Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see how big of a rise we got there, as a large investor accumulated big (about 2 million shares traded, of course a lot of trading but some of it represents the actual long position taken). To me this signals buying pressure; few investors willing to let go of their shares at this point.

Look for a supplemental note from AJ tomorrow or early next week to try and knock the price down a bit again ...

We are getting into window dressing season.

Tesla having an upcoming consultation with Jeff Dahn was in the press months ago. If he had a magic battery, he would not have this sort of deal with Tesla. What he brings is likely the experience of his lab of what doesn't work, and what looks like promising directions to persue.
The correct way to look at batteries is incremental improvement, IMO. The best people with the best labs will likely make the quickest incremental improvements. I think JB Straubel talking last week about a $100/kwh by 2020 is a lot more exciting than whatever consultants Tesla is partnering with. But maybe I missed that discussion.

Mark B. Spiegel@markbspiegel 4h4 hours ago
Just saw Ron Baron pumping $TSLA on #CNBC. Wow, it's amazing how little homework this guy appears to have done.

Well, he bought 1.2million shares when they were $33 each.

Spiegel is a troll "hedge fund manager." His SEC filings read like a bad joke, almost worse than the website he used to run, News Joke Inc, that had the motto, "The News is a Joke". If we ignore him, and stop mentioning his tweets, maybe he'll go away. :wink:

NEWSJOKE INC. | FLUSHING, NY

Last edited:
Tesla having an upcoming consultation with Jeff Dahn was in the press months ago. If he had a magic battery, he would not have this sort of deal with Tesla. What he brings is likely the experience of his lab of what doesn't work, and what looks like promising directions to persue.
The correct way to look at batteries is incremental improvement, IMO. The best people with the best labs will likely make the quickest incremental improvements. I think JB Straubel talking last week about a $100/kwh by 2020 is a lot more exciting than whatever consultants Tesla is partnering with. But maybe I missed that discussion.

Electracity has a good point that Jeff Dahn probably does not have a magic battery in his back pocket, but that he can bring incremental improvements to Tesla's batteries. In particular, the adjusting of electrolytes to make for a battery with almost infinite life is very appealing. Imagine buying a Tesla with a battery that will last 30 years or more. Imagine the resale value of that car. Extending the life of batteries is itself a big deal and higher density plus lower cost is likely too at some point.

this article from Dahn's university also adds a couple of interesting points:
Charging onward: Dahn’s next move marks first Canadian university collaboration with Tesla Motors - Dal News - Dalhousie University

namely:
five-year exclusivity,
start date of june, 2016, presumably because it was the end date of a twenty year deal with 3M.
The article mentioned JB gave a speech at Dahn's Dalhousie University yesterday. Does anyone have a video link?

Electracity has a good point that Jeff Dahn probably does not have a magic battery in his back pocket, but that he can bring incremental improvements to Tesla's batteries. In particular, the adjusting of electrolytes to make for a battery with almost infinite life is very appealing. Imagine buying a Tesla with a battery that will last 30 years or more. Imagine the resale value of that car. Extending the life of batteries is itself a big deal and higher density plus lower cost is likely too at some point.

I would suggest though that it is quite the importance to see Tesla partner with anyone finally on anything battery related. Because they have made statements in the past that they wouldn't touch anyone's stuff because of it all being BS. So for Tesla to break from their trend of not having anything to do with anyone besides Panasonic, and their statements that nothing they have seen is better than what they have in their labs currently, it must be a big deal to pick up Jeff Dahn. Even if it isn't for chemistry breakthroughs, just Tesla partnering with anyone must say a LOT about the quality of work that Jeff Dahn is doing.

Tesla has been going around saying the equivalent of everyone is crap and now here they are signing a deal with someone to give him funding? He must be the only not crap person out there, lol. And to me that is big news!

The students are bouncing off the walls and really looking forward to next June when we start up with Tesla.”

The excitement surrounds a five-year research partnership between Dalhousie and Tesla Motors of California.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1293715-tesla-connection-charges-up-dal-lab

I like to see this enthusiasm. I suspect their PhD program will become one of the hardest to get into anywhere, and they'll have their pick of postdoc candidates. So whether any specific breakthroughs happen over the five year course of this partnership, Tesla will be in a strong position to cultivate and recruit new talent in this field. Remember Musk's view of patents: the velocity of innovation is stronger protection than patents. And cultivating talent with strong engagement is essential to this velocity.

Status
Not open for further replies.