Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone in The Netherlands spotted this trailer with 6 Model S heading towards the German border, and posted it on the website Autojunk.nl (junk as in junkie). No customer cars yet - we still have to wait 1-2 months - so probably demo's.

image_04.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another picture of the same trailer.

image_02.jpg

First time parking right next to a Tesla Model S in Newport Beach today! Never been so close to a Model S in the wild before and I love the plate! And yes that is my gas guzzling 8-10 MPG SUV with 260,000 miles right next to it. I was sad that I actually had to unlock and start the car. Hoping my next car is a Tesla!
IMG_20130603_142435.jpg

(I know, "Photos or it didn't happen". Well, new phone and I haven't worked it out yet.)

So I commented to my wife last week that there are more Model S on the road than Roadsters, so it's a wonder we hadn't seen any. Then,
  • Saturday: Right behind a white Model S with a Pano roof where IL 53 dumps us onto Lake-Cook Road.
  • Sunday: As I'm turning through the T intersection of Rawson Bridge Road and Rawson Bridge Road (don't ask) into Cary, there's this freshly cleaned black Model S with temporary plates heading the opposite direction.
  • Monday (today): This evening I'm turning onto Schank Ave from IL 176 near Mundelein, there's a beautiful Red S heading the opposite way. I'm pretty sure it was Signature Red.
Keep 'em coming!

They look like US spec, the US license plate holders, and no apparent fog light on the diffuser area. Seems odd though, since if they are demos they could not be used on the road?

Potentially they are EU spec and the foglight is subtly built in, and the license plate holder is just decorative to be replaced with a Euro plate when the time comes.

Intriguing...

They look like US spec, the US license plate holders, and no apparent fog light on the diffuser area. Seems odd though, since if they are demos they could not be used on the road?

Potentially they are EU spec and the foglight is subtly built in, and the license plate holder is just decorative to be replaced with a Euro plate when the time comes.

Intriguing...

There are many US-specced demo cars on the roads here already, and have been since last year. I assume they need to be individually approved when they don't comply with EU regs, whereas the consumer cars will get type approval.

At any rate, 99% sure the cars in the pics are demo cars not consumer.

Saw a Brown S on our way up to Evergreen Colorado Saturday and a white on in Evergreen the same day. Also a black one parked in Cherry Creek North, Denver, Colo. yesterday. Met two owners at the Denver Service Center today. One getting some service who may join us Saturday for the drive from Idaho Springs to the summit of Mt. Evans and back and one who was just taking delivery of an identical car to ours.

RNG

There are many US-specced demo cars on the roads here already, and have been since last year. I assume they need to be individually approved when they don't comply with EU regs, whereas the consumer cars will get type approval.

At any rate, 99% sure the cars in the pics are demo cars not consumer.

And you know they'll meet the emissions standards! :)

Several sightings in the past few days.

Thursday 5/30 around 8am at the Milford South Supercharger, next to my blue a white S from MA was charging.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370438867.803892.jpg

Sunday 6/2 around 5pm near exit 31 southbound on the Merritt Parkway saw a white S with NY plates - couldn't catch up before I needed to exit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370439065.187067.jpg

Tuesday 6/4 around 6pm at the Cambridge exit from the Mass Pike saw and then followed across the river a gray P85. First time in a multi-S convoy. Spoke briefly with the driver after pulling up alongside. She's had it for about a month.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370439298.239815.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370439339.222981.jpg

Last edited:
Out this afternoon for a bite and saw this gray MS up here in Rockville MD, so I had to park next to it for a pic. The funny part is that while snapping the pic a guy came up to me and started asking questions. While I was giving him the tour another guy and his wife stopped their car and he got out too. While finishing up with him a third guy walking by asked a couple of questions. I did a 15 minute show & tell in the parking lot. One of the guys literally laughed out loud when he asked to see what was under the hood and I showed him...

IMG_20130605_130938_785.jpg

While this doesn't qualify as "random" as it was at the Service Center... it's not too often I get to park in a row worth a million dollars:
IMG_20130531_141230_351.jpg

Finally, what the heck... the roadsters are too cool not to include:
IMG_20130531_141205_452.jpg

At the Green Vehicle parking area at SFO long-term parking garage this past Sunday. I joined 2 other Model S. mine is the black one on the right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370463677.690250.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370463704.021742.jpg

FYI, unlike the nice Chargepoint units in the short-term lots, these are just spots with 115v regular outlets (20a) behind each space. I suppose the thinking is that if you're parking at the LONG-TERM lot, you have time to trickle-charge it.

New white Model S being unloaded in downtown Chicago yesterday. Was right outside the Groupon headquarters, for what it's worth. (But it may have been destined for the Lamborghini dealership for some reason that was right there as well. )

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370464172.123965.jpg

At the Green Vehicle parking area at SFO long-term parking garage this past Sunday. I joined 2 other Model S. mine is the black one

FYI, unlike the nice Chargepoint units in the short-term lots, these are just spots with 115v regular outlets (20a) behind each space. I suppose the thinking is that if you're parking at the LONG-TERM lot, you have time to trickle-charge it.

That is very smart having the 110 outlets for charging. Why spend money for charging stations when most long term parking only needs a simple 110 outlet. Bravo SFO! Wish more airports were this smart.

I see lots of them in Los Angeles, but this morning on the 405 I decided to get next to one & honk & give him a thumbs up, I was in my 1995 Chevy carpet cleaning van so he probably didn't expect someone like me appreciating a Tesla.
IMG_0257.JPG

I see lots of them in Los Angeles, but this morning on the 405 I decided to get next to one & honk & give him a thumbs up, I was in my 1995 Chevy carpet cleaning van so he probably didn't expect someone like me appreciating a Tesla.

Au contraire mon ami! I've had at least two DC bus drivers give me thumbs up and then ask "How much?" Yeah, DC traffic is as bad as LA so there are lots of opportunities for conversation when you're stopped ;-)