Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here we go

As of Feb. 29. 2024, Tesla Supercharger network:
  • 27,000+ stalls for Teslas
  • 15,000+ for NACS
  • 500+ stalls for other EVs
500+ stalls is the gateway drug for the dangling carrot of 15,000 NACS. It will simultaneously attract more people to Tesla and suppress their appetite for non-Teslas before they're able to roll out NACS EVs in 2025.

View attachment 1023183
Yes, and lots of marketing in the details - often pointing out how much better the charging experience is with a Tesla.

Not only good for the mission, but for the Stock as well (albeit slowly). Suddenly there will be many BEV owners who realized how much better Super Charging is and that EVs are just fine on road trips. The narrative before today was that EV demand was soft because price, charging, and cold sucks.

They won't have the preheating necessarily, but still, this is gonna seem like Tinkerbell just sprinkled fairy dust on their vehicles, and all at once. We gonna see more on the roads now I bet.

This could be humbling for some, especially if they bought the anti-Tesla BEV in spite. But this narrative gets eroded over time.

This is for anyone. Ford uses their Ford Pass App to find chargers, authorize, and pay.

We have no idea what their rates will be, but we do know they don't have a membership they have to sign up for. It's live already.

edit: Looks like it's 11 cents more per kWh comparing what people are showing in their Ford app to what I'm seeing.

View attachment 1023213
It seems to vary. At one Supercharger I looked at Tesla charges NACS vehicles $0.03/kWh more flat all day. At another they charge $0.04/kWh more during off and mid-peak times, but $0.07/kWh more during peak times. At yet another they charge $0.12/kWh more all day. All three of these are within about 15 miles.

Obviously, Ford probably marks those prices up even more if you pay through their service/app.

Just like clockwork, this makes headlines:

While you need to dig to find this:

Just like clockwork, this makes headlines:

While you need to dig to find this:

It's the if I don't laugh, I'm going to cry type of funny.

How does a Tesla owner sign up for monthly supercharging? (I can't find it in the app)
You following the instructions in the FAQ: https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging-other-evs#supercharging-membership

To sign up for a Supercharging Membership in the Tesla app, follow these steps.

1. Open the Tesla app.
  2. Tap the menu in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap your name.
  4. Tap ‘Charging.’
  5. Tap ‘Membership.’
  6. Tap the ‘Sign Up’ button.
But in my version of the app, you skip step 3, in step 5 it is called "Non-tesla Membership", and in step 6 the button is "Join Now". (I don't know if the Android app is older, or newer, than the instructions in the FAQ.)

For your non-Tesla? You get it free with your Tesla.

No, you don't get Tesla vehicle rates on your non-Tesla vehicle without paying the monthly subscription fee, even if you own a Tesla. (Non-Tesla owners don't have to sign up for the subscription to use Superchargers, they just pay a higher rate if they don't subscribe.)

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3 and mongo
Here we go

As of Feb. 29. 2024, Tesla Supercharger network:
  • 27,000+ stalls for Teslas
  • 15,000+ for NACS
  • 500+ stalls for other EVs
500+ stalls is the gateway drug for the dangling carrot of 15,000 NACS. It will simultaneously attract more people to Tesla and suppress their appetite for non-Teslas before they're able to roll out NACS EVs in 2025.

View attachment 1023183

Interesting that this happened earlier this month:

Interestingly, I can find no reference to what kind of connector it implements, although it appears to be CCS:

1709224033364.png

It's almost like they deliberately avoid mentioning it not being NACS to avoid submarining their new showpiece...

• Funny
Reactions: UncaNed
This is for anyone. Ford uses their Ford Pass App to find chargers, authorize, and pay.

We have no idea what their rates will be, but we do know they don't have a membership they have to sign up for. It's live already.

edit: Looks like it's 11 cents more per kWh comparing what people are showing in their Ford app to what I'm seeing.

View attachment 1023213

Suspect that's a Tesla built app for Ford...

That's exactly my point. AAPL failing does not make TSLA remarkable. TSLA being remarkable makes TSLA remarkable.

I think the reasons many people find this notable are: 1)one of the reasons many traditional automakers are thought to have struggled with EV's is the software (see also: VW), Apple obviously has expertise in that, and 2) Apple has a pile of cash around top dedicate to the effort, and that's been a stumbling block for the other startups: managing cash while ramping up to volume production.

But I agree that those reasons ignore a host of reasons that Apple and auto-manufacturing or not well suited for each other...

Sounded like only V3 chargers had been NACS retrofit so that's likelly the 15k- while the extra 12 (making up 27k total) are the older ones that don't speak CCS and were not retrofit?

The 500 yeah likely the magic dock ones.
So....when non-Teslas arrive at Superchargers with a mix of V3 and V2 equipment, they will only be using the faster V3 plugs, increasing the odds at a busy station that a Tesla ends up using the slower V2 equipment?🤷‍♂️

It's in the FordPass app

It sure looks like what Tesla displays, so maybe it is a HTML pass-through to Tesla for Supercharger sites?

If that screenshot is from the FordPass app, then Ford isn't marking prices up from Tesla charges NACS vehicle owners who use the Tesla app. I wonder how much, if any, of that Ford gets to keep... And it mentions the subscription, so I wonder if you subscribe through the FordPass app, does that subscription work in the Tesla app as well? (If you have a Ford and a GM EV, will one Supercharging subscription work across both vehicles and all three apps?)

Reactions: scaesare
So....when non-Teslas arrive at Superchargers with a mix of V3 and V2 equipment, they will only be using the faster V3 plugs, increasing the odds at a busy station that a Tesla ends up using the slower V2 equipment?🤷‍♂️
Is Tesla opening up those sites to NACS vehicles? Do you know where a mixed site is so we can check?

Edit: I found Irvine, CA - Main Street, with 16 V3 and 24 Urban, and none of the stalls are open to NACS vehicles. Same with Baker, CA, 20 V3 and 40 V2, not open to NACS.

So, Tesla probably isn't opening mixed sites to other OEMs.

Last edited:
It's in the FordPass app
It sure looks like what Tesla displays, so maybe it is a HTML pass-through to Tesla for Supercharger sites?

If that screenshot is from the FordPass app, then Ford isn't marking prices up from Tesla charges NACS vehicle owners who use the Tesla app. I wonder how much, if any, of that Ford gets to keep... And it mentions the subscription, so I wonder if you subscribe through the FordPass app, does that subscription work in the Tesla app as well? (If you have a Ford and a GM EV, will one Supercharging subscription work across both vehicles and all three apps?)

Yeah, I suspect either a pass through, or Tesla worked with them to add the NACS stuff, or Tesla built a library they can supply to the member companies to incorporate in to their apps.