Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in my 2018 LR RWD for AWD: Observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no homelink with a new model 3? That sucks!
Ya know... I am not convinced that's a bad thing. I have HomeLink with my M3 but it only works on arrival. On departure it works maybe MAYBE 20% of the time, likely closer to 10%. I've fiddled with the distance to no avail. There was another owner on here that expressed the exact same phenomenon, leaving the garage it generally won't close the garage door even though it is solid on opening the door. So, one either has to stop and reach over to hit the little green icon then the door icon or have their garage door opener readily available. In the later case HomeLink is irrelevant. Maybe it works better in a gated community opening and closing the gate.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollards07
Ya know... I am not convinced that's a bad thing. I have HomeLink with my M3 but it only works on arrival. On departure it works maybe MAYBE 20% of the time, likely closer to 10%. I've fiddled with the distance to no avail. There was another owner on here that expressed the exact same phenomenon, leaving the garage it generally won't close the garage door even though it is solid on opening the door. So, one either has to stop and reach over to hit the little green icon then the door icon or have their garage door opener readily available. In the later case HomeLink is irrelevant. Maybe it works better in a gated community opening and closing the gate.
Just because automatic closing doesn't work, doesn't make it irrelevant. I have auto close turned off because I don't want to have any risk of my garage door automatically closing on my car. It still automatically pops up the button on the screen when I leave the garage so I can manually close the door. I'm not dealing with some stupid fob from the 80's stuck on my visor.
Plus the auto open when I get back home is one of my favorite features.

It was definitely a cheap move to not include homelink as standard. It should minimally be included with the premium interior.
Failing that it should at least be a factory option so you could have it installed before you pick the car up.
I'd really like to know Tesla's logic on that one, because I can't quite make sense of any benefit for them.

Just because automatic closing doesn't work, doesn't make it irrelevant. I have auto close turned off because I don't want to have any risk of my garage door automatically closing on my car. It still automatically pops up the button on the screen when I leave the garage so I can manually close the door. I'm not dealing with some stupid fob from the 80's stuck on my visor.

It was definitely a cheap move to not include homelink as standard. It should minimally be included with the premium interior.
Failing that it should at least be a factory option so you could have it installed before you pick the car up.
I'd really like to know Tesla's logic on that one, because I can't quite make sense of any benefit for them.

For a lot cheaper than the $300, you could get a zwave garage door opener (that's if you already have a home with alexa/smartthings/etc). I can open my garage door app and open/close it when I want, or I can also tell Alexa to 'start open garage'

I haven't had any issues with the garage closer when leaving. It seems to work reliably for me. I'm on a red 21xxx number received in June 2018.

Not sure what differences / factors might be at play as to why it doesn't work. There might be a garage door opener app that you might be able to use with geo fencing and an if/this then that type configuration. Not sure if the cost is worthwhile.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a software option or a module the owner could plug in themselves. Not everyone needs it and if it makes the car cheaper on average that's fine. But the fact that it's behind the bumper makes it ridiculous to leave out. Your paying for disassembling and reassembling the car on something that was never intended to be left out. It's not like Service Centers have spare time to deal with this *sugar*. Install it in every car and make it a software purchase.

I haven't had any issues with the garage closer when leaving. It seems to work reliably for me. I'm on a red 21xxx number received in June 2018.

Not sure what differences / factors might be at play as to why it doesn't work. There might be a garage door opener app that you might be able to use with geo fencing and an if/this then that type configuration. Not sure if the cost is worthwhile.
This was my issue (though not as bad) along with the fact that HomeLink can't tell if the garage is open or not. So if my wife and I were both arriving home at the same time (but she got there first), I had my car close the garage onto her car or come close multiple times. If I had homelink on my M3, I would disable the location based opening/closing just for this reason.

This was my issue (though not as bad) along with the fact that HomeLink can't tell if the garage is open or not. So if my wife and I were both arriving home at the same time (but she got there first), I had my car close the garage onto her car or come close multiple times. If I had homelink on my M3, I would disable the location based opening/closing just for this reason.

Good example. But you don't both park behind the same garage door. Each car should be programmed for their respective door.

But regardless, since it does not know if the door is up or down it's risky.

I NEVER used auto open or close because someone or a pet could be near the door when it's going up or down, which is dangerous.
Even Auto open is dangerous because there are wires that pull door open someone (or pet) could be close. Some folks have springs at the top that's not as risky.

If the motion light is on in the garage I won't even manually open it.

Good example. But you don't both park behind the same garage door. Each car should be programmed for their respective door.

But regardless, since it does not know if the door is up or down it's risky.

I NEVER used auto open or close because someone or a pet could be near the door when it's going up or down, which is dangerous.
Even Auto open is dangerous because there are wires that pull door open someone (or pet) could be close. Some folks have springs at the top that's not as risky.

If the motion light is on in the garage I won't even manually open it.

Ouch, I do...I am not baller enough to have multiple garage doors on my garage. :p j/k, but yeah, I have 1 double garage door that opens for both our cars.

You also bring a good point about pets...we now have 2 cats and they love being in the garage so I definitely wouldn't use any automatic open/close features. Last thing I want is pulling up to my house to see them running out to explore (they're indoor only cats)

Reactions: Hans L and mswlogo
Ouch, I do...I am not baller enough to have multiple garage doors on my garage. :p j/k, but yeah, I have 1 double garage door that opens for both our cars.

You also bring a good point about pets...we now have 2 cats and they love being in the garage so I definitely wouldn't use any automatic open/close features. Last thing I want is pulling up to my house to see them running out to explore (they're indoor only cats)

Shoot, I had not thought of that. Thx for follow up.

Regarding insurance pay, in my case my insurance agreed to pay me directly the loss.
The tradein value of the car as is was $39k -$2k for the damage.
Tradein sales tax rules are different in each state, in WA you do not pay sales tax on trade in portion.

That's really interesting as they offered me $31,000 for my LR RWD with 12,000 miles and 19" wheels. I have no idea why it was so low. If they offered me $39,000 I would have already done the trade in that you just did, which was for the LR AWD or P3D. It's VIN is in the 13XXX, but not sure that should really matter. Although, I do not have FSD or autopilot, so maybe that's why, but it's literally $9,000 less than what a comparable used car would sell for on their website.