Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is starting to charge $10/month for its Premium Connectivity package. Also now available for SR+ owners (but still no 1 year free trial for new SR+ orders).

ELLpCAnWwAA8rqr

Via: @InSpaceXItrust

Connectivity

"If you purchased your Tesla on or after July 1, 2018 and have an expected Premium Connectivity trial end date on or before December 31, 2019, you will maintain Premium Connectivity until returning to Standard Connectivity on January 1, 2020.

All deliveries of Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus on or before December 31, 2019 will receive a 30-day complimentary Premium Connectivity trial."

Last edited:
View attachment 485580

First Lincoln and now Ford.
Ford Supercharger spotted at LA Auto Show.

Just for clarity, Lincoln is a Ford brand (if Lincoln did it, Ford already did it).

Also, the Ford pic, while perhaps not pretty, does address the charging while towing use case. The suspended midpoint approach is used by some TMC readers with the 24 ft Walk Connector.

• Informative
Reactions: Dig deeper
Tesla is starting to charge $10/month for its Premium Connectivity package. Also now available for SR+ owners (but still no 1 year free trial for new SR+ orders).

ELLpCAnWwAA8rqr

Via: @InSpaceXItrust

Connectivity

"If you purchased your Tesla on or after July 1, 2018 and have an expected Premium Connectivity trial end date on or before December 31, 2019, you will maintain Premium Connectivity until returning to Standard Connectivity on January 1, 2020.

All deliveries of Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus on or before December 31, 2019 will receive a 30-day complimentary Premium Connectivity trial."
Ouch. I just got this, too.

VW? Well, technically it's 3 factories. BYD also makes a few EVs in China (247k last year, including ~20k buses and trucks). You might find a few other EV factories in China as well, 60% of the world's EVs don't just materialize out of thin air.

The real news in China is the shift from ultra-low end EVs to ones that can compete in export markets. That's where Tesla comes in.

This looks about as lucrative as the ZEV market, at least this year and next. Maybe they'll ratchet the requirement up enough in 2021 to create some demand for the credits?

Obviously there are others. My tongue in cheek comment was more about does anyone else sell solely EVs that will have a large number of credits to make available to others. BYD and VW, etc. will need credits from at least some of their EVs to offset sales of their non EVs. Tesla will likely be the largest EV only player awash in credits for LR EVs to make available to others with GF3 online.

Anyway, a positive China development no matter how you slice it if the final version is close to what is being proposed.

Reactions: HG Wells
I imagine this doesn't need to be pointed out, but Tesla has always stated that premium connectivity would be an extra, and it's only been goodwill on their part that they haven't done so thusfar.
This is actually one of the negatives to switching to a Cybertruck from our Model 3. I have lifetime premium connectivity in my Model 3. $10/month isn't a huge deal but it is nice not having to worry about it now.

Dan

Reactions: Thumper
I imagine this doesn't need to be pointed out, but Tesla has always stated that premium connectivity would be an extra, and it's only been goodwill on their part that they haven't done so thusfar.

That, and it's not a bad deal for people without unlimited data plans. With Google Fi I pay $10 per GB, so as long as Premium Connectivity saves me more than 1 GB in cell phone use per month, it's worth the price.

That, and it's not a bad deal for people without unlimited data plans. With Google Fi I pay $10 per GB, so as long as Premium Connectivity saves me more than 1 GB in cell phone use per month, it's worth the price.

Not only a good deal vs 'normal' phone plans, but also a good deal vs other automaker connectivity plans. My old Volvo was twice this cost, and I believe Audi is similar to Volvo.

You get phone-to-car tethering with the Volvo, but overall I like the Tesla structure better.

I'm glad Tesla's finally doing this, as it has been an obvious untapped revenue stream for quite some time now. Doing it at this price point is even better, as it taps that stream in a way that is very fair to the customer base relative to competitors.

I say this even though one of my cars wasn't purchased early enough to qualify for the grandfathered free lifetime connectivity.

So now that GM has announced a 30 GWh Gigafactory with LG Chem in Ohio with options for expansion where do we list the top legacy automakers in the BEV transition? VW is signing battery cell purchase contracts in the billions and is a minority investor in North Volt and has plans to produce MEB BEVs in Germany, Tennessee and China.

Does GM leapfrog VW MEB efforts? I take it GM kWh/vehicle with a truck heavy lineup will be much greater than VW.

1) GM
2) VW
3) Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi
4) Daimler
5) Ford

If nobody is going to be buying the cars they produce, the list order doesn't matter. See recent Jaquar and Audi EV sales figures for what the future holds for the Legacy automakers. Recent WSJ article touched on this:

Car Makers Rushing to Copy Tesla Lack One Thing: Buyers

So the end game is going to be that the legacies finally pour the required money into building battery factories and EVs, only to find that no one wants them, and they have to sell them at a loss. Double whammy, not going to be pretty. I love it.

RT

I'm hearing more and more of my friends and acquaintances having put down a deposit for the Cybertruck “just in case.” These are people that have never owned a Tesla who I never would have thought had an interest in Tesla. I'm not sure how many will actually purchase it and my sense is that the commitment is low but then it dawned on me, these people have just paid $100 to be on a marketing email list, will start seeing articles and SM posts related to Tesla, will be engaging in conversations with friends and coworkers, and will become part of the Tesla community one day. The controversial cybertruck and the small refundable deposit now seems like marketing genius.

Not seen it mentioned yet, so... We assumed the TriMotor CbrTrk would need some more time because it needs a battery advancement happen to get 500 Miles range. Now, since it‘s been moved forward 12 month..what does it tell us about that battery advancements?

Nothing. It's a double-thickness pack.

This is actually one of the negatives to switching to a Cybertruck from our Model 3. I have lifetime premium connectivity in my Model 3. $10/month isn't a huge deal but it is nice not having to worry about it now.

Dan

For what it's worth, an annuity paying $12/mo for 20 years at 9,8% interest (the average rate of returns of the S&P) costs only $1271.

Ouch. I just got this, too.
So video streaming is part of the package. I thought it would be wifi only irregardless of the connectivity. I know it's enabled today but thought it's still a trial or something.

This will drive demand greatly for premium connectivity. Pretty sure Tesla isn't making a lot of money there but hey if it has a 30-40% margin then it would be great.

So video streaming is part of the package. I thought it would be wifi only irregardless of the connectivity. I know it's enabled today but thought it's still a trial or something.

This will drive demand greatly for premium connectivity. Pretty sure Tesla isn't making a lot of money there but hey if it has a 30-40% margin then it would be great.

Yeah, my understanding was that the connectivity package would not include the new video streaming services, but happy to be wrong if it does.

Reactions: Thumper and BBone