Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some new data from research on Tesla model 3 cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has recently been released a series of new research reports containing tests on Tesla Model 3 Cells (Panasonic 2170 NCA).
This is the calendar aging test from one of them (25C, 15, 50 and 85% SOC. Checkup once a month):
Using the datapoints from these and putting them in the old charts I ususally post, these match the olds ones quite good. As there is only three points, it do not show the real form of the curve, but all three points match the usual graphs.
IMG_1736.jpeg

For the cyclic tests, they did use rather high currents, not really respresentative to normal EV use. (To the researchers defense, the currents used is sort of the most EV-battery manufacturers current in the specifications but still not close to the regulkar EV usage).
Charged with 0.33C which would match about a 25kW DC charger, or double to four times the usual rate EV owners use mostly. Probably not offsetting the result much, but to be clear this is how it was done.

Discharged with 1C, which would be 78kW, about enough to drive constant at 200kph. This is way above the average power used from a regular EV. Driving at higway speeds at 120kph/80mph or so, we normally use like 1/4 of that power.
The average car often has a average speed longterm of about 50-60kph, meaning we often use 1/8-1/4 of the power in these cyclic tests.
From other tests we can se that lower power reduce the wear, the degradation often reduces to somewhere down to 0.5-0.7C.

In this report the author was a bit surprised over the increased wear at 5-15% SOC and 15-25% SOC. I would say that it it a very high probability of that this is induced by the 1C discharge rate, and that our normal power rates used IRL would make this look different. This is nothing I can promise but from several other research tests we can see that there ususally is a tendency to slightly increase the cyclic degradation at the lowest SOC ranges.

According to this chart, the best cycling range is 55 % down to 35%( see note below about true SOC).

Note: These are “True SOC”. 0% in this chart is where the car already has stopped, and 5% in-chart is about 0% displayed and 55% in-chart is is about 57% displayed.
IMG_1735.jpeg

As I said above, there is a high probability that the low SOC range wear much less with a lower C-rate. Anyway, due to the high impact of calendar aging we most certainly benefit from staying low in SOC.

For the first two years, we would loose about 9-9.5% from calendar aging if staying at high SOC.
During these two years, if we drive 15-20K km annually (10-15Kmiles), and stay in the very low regime cycling (5-25% true SOC, thats 0-20% displayed SOC) we would loose about 1% from ~ 75-100 FCE cycles during these two years/30-40K km.

IRL its not possible to stay that low in SOC without actively stopping the charging, as 50% is the lowest setting (but for reference to low /high SOC).

To reach the same level of cyclic degradation from low SOC cycling according to the chart we would need about 700FCE, or about 280K km, but that is not really possible to do and at the same time stay at 5-25% SOC.

So, a car charged to 80-90%, and used as most EV’s is used, will mostly be above 55% SOC and have a calendar aging close to the 85% graph.
After two years, it will be around 10% degradation if the average cell temp is about 25C.

If the car was charged to 50-55% it would have a calendar aging around 6%, and the cyclic aging would be half the high SOC car, so more or less negligeble.

Link to one report

[Edit]For what its worth, if someone is worried about the low SOC below 20% (I am not, but I’m aware of the classic forum rumors), charging to 50-55% and charging for the daily drives at or above 20% (not talking longer traveling here) all aspect of this report if ticked-in-the-box.

I will not change any of my charging behavior because of this report. There is from time to time small differences in the reports and usually the reason for that can be found by thorougly comparing with other tests. We need much more than one report to state a “fact”.

Last edited:
Personally don’t notice a difference between power at 50% vs 80+%. It’s still way faster than it needs to be even at 35%.
I can confirm - if you do not have a P or Ludicrous model, which requires higher SoC and elevated temperature, but - say - a standard Model S 70D, then the power delivered seems controlled by software to match the specs for the car at many different SoC.

(SMT occasionally reports that my Battery can deliver more than 300 kW, that my front engine offers 197 kW and my rear engine 186 kW, but from new it ALWAYS delivered 275 -281 kW. Later in life it has grown slightly to 285 kW according to TeslaMate, which still results in a 0-100 kmph around 5 seconds :) )

Attached screen dumps are from 2016-2018 when I used the danish LinkMyTesla logger, which - aomongst other - had the shown screens.
1715417402478.png
1715417416443.png
1715417430531.png

Is increased internal resistance a mechanism of degradation? Something else?
According to Jeff Dahn (Li-Ion professor and expert at Dalhousie University, with a team of students and PHDs that are Tesla Consultants) the way to not cause excessive increase in Battery Internal Resistance for NMC is to stay below 4,07V :)

(As my Model S 70D has Panasonic NCA cells, I try to stay below the Nasa recommeded 3,92V or approx 72%)

Here is capacity loss and internal resitance growth with charge to 4,2% versus Charge to 4,07V - As always ! Stay Low in SoC when possible :)
1715418390200.png

A 2 factor increase in internal resistance may turn a Ludicrous into just a P model :-(
In short. Jeff Dahn recommends a lower daily Max SoC of 75% and not the current Tesla Official 80% (pretty much as does most posts in this thread) and storage at 30%.

1715418073236.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
According to Jeff Dahn (Li-Ion professor and expert at Dalhousie University, with a team of students and PHDs that are Tesla Consultants) the way to not cause excessive increase in Battery Internal Resistance for NMC is to stay below 4,07V :)
Calendar aging losses is initially 10X cyclic aging. Most people only refer to capacity from the battery.
It’s perhaps only a few Performane-people that really cares about internal resistance, like me.
While its trie that the internal resistance increases much faster (2X) above ~85-90% which is around 4.07V, it might not be a good idea to stay at 4.06V, as the calendar aging is doubled compared to low SOC.
There is only one real (practical) solution to reduce thecalendar aging - have the battery below the ”steep step” as much time as possible. (While it is possible to reduce the calendar aging with the same amount by having the battery cold most people can not have it at 0C /freezing in average.

(As my Model S 70D has Panasonic NCA cells, I try to stay below the Nasa recommeded 3,92V or approx 72%)

Again, calendar aging takes the largest bite of the capacity.
Keeping the SOC at or below 55% displayed for most of the time reducea the calendar aging with ~50%.
IMG_4903.jpeg

Actual model S cells adter calendar aging.
This graph mathes many other tests, and the high res tests shows that at or below 55% displayed SOC is the way to go.

All other ”voltage targets” or ”microcrack talk” talk get you on the wrong track.
IMG_2969.jpeg

Here is capacity loss and internal resitance growth with charge to 4,2% versus Charge to 4,07V - As always ! Stay Low in SoC when possible :)
View attachment 1046127

A 2 factor increase in internal resistance may turn a Ludicrous into just a P model :-(
In short. Jeff Dahn recommends a lower daily Max SoC of 75% and not the current Tesla Official 80% (pretty much as does most posts in this thread) and storage at 30%.

View attachment 1046126

Theres one big flaw here -omce again the same. Cycles will only cause a fraction of the calendar aging you get during the first 5-10 years.
Looking only at cycles will put you on a dead end road leading to no reduction in the total degradation.

Lower SOC cycles is better.
Do not charge more than ypu need until the next charge, and when possible do not have the car standing above 55% SOC.
This cuts your first five year degradation in half, reducing the total degradation with ~ 5-6%.
During the first 5-6 years you did not even get 5-6% cyclic aging, so you can not reduce it that much.

Most discussions focus on cyclic aging - but the largest degradation by far for the first 5-10 years comes from calendar aging.
We can easily cut that part by half.
The best part is - doing so also reduces the cyclic aging to about the lowest possible.

Cycles from the number in chart to 0%
Each 0.1V equals around 10% SOC with 100% = 4.2V
IMG_5336.jpeg

Actual model 3 cells cycled on 10% steps
IMG_5171.jpeg

Calendar aging losses is initially 10X cyclic aging. Most people only refer to capacity from the battery.
It’s perhaps only a few Performane-people that really cares about internal resistance, like me.
While its trie that the internal resistance increases much faster (2X) above ~85-90% which is around 4.07V, it might not be a good idea to stay at 4.06V, as the calendar aging is doubled compared to low SOC.
There is only one real (practical) solution to reduce thecalendar aging - have the battery below the ”steep step” as much time as possible. (While it is possible to reduce the calendar aging with the same amount by having the battery cold most people can not have it at 0C /freezing in average.

I totally agree,! My 72% Max is when doing long trips and when super charging. My daily commute DOD is centered around 40% and planned so that all longer idle periods happens at less than 55% SoC (50% preferred). The very majority of my capacity loss is likely Calendar Aging. You can see it below, Mean == 41%, Max == 68%, Min = 9%. And I love leaving it below 15% to really speed up the Anode Overhang Capacity Recovery :)

1715439445231.png

Lately I have performed some Voltage Balancing (to not confuse the BMS with my 60 mV Voltage ImBalance :-(), so I came above 80%, waited a few hours at 93% (ONLY enough to confirm that ImBalance did not further improvel) then turned on Camp mode to reduce SoC untill we could depart to get SoC DOWN, DOWN, DOWN. After returning, we did not charge it unnecessarily, but left it at very low SoC (Anode OverHang Capacity recovery) and we did not return to 'business as usual' until several days after. Carge Level Graph can be seen below. Stay Low, Low, Low!!
1715439918941.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and AAKEE
Stay Low, Low, Low!!
Owners with Ludicrous and P models will have a functionality loss at low SoC, namely performance :-( For my car it is only Range Inconvenience.

My Low Power Model S 70 D 2015.10 has same acceleration at most SoC's. As seen here, it has same 275 kW - 285 kW and 0-100 kmph in approx 5,2 Secs, at any SoC in between 78% and 51%

Now You Know!

Attachments

• 1715440749969.png
    1715440749969.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Owners with Ludicrous and P models will have a functionality loss at low SoC, namely performance :-( For my car it is only Range Inconvenience.

My Low Power Model S 70 D 2015.10 has same acceleration at most SoC's. As seen here, it has same 275 kW - 285 kW and 0-100 kmph in approx 5,2 Secs, at any SoC in between 78% and 51%

Now You Know!
You know what the acceleration is of the model 3 performance at 30% - 60%? Does it lose alot