Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hahaha that TiffanyMPhotography person blocked me because... I said I recently had a good service experience; not even in direct reply to her. She claims to be a former customer, but I’m reasonably sure she’s just a short.

Never heard of this one before, but having just checked the Twitter feed, conclusion is another nutter...

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I would argue Tesla sells more cars by getting cars out to customers faster. Not having a delay is better than dealing with some insurance fiasco and fulfill those same orders again later.

Every new Tesla owner sells more Teslas. Sooner they have their car, sooner that they can engage with new potential owners.
Also, they would likely be insured for the wholesale price only rather than the retail price - so no juicy margins.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Paging @KarenRei
foriceland.JPG

Minor correction here - the requirement is carmakers need NEV credits equal to 10% of sales (might be 12%, I don't track the frequent changes that closely). Since a long range BEV can earn 4-5 credits the industry can meet the requirement less than a million NEVs. Or a mix of 1-2 million BEVs and PHEVs of various ranges.

They also frequently change the amount of credits each type of car earns, so the above numbers may be slightly out of date. But the gist is correct - they'll meet the 2020 requirement without breaking a sweat.

It's 12% in 2020 and reduced to just 1-3.4 credits per car based on range (and also moved from NEDC to WLTP range further reducing credits per car). I'd guess it will require something like 7% of sales in 2020.

That's a huge amount of cars that needs to be replaced. 28 million cars per year. 16.8 million EVs per year. For 2020, the target is 10% which means 2.8mil cars need to be EV.

Never thought I'd say this, but China just has the ripe condition where there's no entranced ICE maker that can influence politicians and an engineering based leadership who are hungry for tech as well as the authoritarian power to kill off the traditional dirty industry at will.
There's always been an argument that a benevolent dictator is the best form of government as there's no time wasted with red tape, gaining consensus, etc. Unfortunately they don't exist, China's ideas may align with us on this point but there are many we would find repugnant.

Looks like Porsche is behind Tesla in battery technology by at least 6 years. Thread:
Vladimir Grinshpun on Twitter

No, no, you've got it wrong, Jalopnik said it was because Tesla don't cool their batteries properly and they're all going to fail mid next year, or something. Do keep up!

It's 12% in 2020 and reduced to just 1-3.4 credits per car based on range (and also moved from NEDC to WLTP range further reducing credits per car). I'd guess it will require something like 7% of sales in 2020.

China NEV retail sales have remained weak in August following the large subsidy reductions at the end of June. Part of this is likely due to demand pull forward, but also just to the lower value for money post subsidy reduction (however not much of this has actually been passed on to consumers yet).
August retail NEV sales were +0.8% mom and -22% yoy at 66k. This puts YTD +42% yoy at 699k.

I'm not sure China's 2020 NEV mandate requirements will be so easy to meet. Most Chinese EV manufacturers just don't have the technology to make very compelling or good value cars yet. I can see NEV credits becoming quite valuable in 2020.