Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A data point for everyone. I had the track pack brakes installed by a third party on my 22 plaid S due to the SC not wanting to touch car with aftermarket suspension parts. It’s a 22 Plaid so it didn’t need new knuckles. After the brake install and an alignment I would say this vibration went about 90% away. I say 90% because maybe I have PTSD and my mind still has nightmares from that vibration and thinks there’s still a tiny bit there. But realistically it’s just about gone: I no longer feel it during my first drive to 38-42 MPH after a few hours of the car sitting.
That first-drive vibration isn't the vibration being discussed here, in general. That's a different vibration that only affects 2022+ models. The 2021 models don't experience it (for whatever reason). My 2022 I barely notice it, really, and it only does it for the first minute or two of driving. The more persistent vibration from ~38mph onward is far more annoying. The first-drive vibration is at lower mph.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
That first-drive vibration isn't the vibration being discussed here, in general. That's a different vibration that only affects 2022+ models. The 2021 models don't experience it (for whatever reason). My 2022 I barely notice it, really, and it only does it for the first minute or two of driving. The more persistent vibration from ~38mph onward is far more annoying. The first-drive vibration is at lower mph.
ok. I didn't realize this thread was a different vibration. Mine WAS (before brake install) 100% repeatable: let car sit for more than 2 hours, start driving car and immediately get on a smooth road and slowly accelerate and the moment you go past 36 or 37 the vibration was very noticeable through the steering wheel, the pedals, and felt like the ridges (that wake you up if you're drifting from lanes) on the side of lane markings on freeways here in California. Once you started to get close to 44-45 it went away and was smooth. After that first drive, no more vibrations whether between 38-42 or any speeds.

ok. I didn't realize this thread was a different vibration. Mine WAS (before brake install) 100% repeatable: let car sit for more than 2 hours, start driving car and immediately get on a smooth road and slowly accelerate and the moment you go past 36 or 37 the vibration was very noticeable through the steering wheel, the pedals, and felt like the ridges (that wake you up if you're drifting from lanes) on the side of lane markings on freeways here in California. Once you started to get close to 44-45 it went away and was smooth. After that first drive, no more vibrations whether between 38-42 or any speeds.
Yep, the 2022+ startup vibration is different, though you seem to have it at the speed that the "normal" vibration occurs in 2021+ cars (including my 2022). My 2022 has the same vibration as yours for the first minute or two, around the 25mph range as I recall. That goes away quickly. I'm left with the 37+mph vibration that's always there till around 50mph. That doesn't go away, ever.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc and 1100MCM
Here’s one more, new, and completely different type of data point for ya.

But first, a reminder: my ‘21 Plaid was vibration-free for about 15,000 miles, until Tesla replaced the front driver-side strut assembly due to a loud rattling noise when going over bumps. This was about a year ago.

Fast forward to last week, I took my car in for service for a much less annoying squeaking/clicking noise coming from the same corner. This is what the service tech found and wrote (quote from my service receipt):

“Diagnosed concern, performed test drive after adjustment performed. Tech found that the v brace on the lh shock tower is loose and with a missing bolt.
Tech installed new bolt and properly secured it down to torque spec. verified with test drive that nvh concern no longer present.”

Result: I now have a new, upgraded version of vibration that starts around 40mph, and lasts all the way to up about 70mph.

This one is felt with a bit more power than a light touch in the accelerator than the previous one. Using TesLAX, it shows up somewhere between 50kw and 100kW of total motor power.

Fun times…

Here’s one more, new, and completely different type of data point for ya.

But first, a reminder: my ‘21 Plaid was vibration-free for about 15,000 miles, until Tesla replaced the front driver-side strut assembly due to a loud rattling noise when going over bumps. This was about a year ago.

Fast forward to last week, I took my car in for service for a much less annoying squeaking/clicking noise coming from the same corner. This is what the service tech found and wrote (quote from my service receipt):

“Diagnosed concern, performed test drive after adjustment performed. Tech found that the v brace on the lh shock tower is loose and with a missing bolt.
Tech installed new bolt and properly secured it down to torque spec. verified with test drive that nvh concern no longer present.”

Result: I now have a new, upgraded version of vibration that starts around 40mph, and lasts all the way to up about 70mph.

This one is felt with a bit more power than a light touch in the accelerator than the previous one. Using TesLAX, it shows up somewhere between 50kw and 100kW of total motor power.

Fun times…
so just remove the new bolt ;)

Big question is - are you taking it back to Tesla to address?

Reactions: jebinc
Story of my life at the Tesla service center.
I avoid, like the bubonic plague. But, if I must…

1694021254415.gif

A data point for everyone. I had the track pack brakes installed by a third party on my 22 plaid S due to the SC not wanting to touch car with aftermarket suspension parts. It’s a 22 Plaid so it didn’t need new knuckles. After the brake install and an alignment I would say this vibration went about 90% away. I say 90% because maybe I have PTSD and my mind still has nightmares from that vibration and thinks there’s still a tiny bit there. But realistically it’s just about gone: I no longer feel it during my first drive to 38-42 MPH after a few hours of the car sitting.

CCB do not affect the vibration issue. I have Unplugged performance front big brake kit and their rear CCB kit the vibration everyone talks about is still there. Difference is the car stops like it's supposed to lol

My 2023 MSP has this vibration. Very noticeable and annoying at speeds 40-50mph. Took it to Tesla service who drove it, confirmed the issue and told me it was a “known issue” that would hopefully be fixed in a Q4 software update. I’m waiting through Q4 and if it isnt fixed I am ditching this car for another brand. Frustrating because I otherwise like the car.

My 2023 MSP has this vibration. Very noticeable and annoying at speeds 40-50mph. Took it to Tesla service who drove it, confirmed the issue and told me it was a “known issue” that would hopefully be fixed in a Q4 software update. I’m waiting through Q4 and if it isnt fixed I am ditching this car for another brand. Frustrating because I otherwise like the car.
Spare yourself the time waiting. Get rid of the car like I did and move on.

Tesla will not fix this issue and like others pointed out their service centers do more harm then good when you take your car in. Have a complaint or issue, guess what, no Corporate or PR dept to complain to. They will direct you to the 800 number call center or BAR in Cali. Pathetic business model for a car company and what was once a $150K+ car, but as long as there is a blind demand and unwavering loyalty by the fan boys, they will not shift, until sales slow down and former customers don't repeat the same mistake and buy from another car MFG like myself. Only fix for this would be a class action as I've said before or regulators get invovled. Neither might bode well for owners.

I say this but I would possibly consider the roadster if it comes out before the MC22 or LFA EV or similar coupe EV sport car.

Good luck

It’s interesting that at least one other person has been told it will be fixed in a (Q4) software update. I firmly believe it can be fixed in software.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and aerodyne
Good one. First I've heard of tesla claiming they can unbend drive shafts with a software update.

I’ve recently put my n2itive lowering links back to factory height and my vibration is actually less noticeable at factory height. So, that strongly argues against driveshaft angle or warped half shafts. I think the vibration is intrinsic to the motor itself.
Not what I wanted to hear. I have my n2itive lowering links collecting dust in a box and had planned on reinstalling them when I return to the factory 21s for winter. We've seen actual photos of the half shaft damage though, so if it's not the angle, what could be causing this?

Not what I wanted to hear. I have my n2itive lowering links collecting dust in a box and had planned on reinstalling them when I return to the factory 21s for winter. We've seen actual photos of the half shaft damage though, so if it's not the angle, what could be causing this?
I doubt it being caused by damage to the half shafts. I had the vibration return just a week after installing new half shafts, without any high power accelerations. I am sure the shafts aren't damaged. I imagine it's due to the angle and tolerances within the CV joints having just enough play to allow a vibration to form at the resonant frequency.

Yes, it can be prevented in software, since track mode and rear bias causes it to go away. There might be a range impact, though. Since it would require the rear drive units to cover ~40-50 mph. I doubt anyone would notice.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc and aerodyne