Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would really like to see the Orange / Lake Charles charger be worked on next. My completely biased guess is that more Texans drive to New Orleans than Oklahoma City.

Agree (in part) with the statement, but not because of your reasons ... I would like to have the opportunity for Destin, Santa Rosa Beach, and points in that area.

Yes -- getting the I-40/I-25 corridors connected (in the 2014 map) is what will make an S85 a useful long-distance car (for me), although that stretch from Corsicana to Oklahoma City looks a little daunting.

My guess is there would be two SC stations (eventually) one just south of the red river and one just south of OKC.

Honestly, I'm happy either way as I plan to use both. Just hope Grapevine isn't next. I'm fine if they want to build it later for advertising purposes, but the first priority should be cross country travel.

I noticed in the other supercharger thread (the national one) there is discussion on a planned SC at JFK airport. I'm wondering if there isn't a master plan to put SCs at major airports? The Grapevine one is supposed to be at 114 & 121...right outside of DFW airport. Rental cars? Taxi/Limo services? Long-term parkers?

For charging at an airport, a 110v is fine. Why go to the expense of Supetchargers?

For me, it will be extremely useful for pick-up/dropoff at the airport - until now I have had friends/family fly to a local airport since making it from DFW and back in a 60 using Waco superchargers is not really possible. DFW is also a great location IMO for traveling back and forth between Dallas (where the party is at) and Fort Worth (where the in-laws and hangovers live) - end to end in a 60 cuts it a little close

For me, it will be extremely useful for pick-up/dropoff at the airport - until now I have had friends/family fly to a local airport since making it from DFW and back in a 60 using Waco superchargers is not really possible. DFW is also a great location IMO for traveling back and forth between Dallas (where the party is at) and Fort Worth (where the in-laws and hangovers live) - end to end in a 60 cuts it a little close

That's a fair point. Just not sure how many people have a similar use case. Personally, the investment in cross-country travel still seems to make more sense as a priority. Eventually, I'd love to see Superchargers everywhere.

For charging at an airport, a 110v is fine. Why go to the expense of SuperChargers?

I don't know, but if they put a SuperCharger at an airport, I think you'll start to see a bunch of Model S taxis. Fuel is a huge expense for taxi drivers and a Model S can carry a ton of luggage.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree (in part) with the statement, but not because of your reasons ... I would like to have the opportunity for Destin, Santa Rosa Beach, and points in that area..

Actually, that is my reason too--I drive from Houston to Pensacola Beach every Christmas, so a Lake Charles charger is just step one of me getting there easily. :)

I just drove from south of Austin to Corsicana to Texarkana and back. On the way back, I checked in at the CSB in Lindale/Tyler hoping to find a SC under construction. My hopes were dashed. The CSB people knew about SCs but nothing about one going into Lindale.

I charged at the Texarkana KOA two nights. Less than $10 worth of electricity cost me over $50. Beggars can't be choosers. Stayed at the HoJo about 1/4 from the KOA. Turns out, the Wyndham Garden would have been a closer and better choice.

I just drove from south of Austin to Corsicana to Texarkana and back. On the way back, I checked in at the CSB in Lindale/Tyler hoping to find a SC under construction. My hopes were dashed. The CSB people knew about SCs but nothing about one going into Lindale.

I charged at the Texarkana KOA two nights. Less than $10 worth of electricity cost me over $50. Beggars can't be choosers. Stayed at the HoJo about 1/4 from the KOA. Turns out, the Wyndham Garden would have been a closer and better choice.

Two things:
**I spoke with one of the Real Estate Development guys and the President of CSB @ the Bellmead/Waco SC Ribbon Cutting.
Lindale CSB location is still in play, just not in the first round of SC roll-out.
They haven't even OFFICIALLY opened Corsicana and Huntsville SC locations!
Be patient, lots of other SCs still to get underway.

**IF you had stayed at a KOA, most of them have Kabins.
Some of the Kabins have linens, most don't (each location is unique -- call ahead to confirm reservation to meet your requirements).
If you wanted to not have to leave your car and walk to an adjacent place to stay (HoJo or Wyndam Garden), you could have stayed at the KOA.
Next time, bring your own sleeping bag, bed roll, pillows etc.
There is typically a queen size bed with mattress and a bunk bed with mattresses: sleeps four.
Slightly roughing it, but the Kabins/rooms have A/C and heaters).
They have community toilets and showers there also, so bring your own towels and soap too.
Some of the larger KOAs have Kabins with Bathrooms and seating areas.
The rational for the (high) cost is you occupied a space that a standard RV could have used, not because of the cost for the electricity.
Typically for a day time-charge, KOA cost me $10 (one was $5), because most RVs drive during the day and sleep at night.
Also: if you consider getting a KOA membership, it will save you 10% per Kamp visit.
[Texas] State Parks are another resource to consider for daytime charging.
Overnight Camping (not just charging) @ a State Park requires another fee.

Two things:
**I spoke with one of the Real Estate Development guys and the President of CSB @ the Bellmead/Waco SC Ribbon Cutting.
Lindale CSB location is still in play, just not in the first round of SC roll-out.
They haven't even OFFICIALLY opened Corsicana and Huntsville SC locations!
Be patient, lots of other SCs still to get underway.

Some of the Kabins have linens, most don't (each location is unique -- call ahead to confirm reservation to meet your requirements).
If you wanted to not have to leave your car and walk to an adjacent place to stay (HoJo or Wyndam Garden), you could have stayed at the KOA.
There is typically a queen size bed with mattress and a bunk bed with mattresses: sleeps four.
They have community toilets and showers there also, so bring your own towels and soap too.
The rational for the (high) cost is you occupied a space that a standard RV could have used, not because of the cost for the electricity.
Typically for a day time-charge, KOA cost me $10 (one was $5), because most RVs drive during the day and sleep at night.
Also: if you consider getting a KOA membership, it will save you 10% per Kamp visit.

+1 … great info!

All good information. The Texarkana KOA does have at least one Kabin and it's price was $60. They might have included charging with it but I did not pursue that. The HoJo was $45 (including tax) and, of course, had a nice private bath, bed linens, coffee, breakfast, etc. I needed to charge at night and use the car in the daytime, so I didn't expect them to cut me much of a deal on charging. For cross country trips, in the absence of SCs, it does look like daytime charging and night driving is attractive.

Perhaps you can answer a question wrt renting a KOA Kabin if you've stayed in one while traveling with your Model S:
Was there easy access to a 14-30 or 14-50 outlet for overnight charging, or did you have to also rent an RV spot?

Thanks,

John

Sorry for asking, but did anyone get an Tesla official email on Corsicana SC? I saw the Waco one in my inbox but nothing about Corsicana.

I was in getting a tire changed at the SC and they seemed to think it was indeed official 11/26 @ 10.

Just curious, it might be time to go pick up a fruitcake.

Thanks.

Oops nvm - found mine. Was snagged as spam on the 19th

Last edited:
Sorry for asking, but did anyone get an Tesla official email on Corsicana SC? I saw the Waco one in my inbox but nothing about Corsicana.

I was in getting a tire changed at the SC and they seemed to think it was indeed official 11/26 @ 10.

Just curious, it might be time to go pick up a fruitcake.

Thanks.

Yes, I received an OFFICIAL TESLA invite and RSVP, combo, for both Corsicana and Huntsville.
Texas Triangle is now Supercharged!
Tues., Nov. 26th 10am for Corsicana<-->Tues., Nov. 26 2pm for Huntsville

Perhaps you can answer a question wrt renting a KOA Kabin if you've stayed in one while traveling with your Model S:
Was there easy access to a 14-30 or 14-50 outlet for overnight charging, or did you have to also rent an RV spot?

Thanks,

John

ALL KOAs I have stayed @ had both 14-30 and 14-50, some had both in the same box/station.
Definitely use the 14-50, big difference in charge rates.
Kabins have added cost to just charging, you could stay in a Kabin with a regular car or truck, and they wouldn't charge you for a RV slot, because you wouldn't be using it.
You would be paying for both services with your MS.

Real life (un-controlled) study results in.

n=1

If you are traveling between superchargers on I-45 and it's raining, please make sure you have AT LEAST 145 rated miles - if you plan 75-80 mph. I just arrived from Corsicana way in the red.

But happy now. Gonna grab a Whataburger !!!