slider to 90% to start charging. Before I leave work I'll move the slider to 50% so that no charging will occur at home. If the MS is charging and I move the slider back to a percentage below the current charge the charging will stop. If I move it above the current charge then charging will start. It will stop when it reaches whatever charge percent I set.

Forgive me if these questions have been addressed.

What does "sleep mode" and "daydreaming mode" actually entail?

Does launching Visible Tesla (or the phone app for that matter) "wake" the car up?

Is there a way to tell from Visible Tesla (or the phone app) that the car is indeed sleeping?

Thanks.

Hi Al,

Take a look right here in the documentation for details on sleep mode, daydreaming mode, and related topics. The short answers are:
  • Sleep mode and daydreaming mode are there to achieve two goals. To allow your car to go to sleep and to reduce the load in Tesla's servers. If you car has version 5.0 or greater it has the ability to go into a deeper sleep to limit the "vampire loss" from your battery. If VisibleTesla is constantly poking the car, it will never enter that mode. Allow sleeping tells VT to stop talking to the car after 15 minutes of inactivity from the user.
  • Daydreaming mode also looks for inactivity from the user, but it doesn't cease all interaction with the car and therefore the car won't be able to go to sleep. It just slows down the rate of interaction to reduce the load on Tesla's servers. In particular, it stops auto-refreshing.
  • If your car is sleeping and you launch VisibleTesla, it will pop up a dialog box and give you a choice as to whether you'd like to wake the car. If you don't want to wake it, the application will exit. If you do want to wake it, VT will do it's best to wake it up and then run as usual. The phone app doesn't give you this choice (unless something has been updated that I don't know about).
  • If you're actively using VisibleTesla or the phone app, then your car isn't asleep. If VT is in sleep mode, it does *not* tell you whether the car is in sleep mode. That's a good idea though. There is no way to determine this from the phone app either.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

I don't suppose the API can note whether the little alarm clock is showing and an update is available? I'll be without Tess for all of November and am dying to know if the update has been received.

As far as I know, there is nothing in the API that indicates whether an update is available, nor is there a command to apply an available update. I'd be happy to add an indicator for this if the information were available. I'm sure that if there is a way that I've missed, someone will let me know. For the time being you may just have to have a friend go look at the car every day and text you :) Have a good trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. I use the slider quite often because I can charge at work for free. In the morning I plug in the charger at work. I start VT and set the slider to 90% to start charging. Before I leave work I'll move the slider to 50% so that no charging will occur at home. If the MS is charging and I move the slider back to a percentage below the current charge the charging will stop. If I move it above the current charge then charging will start. It will stop when it reaches whatever charge percent I set.

Excellent information and use case. Maybe I should add a "Set Charge Level" option to the scheduler. This would let you set a Monday-Friday schedule to set the charge level to 90% in the morning and 50% at the end of the work day. Of course, like all scheduler functions, this only helps you if VT is running in the background on some machine all day long (or at least at the scheduled times). Of course, you can do this right now with the very versatile teslams package and a cron job (or equivalent on Windows).

Last edited:

Yes I meant charge rate. I like to set a slow charge rate so that the car will finish charging close to the time i need it. If something comes up and I need to leave earlier or later it would be nice to be able to change the rate of charge.

I for one would love to be able to set the charge limit via the scheduler. I generally set the car to charge to 50% when I get home, then I have the car charge to various levels in the morning based on what my given commute is for that day. I also leave VT running on my machine through the evening.

Joe, would it be possible to add rear window defrost to the scheduler? It's nice to sit in a pre-warmed car in the morning with a clear windshield, but a clear rear window would be great too ...

Joe, would it be possible to add rear window defrost to the scheduler? It's nice to sit in a pre-warmed car in the morning with a clear windshield, but a clear rear window would be great too ...

Hi Klaus. I can't find any way to turn on the rear defroster. I can show whether it's on or off, but can't find a way to control it. If someone knows how to do this via the API I'd be happy to add it to the scheduler.

I for one would love to be able to set the charge limit via the scheduler. I generally set the car to charge to 50% when I get home, then I have the car charge to various levels in the morning based on what my given commute is for that day. I also leave VT running on my machine through the evening.

Ok, here's what I can do quickly. I'll add three options to the scheduler: "Charge: Low", "Charge: Max", and "Charge: Std". If you use "Charge: Max" or "Charge: Std" it will set the charge limit to these predefined set points. "Charge: Low" will default to the car's notion of minimum (50% these days), but I'll let you set it to whatever value you'd like in the Scheduler preferences. This is not as flexible as it could be, but I can do this quickly without major UI changes so I'll do it this way first and see if it's good enough to cover most of the use cases.

I know it shows how far the pana roof is open , but is there a way to do the same for the side windows? Even better would be a way to close them if they were open. BTW, I have tested VisibleTesla on Win7, Win8, and Fedora16. Works on all 3!

Thanks for all of the testing, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately the API does not provide a mechanism to view or control the state of the windows. I agree that would be very nice.

Joe
since I just got v5.6 I was going over my settings in VT and have a question about the VT sleep mode.
Under Options, I selected "Allow Sleeping" which will allow VT to stop polling the vehicle after 15 minutes.
When on the Charge tab and charging I see the "time Left" which counts down as VT gets refreshed. So far so good.

When VT goes to sleep (allowing my car to sleep) How can I interpret the "Time Left" if I am not polling my MS? (and without waking-up the car)
If I have not been active with VT and look at the Charge tab all I see is the "Time Left" since the last poll, but do not know when that was.
Would it be possible to put the time of the last charging data was collected or when VT went to sleep so I can figure out when my car will be done charging?