Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagreed only because you misunderstood the intention of the post. Humans, all humans, are flawed. Pointing that out is not an attack. The wonder of continuous improvement is the ability to correct past mistakes and enhance past good decisions. Elon does that better than any top executive I have known about. He often seems to be the first person to see his own mistakes.

Those flaws are exactly why he seeks 'First Principles', since that is the way he manages to do things never done before so frequently. Exactly those abilities took him from Zip2, to X.com, SpaceX and Tesla, not to mention The Boring Company and Starlink.

So, don't be dismissive of my point. Yes, Elon is flawed. Yes, ignorant people blame him for his obvious and very public flaws. Those flaws are quite real. Despite those he accomplishes more than nearly all of us, his fans, can actually comprehend.

Do not deify him, he's not perfect. Do respect him. Do laud his amazing accomplishments.
Just so you understand here are some of the 'impossible' things he's done:

For all of you who object to my failure to pretend the man I have admired since 2000 and who has had more to do with my own financial well-being than any other, since then, Please think quite carefully. All humans are flawed. What a human can accomplish despite flaws is the point.

Dumb internet cancel culture has made it such that respecting someone, agreeing on one point, or being friends with a person somehow means that you endorse *every* thing that person has ever done. It’s toxic af.

People aren’t perfect.

Not a NFLX fan, but listening to these shorts try to spin a good earnings quarter on CNBC is hilarious.

I guess we'll be seeing a lot of this "fake news" logic from TSLA shorts tomorrow as well.

NFLX was overvalued, but now that it’s PE pretty much just matches the market shorting it further seems silly.

Edit note- I was never short personally.

Last edited:
Tesla is in China because it is the largest car market in the world. Without Tesla leading the industry there and driving EV adoption, China would not be on a path right now to lower CO2 emissions from the auto sector. This is Tesla's Mission, and it has to happen in China for the Mission to succeed.. Everything else is cruft.

Your opinions are overblown.

At this point producing more than you sell in China is just adding risk.

If you can’t see the deteriorating relations, you are 100% burying your head in the sand.

Given what has already happened to the Chinese chip sector, I guarantee that most of the countries that Giga Shanghai is currently exporting will be tariffing/blocking/etc Chinese EVs in the not to distant future.

TMC quarterly estimates spreadsheet is filling up! Thank you @Gigapress !

Hoping it is locked at the bell today and then kept for eternity as a historical record of Tesla's quest to rule the galaxy...err...sustainable energy I mean ;)

Since there isn’t a single non-flawed person on this planet, it means every single human endeavor is being executed by *gasp* flawed humans. It might behoove certain flawed persons in this room to keep that in mind.

Let me sum it up: The flaws of the guy in charge are not relevant to business success.
Since you're speaking to me, I absolutely am very flawed and I have always known that. So are you.

Your mistake is in imagining that "flaws of the guy in charge are not relevant to business success".
That phase is quite transparently incorrect. Everyone has them, but by definition 'flaws' inhibit success rather than enhancing it. That is a matter of definition. I need not quote the OED but you can look it up.

So, when this happens:
"Elon Musk can’t help himself. In an interview with CBS This Morning,the Tesla chief executive admitted to overreaching on Model 3 production targets and factory automation, disappointing both investors and customers. Yet in the next breath he claimed matter-of-factly that Tesla will triple or quadruple production rates this quarter, well beyond those initial lofty targets."
Forbes Apr 13, 2018
There were direct material negative financial consequences of Elon's flaws.
Before the world screams too loudly of how stupid I am for that quotation, it does reveal a nearly unique strength Elon has above other people.

He is often the first person to admit his own mistake and accept blame for it, ratter than blaming other people. That allows him to take risks and accomplish things very few humans have been able to do.

Still, that does not mean that his flaws have had no negative effects. It means that his flaws do not have the extent of negative consequences that they would ahem if someone else would deny or deflect the mistakes.

We should not have an echo chamber. We should not imagine that any Musk-led enterprise intends to have a monopoly on anything.

As for ever thinking that Mr. Musk is not perfect is a traitorous or stupid statement: Please get a grip on reality! TMC is not a religious organization, it's a group of people who are united in admiration for the finest publicly held enterprise of which most of us know.

Why attack somebody for pointing out a truthful and relevant fact?
If I really thought the flaws were terminally material explain why I've been a Musk supporter since X.com?

I disagreed only because you misunderstood the intention of the post. Humans, all humans, are flawed. Pointing that out is not an attack. The wonder of continuous improvement is the ability to correct past mistakes and enhance past good decisions. Elon does that better than any top executive I have known about. He often seems to be the first person to see his own mistakes.

Those flaws are exactly why he seeks 'First Principles', since that is the way he manages to do things never done before so frequently. Exactly those abilities took him from Zip2, to X.com, SpaceX and Tesla, not to mention The Boring Company and Starlink.

So, don't be dismissive of my point. Yes, Elon is flawed. Yes, ignorant people blame him for his obvious and very public flaws. Those flaws are quite real. Despite those he accomplishes more than nearly all of us, his fans, can actually comprehend.

Do not deify him, he's not perfect. Do respect him. Do laud his amazing accomplishments.
Just so you understand here are some of the 'impossible' things he's done:

For all of you who object to my failure to pretend the man I have admired since 2000 and who has had more to do with my own financial well-being than any other, since then, Please think quite carefully. All humans are flawed. What a human can accomplish despite flaws is the point.
My issue with this and everyone else is your and their need to constantly point out that he’s flawed. To state the obvious.

Is this a result of those in your life constantly going around announcing to the world that you’re flawed? Or perhaps a more deeply ingrained inferiority or envy? That’s rhetorical, I already know why people do it and the reasons are already on my long list of why people suck.

Has anyone done research on electrifying cargo rail?

It seems like this could be where battery swap would be the bees knees. Have a railcar(s?) with the batteries and swap them out at stops as needed.

I think the required batteries could be kept reasonable by having periodic overhead wires so they could charge/power themselves with grid power, mostly while climbing grades. They could regen/coast/power on the flats with internal batteries 90% of the distance. This would reduce the size of the batteries required by up to 90% depending upon what the specific goals were.

Electrified trains have been used extensively in Europe and elsewhere with good results. The biggest problem is the expense of maintaining the overhead wires everywhere the train can go, including switching yards, I think. Batteries would free them from the wires.

My issue with this and everyone else is your and their need to constantly point out that he’s flawed. To state the obvious.

Is this a result of those in your life constantly going around announcing to the world that you’re flawed? Or perhaps a more deeply ingrained inferiority or envy? That’s rhetorical, I already know why people do it and the reasons are already on my long list of why people suck.

My theory is that Musk is dealing with worldwide scale. The world isn't evenly distributed and a large part of what Tesla has been doing has been in an echo chamber of the Internet tech industry. As that industry disrupts more (especially into Robots and Transportation with Tesla), there's 100+ years of embedded adoption from Oil & Gas that matches with government, productivity, and (like the US) cultural infrastructure for some, if not, most countries. There's a lot of varied interests just learning about Tesla and there needing to be a lot of education in regards to not only Electric Vehicles, but so much of all the other things that Tesla and Elon Musk does.

...I'm sure it's confusing for those that are uninformed and is causing a lot of uncertainty.

Curious - if you're privy to why...so why are people doing it to Elon Musk?

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
The CCP has been doing that kind of stuff for a while.

Blackmailing Elon with Giga Shanghai is 100% in line with their past behavior.

Some of you posters here really, really have your head stuck in the sand at how fast China relations, Chinese growth, and Chinese leadership is deteriorating. Sweet summer children… It’s probably the single biggest shareholder threat at this point.
It's a lot of noise. Wait until after the elections, noise will be reduce substantially. The democratic party knows their ratings are a dumpster fire but being tough on China is bipartisan so it's an easy agenda to get behind.

Still, that does not mean that his flaws have had no negative effects. It means that his flaws do not have the extent of negative consequences that they would ahem if someone else would deny or deflect the mistakes.

Well, if that ain't walking the ball back! First you said we have trouble how Musk's companies could be so successful considering how flawed he is. Now you explain why his flaws don't have the extent of negative consequences that others have.

My advice to you is to focus more on the things he's doing right than the myriad of things that you consider a problem to success. I will suggest you just may learn the very things you think are faults, actually arise from things that are his greatest strengths. Or maybe you will not see anything new. Some people are simply incapable of seeing the world in a way that makes complete and uncolored sense. That is Elon's greatest strength, his ability to distill things down to their logical essence, the reason so many take issue with him is largely due to their own internal biases that they cannot see beyond. Of course they think they are correct because their biases are so ingrained they are just accepted as truth. Elon has stripped many of those away.

None of this is to say he is perfect, far from it, but relative to most people, his simple way of looking at things creates outsized successes. To me that is all the validation I need. Yet people still try to act superior to the man who accomplishes more good, more progress, in one month than they will in their entire lives.

So many icicles on the chart this morning. Quite the effort going back n forth between a breakout and spoofing.

Surprising to see high growth/risk stocks take it on the chin today considering Netflix's earnings. But up is down in this bear market 🥴
StarFoxisUp?

Haven’t carried a spare in almost ten years and 165K miles of Tesla driving. Haven’t needed one either. Keep some airbin yoir tires and don’t buy cheap tires.
I've not had a puncture in over 20 years either and I run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are an excellent tyre, but I'm still not prepared to sit around like a fool for hours waiting to be rescued if I do get a puncture that can't be fixed by my temporary plug kit, so I'll always carry a spare. Just my old school mind set I suppose of not relying on third party rescue for trivial issues if they do happen! I better shut up now as this is way off topic!

There has been a lot of FUD about demand in the past few weeks. If Tesla can emphatically debunk that FUD today, then I think we will see a nice rally.
Except some institutional guy will ask Elon a question about Ukraine or Starlink and then the wheels fall off (e.g., Covid).