Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack - Is it Really a Risk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the thread from which the photo of the cracked roof glass was included:

It's known as stress and flex from weight and load shift. Glass can't flex like steel and remain intact.
You are seeing forces that are real but imagining them appearing in the glass. The frame is made to be stiff enough under dynamic vehicle conditions that the roof remains in one piece, doors don't creak etc, roof rack or no.

A couple of hundred pounds on the roof isn't going to wreak merry hell on a frame that can drive over a bump at 100mph and launch a wheel without breaking a window.

It's the hardware contacting the glass. Either over torqued or faulty weld of the bracket.

You are seeing forces that are real but imagining them appearing in the glass. The frame is made to be stiff enough under dynamic vehicle conditions that the roof remains in one piece, doors don't creak etc, roof rack or no.

A couple of hundred pounds on the roof isn't going to wreak merry hell on a frame that can drive over a bump at 100mph and launch a wheel without breaking a window.

It's the hardware contacting the glass. Either over torqued or faulty weld of the bracket.
I'm not imaging anything. The fact is, the glass has cracked from stress. That is all I need to know. YMMV!

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
I'm not imaging anything. The fact is, the glass has cracked from stress. That is all I need to know. YMMV!
You might be surprised how flexible glass can be when it is twisted.

I was opposite some big glass windows of the shop in ground floor of office block. A mild earthquake had the building doing the boogie woogie and the glass was all over the place. Stayed in one piece though.

A point force killed that roof glass.

Reactions: DrDiesel1