Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EAmap_June2020-2360.jpg

He doesn't want one of the first ones anyway, he wants to make sure the bugs are worked out first. Which I agree with. When I bought the Model X was just out and I didn't seriously consider it because the Model S was much more reliable at that point.

My feeling as well, as well as action. We had a Signature reservation on Model X that we didn't make use of. Mostly due to not shipping with a fold fully flat configuration. But after awhile, it morphed as well into waiting out the early teething pains.

We finally acted on a 90 in the 47k VIN range. And we'll probably do something similar on any future Teslas we buy - wait 12-18 months from release before we buy. We're pretty early adopters of EVs, but not THAT early of adopters :)

Reactions: JRP3 and KJD
Amazon reportedly acquires self-driving car startup Zoox

Demo:

Big moves by Amazon: Zoox (FSD, acquisition) + Rivian (car manufacturing $700 M investment) + Aurora (FSD, investment, company also purchased a Lidar's manufacturer, BlackMore) + Toyota (autonomous delivery, partnership) + Mojio (connected car platform, investment) + ?
This was something of a rescue. Zoox tech looks good, but they blew a bundle unnecessarily designing a custom vehicle and couldn't make the deals needed to move forward.

Autonomous trucking offers terrific ROI. The Robotaxi business model is much more questionable.

Bjorn Nyland just got his hands on a Honda E. Performed his usual couple of range tests. Slow speed at 90kph and the higher speed one at 120kph.

The range at 90 kph (56mph) is 117 miles.
The range at 120 kph (74mph) is 75 miles.

This should remove all doubt as to why Honda decided last October to not ship this car to the U.S. Available in Europe. With that kind of range, you could practically do a full tour of Andorra and have juice left to spare!

Apologies for posting this in the "Tesla Competition" thread. I couldn't seem to find a "Tesla Non-Competitors" thread so this will have to do.

Like the side profile and rear, hate the front "grille" treatment. They just can't get away from that outdated look.

Nissan Ariya EV Crossover To Be Sold In US, Debut Coming July 15
Nissan went grille-less with the original Leaf. It looked dorky and people mocked it, so they went with a faux grille for Gen 2 (and presumably all future EVs).

Front view in general is my least favorite Tesla angle. The original Model S had a faux grille which never looked right. The current Model S front is an improvement, but still falls short of the rest of the car's timeless design. And don't get me started on Model 3 front end.

Cybertruck is the one exception -- the front is definitely not my least favorite angle!

Nissan went grille-less with the original Leaf. It looked dorky and people mocked it, so they went with a faux grille for Gen 2 (and presumably all future EVs).

Front view in general is my least favorite Tesla angle. The original Model S had a faux grille which never looked right. The current Model S front is an improvement, but still falls short of the rest of the car's timeless design. And don't get me started on Model 3 front end.

Cybertruck is the one exception -- the front is definitely not my least favorite angle!

I don’t think it was the lack of grill that led to all the mockery. The protruding frog like headlights were a bigger problem.

Reactions: GSP and JRP3
I don’t think it was the lack of grill that led to all the mockery. The protruding frog like headlights were a bigger problem.

Ding ding ding!

I have a Leaf. The "eyes" scream frog, while the rest of the body screams toad. The grill-less front simply reinforced the frog look, but wasn't ugly by itself.

I was playing around with the Porsche configurator. With relatively modest options, and including the 93 kWh battery pack, a 4S configuration can easily hit $130-140K MSRP. Even things like heated seats are an option. Not sure what they can leave out to get the base price down to $85k - unless maybe they eliminate the front motor and go to a single speed gearbox in the rear.

The base Taycan was anounced - but only for China. I presume that it will later be available in Europe and US. Single motor (RWD) but dual speed gearbox. It's on all automotive news. Price in China is ~77% of the 4S - which means base version here will start at around 80k. The surprise was the availability of the long range battery (as an option), which will give the base Taycan the longest range. EPA will be pitiful, but real world probably more than OK. My 4S does 300 miles on highway, the base Taycan will probably push 320..

The grille was not the problem with the LEAF. The styling of the entire vehicle was a disaster. Around the same time Nissan came up with this concept so they could have done a good looking vehicle without a traditional grille

esflow-gallery-3.jpg.ximg.l_12_m.smart.jpg

Reactions: GSP
Mach-e configurator open in the US now: https://www.ford.com/buy/mach-e/build-and-price.html

Looks like the cheapest possible configuration for the LR RWD (EPA est. 300 miles, 0-60 in mid 6 sec) will be $55,000. LR AWD (EPA est. 270, 0-60 in mid 5 second) will be $57,700.

Will definitely compete with the Model Y LR AWD on price, but will slightly underperform on range and acceleration.

EDIT: Just an aside, how will fans of the Mustang name feel about their LR AWD going slower than my Model 3 SR+ RWD (0-60 in 5.3 sec)? :D

Last edited: