Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's nothing unique about indicating before changing lanes.. it's what you're supposed to do.

Autonomous cars *should* be restricted to drive perfectly. Humans are crap at driving - the accident statistics show that. Learning off them is IMO the wrong way to go about it.
It’s a good way to teach a car how to drive. Obviously you try not to give it footage of humans driving badly to avoid it tailgating, hogging the middle lane and cutting people up 😉

It’s pretty clear the only current solution is to ditch the UNECE ADAS regulation within the UK law framework in favour of our own Automated Vehicles Bill regulation approval framework. That’s down to government of the day to achieve that, which may be why they set down the whole new law route. As it stands, even once that gets Royal Assent it still has to abide by the refined GRVA wording, which now seems likely to contain corrections to their previous poor attempt at it, due late June.

Last edited:
Reactions: cliff harris
Now we are on 2024.14.6.....despite having the Intel Atom processor and everything saying we have to temper our expectations....I am quite impressed with how much more the car ‘sees’

Last edited:
Have you got FSD? Or just expecting the functionality as part of standard AP or EAP?
No I don't have it, I was just joking that it's the law now yet it's still not been released to the UK ;)

I suspect seeing as UK law suggests that real FSD will need need Tesla to insure the cars and drivers won't be responsible they'll have to go with another way to release it here that probably involves not calling it "Full Self Driving". Maybe Supervised will work, I don't know but not read the law. Seems to suggest though they expect the first cars on our roads by 2026 so still a few years to go on this before anything might happen.

Plus Tesla have said RHD will take longer, even when they do launch into Europe and other countries. Always a risk this is like the coming soon of the RHD Model S and X where they eventually say it's not worth their time to bother with RHD and give up on it.

That makes it sound like the UK law is for L3+ systems, not an L2 system like FSD is.
I think the title of the law being the Automated Vehicles Act suggests that humans won't be involved in the driving. It'll allow the Robotaxi I guess to be legal here.

I don't think we needed new laws to allow something like Tesla's current FSD to come here from a UK law point. It likely does need the UN regulations that limit things like steering speed to be updated and Tesla to care about the RHD market.

I think the title of the law being the Automated Vehicles Act suggests that humans won't be involved in the driving. It'll allow the Robotaxi I guess to be legal here.

I don't think we needed new laws to allow something like Tesla's current FSD to come here from a UK law point. It likely does need the UN regulations that limit things like steering speed to be updated and Tesla to care about the RHD market.
At the moment progress isn’t just limited in the RHD market.....it’s no different on the continent....except we can’t do FSD (supervised) in a Model S

Plus Tesla have said RHD will take longer, even when they do launch into Europe and other countries.
My understanding is that they have said that FSD supervised is ready now for Europe LHD markets, but that RHD will take longer.

But of course Europe is not ready for FSD yet, law wise..... and by the time they are ready I would not be surprised to see Tesla being RHD ready also.

They said also that Cybertruck FSD would come later.. and that is apparently going to be ready next month.. rate of progress seems promising.

My understanding is that they have said that FSD supervised is ready now for Europe LHD markets, but that RHD will take longer.

But of course Europe is not ready for FSD yet, law wise..... and by the time they are ready I would not be surprised to see Tesla being RHD ready also.

They said also that Cybertruck FSD would come later.. and that is apparently going to be ready next month.. rate of progress seems promising.
I imagine it’s probably complex trying to release in Europe as you’ve got the UN regulations that potentially stop Tesla’s FSD working. When training to drive based on human input, that’s not going to work if you have to put in limits around how quickly it can turn the wheel. The whole point is it’s trying to mimic a human which won’t work if you are also trying to restrict it.

I imagine Tesla has zero interest in limiting their FSD so instead they just work in their large home market that doesn’t force them to gimp their solution.

The other issues is outside of the UN part, every country in Europe might want different laws around this.

Frankly I think they’ll do China next because they need it there to compete with the Chinese car makers. They’ll ignore the rest of the world because there’s no need of rush, no one else is really doing it and they can sell cars without it.

I suspect Musk’s approach will be along the lines of “I’m not going to limit my solution to your laws, you can see how good it is. You need to fix your laws to allow my solution if you want it in your country”.

While Royal Assent was due for 20th May that particular stage is still showing as 'In progress', so it isn’t quite there yet for the stellar 6 months for Transport Secretary to appoint an authorising body to begin their duties. So that’ll be late November 2024 or after then…

Fun fact, the monarch doesn’t actually sign the bill, either signing a prepared Letters Patent to announce the assent or a Commission document to order Royal Commissioners to do so on HRH’s behalf. Plus the actual commencement date of the act if not detailed within the bill can be determined by a minister issuing a Commencement Order.

Last edited:
While Royal Assent was due for 20th May that particular stage is still showing as 'In progress', so it isn’t quite there yet for the stellar 6 months for Transport Secretary to appoint an authorising body to begin their duties. So that’ll be late November 2024 or after then…
the parliament website page is clearly out of date.

It was announced in Parliament yesterday that it had received royal assent. see link below: