Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like taking the SGIP and your PW install date is crucial factor to switch to the new VPP with DSGS or not.

See this:

Then find: "Compensation also depends when your system was installed and whether you took Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) funding."

Unfortunately, in the compensation examples don't show how the PW install date and taking the SGIP funding factor into the compensation. If someone finds out how the install date & SGIP factors into the calculation, please post your findings, thanks.

Looks like taking the SGIP and your PW install date is crucial factor to switch to the new VPP with DSGS or not.

See this:

Then find: "Compensation also depends when your system was installed and whether you took Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) funding."

Unfortunately, in the compensation examples don't show how the PW install date and taking the SGIP funding factor into the compensation. If someone finds out how the install date & SGIP factors into the calculation, please post your findings, thanks.
It seems like that might mainly refer to one of the Acknowledgement items listed in DSGS Program Participation Agreement further down the page:
"You have not received and will not apply for SGIP incentives (note: this is only applicable if Your permission to operate date is after July 1, 2023)."

• Informative
Reactions: Redhill_qik
Lots of interesting information about the new DSGS program and it will probably be better for almost everyone compared to ELRP program.

A couple of points to note:
For those with an export limit, you can charge an EV or use other loads to spike your demand past the export limit, and force the batteries to discharge to maximum. Depending on your specific limits, you might be able to discharge 7 kW to the grid and use additional power in your home to makeup the difference to get the full payout.
Tesla will only be participating in 1 or 2 hour events under DSGS, longer events don't make as much sense to them.
If you are on android and having trouble understanding how to disenroll in ELRP and enroll in DSGS, use this link to find your way there from your computer: https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/virtual-power-plant/pge

Also, I think there is only a payment if there is an event, so not sure how likely there is a grid event in May. I went ahead and applied to disenroll in ELRP as even if it only triggers over the summer DSGS is a much better payout than ELRP.

According to electrek and Sunrun, Sunrun has the largest VPP in California. They are also participating in a Demand Side Grid Support program. Is this the exact same program as the one in Tesla's app? Or it is same program but administered separately by sunrun and Tesla with same or different payouts. Or something else entirely?

Is this the exact same program as the one in Tesla's app? Or it is same program but administered separately by sunrun and Tesla with same or different payouts. Or something else entirely?

This looks to be a different program, daily peak discharge as opposed to limited VPP events. From 2023:

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and garrity
Has anybody successfully unenrolled ELRP program yet?
Or perhaps that Microsoft 365 Forms submission is forwarded to the proverbial Tesla bit bucket...

I requested to unenroll last week and just saw that it was processed today in the app. I just submitted my new request to enroll in the new program. I wasn't sure which account number to use for SCE as my bill shows both Customer and Service account numbers. I ended up using the Customer Acct number to register. Let's hope these are processed before the first event!!

I requested to unenroll last week and just saw that it was processed today in the app. I just submitted my new request to enroll in the new program. I wasn't sure which account number to use for SCE as my bill shows both Customer and Service account numbers. I ended up using the Customer Acct number to register. Let's hope these are processed before the first event!!
@Benjamin Brooks Coincidently, I also just checked my Tesla App and noticed that the Solar tab had changed and said something like "Join the Virtual Power Plant". Clicking through was an application submittal and after entering and submitting the Solar tab now has "Virtual Power Plant Application Pending". Coming back here to post the changes and find that @Tim-in-CA beat me too it. 😝

May 6th - Disenrollment request for ELRP VPP submitted
May 14th - Option to reapply for DSGS VPP in the app

True to Tesla form, zero communication received. If they had any serious competition they would be out of business.

@Benjamin Brooks Coincidently, I also just checked my Tesla App and noticed that the Solar tab had changed and said something like "Join the Virtual Power Plant". Clicking through was an application submittal and after entering and submitting the Solar tab now has "Virtual Power Plant Application Pending". Coming back here to post the changes and find that @Tim-in-CA beat me too it. 😝

True to Tesla form, zero communication received. If they had any serious competition they would be out of business.
Same. I just enrolled in the DSGS VPP in Tesla app. Guess they batch processed the Microsoft 365 form :D

LOL ... yea, I was checking something else and saw that I was no longer enrolled in the ELRP program. After I submitted my data for the new program the VPP section changed to Processing Application, and after checking again it now states:

IMG_5846.jpg

So hopefully will get moved into the new program by the June 1. Honestly, I don't know why Tesla simply let users switch to the new program immediately. Maybe there was some sort of restriction / inefficiency introduced by SCE, SDGE, etc.

Looking forward to a bigger check next year for my 2 Powerwalls!!

I just de-enrolled a few days ago but today (Android) there was a large button on the home screen of the PW app asking me to join the VPP. It just wanted my full name and phone number and confirmed my address. Then I just accepted the terms and it said I was all set. Note only DSGS was offered of course. I had my run with ELRP. And now status is Application Pending.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
I requested on Monday (2 days ago) to unenroll from ELRP by calling Tesla (1-877-961-7652, option 2 for Powerwall) and the Powerwall team created a ticket number for me. At the time, the Tesla representative said my mention about the DSGS program was new to him. Today, I saw both ELRP and DSGS temporarily offered, so I logged out and logged into my Tesla app account to force a refresh. Let's hope there aren't any hidden enrollments like when I enrolled with ELRP.