Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's going on really? This forum's volume is 1/5 last weekend's volume.
Some of us have been busy with Tesla products! We took delivery of a new Model Y with FSD last week, thus doing our part for Q4 financials rather than waiting for a potential tax credit, and we have orders for Tesla Energy products on two properties. The old Nissan LEAF will be listed for sale.

Yesterday, I used the Model Y to transport three bikes. The clearance and stability with the Model Y's factory hitch receiver are a real step up from the aftermarket Torklift EcoHitch on our classic Model S.
tempImageMsLGPg.jpg

The Model Y is great, a true leap forward in utility and comfort compared with our 2018 Model 3 (which does remain more fun to drive). I fully believe Elon when he asserts that the Y will become the world's best selling vehicle.

I only wish I could get our Y to download the software with "The Button" so that we can start qualifying for FSD Beta access, but Mobile Service was of no help on this, saying that this is in the hands of "Engineering". Particularly as an investor, I'd like to experience FSD Beta firsthand.

Board member of VW has a no confidence vote for their CEO. Seems to have a lot if infighting about the direction the Ceo wants to take as well as a lack of trust.

That's unfortunate for Diess. I thought he was doing his best to fight Tesla, though its not good for him with how China took to their cars.

Jp Morgan claims recent stock surge was driven by 5 billion dollar buy in from institutional apes, I mean investors.

For those interested in short term movements, it’s worth watching for the abnormal build-up of puts. If it’s true there are HF entities that now hold a lot of shares, they won’t be afraid to rapidly dump them, and you can bet they will buy puts like mad before they do it.

Meanwhile questions you may already have an answer for:

1/ what happens if the value of my TSLA holdings changes (goes down for any reason) - the loan is a loan, nothing changes, is that right? I could even move my TSLA shares out to my other broker (IBKR) and eTrade would be left with the loan without any guarantees?

2/ do my IRA shares count when getting a loan?
1) If the value goes down below the level they approved you for you get a call to add more collateral or they will start selling collateral. No, you can't pull the shares out of the pledged account if it would bring you below the minimum level necessary to secure the amount you have borrowed.

2) No. (If you did get a loan secured against them it would count as a distribution and you would get taxed and possibly an early withdrawal penalty.)

• Informative
Reactions: CLK350
Board member of VW has a no confidence vote for their CEO. Seems to have a lot if infighting about the direction the Ceo wants to take as well as a lack of trust.

how abnormal is a vote of no confidence for a board member of VW to the CEO? Is this rare or never happens or is it more common? Wondering how big of an issue this is...

For those interested in short term movements, it’s worth watching for the abnormal build-up of puts. If it’s true there are HF entities that now hold a lot of shares, they won’t be afraid to rapidly dump them, and you can bet they will buy puts like mad before they do it.
Meh. The headline is institutions rabidly buying TSLA shares to keep up with their peers. That outweighs my jitters about heavy put positions by about 100 to 1. Especially since we KNOW with relative certainty there are plenty of funds out there with dramatically undersized TSLA positions relative to other funds.

This stock is 2.5% of the S&P500 and shot up 44% in October. There are still far more people with their careers literally on the line than there are folks with huge chunks of shares to dump on the market. Just look at the action today, MM's are eating buy orders like crazy and SP won't go down.

This is speculative but fundamentally true. It is a fundamental reason Tesla is different and others are not positioned to make TSLA killers.

Acoustics is really complicated and geometry specific. It is hard to make every seat a good seat, as in Carnegie Hall.

The combination of 1) a narrow product line with long running designs, 2) a commitment to a great audio experience, and 3) Over the Air Updates make it possible for TESLA to deliver a better (and improving) audio experience for everyone in the car. Better for sharing. Better for everyone.

The comparative reference is GM that will deliver a car for every niche. These cars are not acoustically identical and when you create a car for a niche you divide people and assign/assume values for these people. Then you invest in the narrow set of values you ascribe to that niche.

Tesla makes generally useful vehicles that broadly satisfy. These types of vehicles can bring people together because they are not single function vehicles.

Because of this you see more concentrated volume and concentrated focus on the performance of TESLA vehicles.

The acoustic sharing capability (consider the fire place experience with crackling and stereo separation) built into each Tesla can create a perception that this Venn diagram is in fact true (it is very close to true).

Influencers often care about music, so their preferences are leveraged across the larger population - they pull in the gray.

1635958588685.png

Meh. The headline is institutions rabidly buying TSLA shares to keep up with their peers. That outweighs my jitters about heavy put positions by about 100 to 1. Especially since we KNOW with relative certainty there are plenty of funds out there with dramatically undersized TSLA positions relative to other funds.

This stock is 2.5% of the S&P500 and shot up 44% in October. There are still far more people with their careers literally on the line than there are folks with huge chunks of shares to dump on the market. Just look at the action today, MM's are eating buy orders like crazy and SP won't go down.

Personally I don't care...don't have any short-term skin in the game. But I always expect shenanigans and find it fascinating to think about how the people who are driven by nothing but greed will adapt and find a way to tilt the field in their favor.

For Diess it's pretty normal. This is the second or third time.
Ha ha - cool - so this was indeed what the Diess show of all 200 managers w/ Elon invite was all about - power show - now .... to address that previous question re what about Tesla doing a capital raise, what for?

How about investing in some VW stonk (or whatever the owner company is) - not worth a complete takeover re asset valuation so poor - but just to support Diess who's on board with Tesla's mission actually. Eventually help with some tech /components sharing too.

Last edited: