Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's exactly what will happen (I have no inside info).
I'm calling it: "It's dead Jim." But I suspect that the only way we are going to get more information is if lawyers get involved or if someone near Franklin, TN drops by the address listed for the new 057 Companies, LLC, and asks what is going on. (Which could be unrelated, but I highly doubt it.)

And a new vendor in Tennessee today advertising battery/drive/other warranty coverage for some states, for 2017 and newer cars.
Hi, this is Joe from Amber.

Thanks for pointing this out - we have been getting our vendor profile set up on TMC, and looks like we may have mistakenly put Tennessee as the location for AmberCare, our breakdown coverage ("extended warranty") offering. We are based in San Francisco, CA.

By all indications, they are a warranty/service plan provider, not a repair shop. See: Amber | EV Mechanical Breakdown Coverage | FAQ

"Where can I go to repair my EV:
In the event of a breakdown, please take your vehicle in to your manufacturer’s service center, or any Electrified Garage repair facility."
Yes, that's right. Today, we offer breakdown coverage products ("extended warranty"), but we are exploring entering the repair business as well with the help of our partners who are already operating repair shops and ex-Tesla technician advisors.

Oh. A new company that wants to sell us warranties for cars that won't need it for another 2 years shows up.

Nothing shady about that.
Our first coverage option - High Voltage protection - covers the battery, drive unit, and other components that would typically be covered under the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty (4 yr, 50K miles). When designing this coverage option, we wanted to provide a coverage option that covered the major cases that would lead to vehicle breakdown. We heard from Tesla technicians and owners that many owners don't realize that the Tesla Battery and Drive Unit warranties only cover the HV battery and drive unit, leading to tough conversations when there are separate components that could be causing issues with charging / HV battery (for example PCS failure not providing power to 12V).

We are actively working on a few additional coverage types that would be more relevant to owners that have newer vehicles and expect to release those in Q1 2024.

Apologies for the late entry to the thread, and for the brief takeover via the chain of responses, but I feel strongly about providing clear, straightforward answers about Amber.

We completely understand that it's difficult to trust a new vendor (or any 3p vendor for that matter) for extended warranty coverage. Our job is to earn that trust by making it crystal clear how our products work, and following through on what we say what we'll do.

We started Amber and AmberCare after talking to many owners and technicians about what's missing in aftermarket support for Tesla and EV owners, and we believe that providing tailored, high-quality protection and repair services for EV owners is an attractive business to enter. But we also understand that our services aren't a fit for everyone, and that there will be other alternatives in the market.

- Joe

Last edited:
I have started a new post-warranty battery service called Dontbeafuggindummy. We pride ourselves on outstanding high quality service and are backed by the full faith and credit of the US government instead of "some guy."

Here is how we work. After you buy that new fancy Tesla, take $10,000 and buy a 10 year US treasury. Forget all about us. If your battery fails after 8 years, cash out that treasury and apply to your battery replacement from Tesla. If your battery fails after 10 years, you've made all of the compounded interest through maturity and you can now pay for that battery without dipping into savings. If your battery doesnt fail, take the money and buy yourself a new car, stick the money back into your pocket or better yet, take the Mrs. on a vacation (celebrating your HV battery health over some good champagne) and we guarantee you'll get screwed better than if you had purchased a plan from our extended-warranty competition.

Yes, that's right. Today, we offer breakdown coverage products ("extended warranty"), but we are exploring entering the repair business as well with the help of our partners who are already operating repair shops and ex-Tesla technician advisors.

Can you either confirm or deny that Amber has anything to do with the current wk057Tech situation?

Reactions: ccalahan and hydro
It's interesting that the 057 Website is still up, with Jason Hughes personally Twitter Links all over it etc.
Jason has been active on Twitter/X over the last 2-3 months, but almost purely in a Bitcoin related sense/interest.
It seems all his time/efforts have swung behind this new endeavour.

Surely with the near passing of 6 months or so, the community here deserves some sort of explanation about 057 Tech and what actually has occurred.

I never got any indications from Jason about him being a grifter etc in that sense.
His explanations and warnings to the community about the Cell Repair Business and Short Term Fixes etc were always on the money.

Honestly probably the worst aspect of the apparent demise of 057 Tech as a Business, is that we've lost one of the more knowledgeable people on Tesla Battery/Backend Tech etc on these forums.

It appears intellectually at least Jason has moved on, and we may well not see that knowledge shared any longer, which will probably be a loss to the TMC overall.

Last I heard from Mr. Hughes is this comment he submitted 8 weeks ago to a discussion of the BMS_u029 alert reset device. Pic is from Facebook Group I administer.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 165041.png