Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Earl Rudder Fwy South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Guacahummus

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2020
Tex 📐
Northside of the restaurant. I noticed it only easy-off northbound, but all others are not as straightforward.
1710189334437.png

I was just there yesterday, Sunday May 26, 2024 around 8 am and took some pictures.

Nothing to see as far as construction or prep work. The site planning document above is an ancillary lot on the way away from Cooper's Pit Bar-B-Que next to the Highway. Wafting smells of fresh Bar-B-Que float through the area constantly when the air is still.

The North exit is a direct exit to the service road next to the Highway.

Its way out there as far as most of the rest of the town is concerned but easy enough to get to if you just take the road we call FM2818 or Harvey Mitchell next to the Walmart under the Overpass until it turns into Emerald Parkway then double back down Sebesta Road and turn into the Cooper Bar-B-Que lot run across that to the exit ancillary lot and there it is.

Compared to the Supercharger dead center of town on the main Texas Ave strip in the packed HEB parking lot, this one is very remote and will cater either to people who live on that side of town, or only passing through from Houston to Waco.. or for out of town travelers coming in for football games and looking for a place to eat after the game. Decent place to hang for tailgating too after the game if you don't want to hang around the University. - it seems kind of an odd choice when we have lots of empty real estate elsewhere closer to businesses with air conditioning during the hot Summer months.. but oh well. I guess negotiations didn't go well.

I recall there were other notions of placing a Supercharge site on the North side of Campus or in the Upscale shopping district just North of College Main. But those seem to have fallen through.

Its badly needed.

The single HEB lot in the middle of town has constant usage with the "High Usage Supercharge site reducing your charge to 80%" message all the time. The charging stalls aren't "broken" per se, but from their high usage sometimes the slots will only charge at up to 37 Kw h even though they are rated much higher. I think this means their terminals need to be tightened because we log a complaint and a few days later they are back to normal with no other major changes. - The site also has a nutty allotment and arrangement for handicapped parking which takes out 2-3 slots (out of 8) reserved for handicapped people all of the time.. seems very poor planning to me... needs more stalls.

After just over a year, while I'm grateful there is a Supercharger site here, and it works very well.. but it was massively under-planned for a major SEC Conference University town.. and its getting used to death by the surge in Teslas by students. People get in an out of it okay, but you kind of have to wait until after 10 or 11pm to find a slot reliably open. The good thing is it is open 24x7 even when the gas pumps shutdown and they turn out the lights.. not all Superchargers have that.

The good thing is for a fairly not-careful apartment dweller I only have to visit the Charging site about once a week. Unless leaving town, and generally keep it from 30-80 percent charged.

Last edited: