Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look up rich Rebuilds I did a complete door handle replacement video with him. You’d be better served to buy the entire kit from me with upgraded components. We now make an upgraded gear for the motor too, which you won’t find in the Tesla parts catalog. We have over 1k kits sold and zero failures. Door Handle
I've seen Rich's video, thanks. I appreciate the offer, but that's more than I'm willing to pay. I'd rather get the redesigned part for $2 from Tesla.

So for people who ordered the Paddle/Pivot gear 1042845-00-A or 1042845-00-B from Tesla, how did you do it?

I called my local service center, their parts department has a voicemail which cuts me off (so I can't leave a message) and the regular service number has a long wait time. I emailed customerservice@tesla waiting for a response, but is there a better approach/email for this?

Also, does anyone have a part number for the actual little gear that the paddle connects with? I might as well order both just in case.

Unless it is the "UPDATED" stainless steel version that people are posting on here, I wouldn't order that, as you would still have to keep replacing them in the future!

Find one of the newer designs that are SS!

Unless it is the "UPDATED" stainless steel version that people are posting on here, I wouldn't order that, as you would still have to keep replacing them in the future!

Find one of the newer designs that are SS!
Correct that is the one we offer and why it is so much more money and we aren’t punching out thousands at a time the way the cast ones are.

Reactions: FlyinLow
Picked up rev2 from the service center. $1.22. The material is different.

The original feels aluminum and is non ferrous. The new one is [ss? steel alloy?], and it's ferrous (magnet test)

We'll see how it holds up.

Attachments

• 20181127_181335.jpg
    20181127_181335.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Crap, I broke the C-shaped washer that prevents the rod from sliding out.

Anyone know offhand what size it is? I can probably pick one up in home depot?
Tesla won't sell me one, said I can buy a pivot gear, the switches or a new door handle. Geee thanks, $900 for a $0.10 part.

I guess I'll find thet online and buy a bunch of different sizes

Tesla won't sell me one, said I can buy a pivot gear, the switches or a new door handle. Geee thanks, $900 for a $0.10 part.

I guess I'll find thet online and buy a bunch of different sizes

I broke the first one i took out also. I rigged it with something i found around the house. I don't remember exactly what, but it's been fine for over a year now. Honestly, that bar can't really go anywhere. It doesn't take much to keep it in place.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max*
I broke the first one i took out also. I rigged it with something i found around the house. I don't remember exactly what, but it's been fine for over a year now. Honestly, that bar can't really go anywhere. It doesn't take much to keep it in place.
I ordered this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HJZX9RZ

I'll update with what size it was once it arrives. I need to take it apart again anyways, the door handle catches when it's open (I didn't align it perfectly).

Reactions: mmccord
2013 Model S with 122,000 miles and I'm now on my 6th door handle failure :(.
The first four failures happened under warranty so they only slightly bothered me. Clearly the in warranty replaced parts sucked just as much as the originals.

Thankfully now they do rebuilds of the door handles instead of replacing the whole assembly.
Entire door handle assembly replacement is around $1000 and the rebuild is around $300 a door handle out of warranty.

This door handle design is a poor engineering choice on multiple fronts.
When the door handle fails due to the paddle gear breaking the handle continues attempting to extend the door handle for INFINITELY :mad:. Why not just have a timeout after awhile? If the door handle doesn't extend for minutes why keep trying wasting energy and causing unnecessary wear. It should time out and only attempt again when there's a new attempt to open the door.

I'd pay for an aftermarket assembly that is less complicated like the model 3 design or some aston martins.

Is this PADDLE GEAR (1042845-00-B) the most recent part number that is the more sturdy design?

My design is better than both versions. Over 1k of mine sold and zero failures. Version B of theirs are still failing and should be original equipment on Gen 3 handles now. I have friends that still work for Tesla that are doing the gears a second or third time in several cases. We even upgraded the original Model S that consumer reports reviewed back in 2012/2013!