Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Advice - Lease M3H or Purchase MY LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or a third option? I really want to the upcoming MY Juniper, but looking for something to get me through the waiting period. Should I lease a M3H RWD or get a new MY LR at 0.99% interest date? I drive about 10k miles per year. I've had the older Model 3 and current gen Y, but now carless. I am learning toward the lease, but the with 0.99% rate, that complicated my decision.

The benefit of the lease is avoiding potentially significant depreciation as prices change often. Many of us are “under water” with our car loan regardless of the interest rate. On the other hand prices are down sharply over the last 18 months and may be more stable.

I’ve owned 2 Teslas, and the current lease is the best deal by far. The entire $7500 tax credit is applied to the lease making the payment significantly lower than other similarly priced cars.

Your view of future residential value is likely the deciding factor to what’s the best approach.

I’d go the lease route, but I’ve also lost $15k in resale value in just over a year. The lease minimizes that risk.

Third option, if you can, wait for another year to get the MY Juniper, mostly because IMO, there might be some new batteries with improved range.

Anyway, you should calculate the total cost of selling you current car (Tesla is well know fo not giving good rate on used cars),
and buying a new one and selling it after one year (which will be difficult, see video below), and also 10.25% California sales taxes and DMV.

Third option, if you can, wait for another year to get the MY Juniper, mostly because IMO, there might be some new batteries with improved range.

Anyway, you should calculate the total cost of selling you current car (Tesla is well know fo not giving good rate on used cars),
and buying a new one and selling it after one year (which will be difficult, see video below), and also 10.25% California sales taxes and DMV.

I am carless....lol and need one for a 20 mile RT commute.

I suspect the high Model 3 lease payments are to discourage people from leasing. Tesla is well aware of the carnage of ever falling retail prices.

Since you're without a car, and looking for a short term solution, maybe the Model 3 is the best choice. If not, the overall extra cost of the Model Y lease is a about $2,500 more/year.

Despite the sacrilege of suggesting other EVs there are several attract leases to consider: