Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D - What battery versions should I avoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I second all of this.

Would i rather have a v3 battery? Sure. Would I trade my 2015 V1 p90d and about $10,000 (the price gap these days between V1 and V3 cars) in order to get it? No chance.

Except it seems when you are looking to buy a P90D, the prices are all lumped together for all the P90Ds. By that what I mean is that people selling them are not charging a premium for a V3 battery pack. In fact from my experience, most people selling a P90Ds don't even know what version battery pack they have or how to check the sticker and I learned all that by reading the forum.

Yep, thought the OP was concerned about Ludicrous. My bad.

Yes, I don't need Ludicrous +, just plain Ludicrous is ludicrous enough :)

Heck, I could probably settle with just being insane :p

I've found a few P90Ds with Ludicrous but have a hard time justifying any premium over a P85D due to the battery issue. Is there a battery version after Version 3 or is that the most advanced 90 pack?

Yes, some do. Mine has Ludicrous plus, those with newer, higher performance packs got it. (There were even articles about how much higher performance Tesla added to P90DL..)

I think you are confusing max battery mode with ludicrous plus mode you do not have ludicrous plus mode on any P90DL no matter what battery pack. I know all about the v3 p90d battery packs my car was one of the last P90DL with a V3 pack. My car also made one of the highest recorded power output of ALL the P90DL V3 battery cars at 511KW of power at 1628 amps in LUDICROUS mode with max battery enabled.

For reference P100DL ludicrous plus mode asks you if you want your mommy when you enable it!
E48BF687-DFD3-494C-9CF0-A4A802ACD4FE.jpeg

It also changes the dashboard, the car becomes clear showing the front and rear motors the energy graph adds a battery temperature display in purple and you get a menu called readouts on the other side when the battery is ready / at optimum temperature. The readout display shows max battery power, max front and rear motor power, it also shows acceleration in meters per second.

9F1D8E81-95CC-4550-93CC-D0A4DD77EA60.jpeg

Last edited:
what about posts #10 and #17 above, tg?
To get on topic I agree with post 10 and post 8.
Personally I’d stay away from 90 packs due to degradation in range and supercharging speeds especially if you plan to keep the car beyond the 8 yr unlimited mile battery and motor warranty. The battery packs also seem to self destruct from my personal experience as well as others, though while under warranty Tesla will cover it.

Except it seems when you are looking to buy a P90D, the prices are all lumped together for all the P90Ds. By that what I mean is that people selling them are not charging a premium for a V3 battery pack. In fact from my experience, most people selling a P90Ds don't even know what version battery pack they have or how to check the sticker and I learned all that by reading the forum.
Yes they are. The V3 aren't rnadomly available. They were fitted chronologically after V2 which were fitted after V1. Its not like there are 2015s with V3. So the only way to get one is to buy a newer car.

To get on topic I agree with post 10 and post 8.
Personally I’d stay away from 90 packs due to degradation in range and supercharging speeds especially if you plan to keep the car beyond the 8 yr unlimited mile battery and motor warranty. The battery packs also seem to self destruct from my personal experience as well as others, though while under warranty Tesla will cover it.

Have these issues been resolved by Version 3 of the 90 pack?

8yr unlimited mile warranty.

How many times have you fried your v3 using Ludicrous?
I haven't, I was lucky to make Tesla buy back my P90DL.
There are many reports of death / performance degraded v3 p90d batteries if you research. Also, supercharging speed limitation is another issue.
Remember, Tesla has limited the power of P90Ds when they realised that battery was not able to handle the load. After a revolt, they restored the power, and told owners that Tesla will monitor the batteries and and replace. So, as long as you want to drive a car that potentially die one day, don't get a P90D. It wouldn't worth the hassle.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
Have these issues been resolved by Version 3 of the 90 pack?
No they have not. If anything the v3 cars were effected more then the v2 and v1 due to the increased output. Basically each version of the battery increased the battery’s maximum power output. I first discovered the power limits 3 months after talking delivery because I was closely monitoring my v3 cars performance....

This is a good read if your interested in some of the history of the p90d v3 and the rollercoaster ride I went through discovering that Tesla had limited my cars performance with the 8.0 software update.
Tesla will remove performance limiting algorithm from cars in next software update
Tesla did eventually restore power after a long public discussion on the forum here on the subject though full power was only available in launch mode with the first update released February 14th 2017. Another member sued Tesla and they released another update later that removed the launch mode restriction allowing full power to be available any time max battery mode was selected which is how the car was delivered originally.

Last edited:
I don't think there was ever a problem with the P90DL batteries (especially v3). I think someone at Tesla was worried it could be a problem and a decision was made to quietly change the software. Unfortunately, the word got out and it was not handled very well. When asked, Tesla didn't have any data on actual failures, just potential.

I bought a P90D and I have ZERO concerns about the bat
I haven't, I was lucky to make Tesla buy back my P90DL.
There are many reports of death / performance degraded v3 p90d batteries if you research. Also, supercharging speed limitation is another issue.
Remember, Tesla has limited the power of P90Ds when they realised that battery was not able to handle the load. After a revolt, they restored the power, and told owners that Tesla will monitor the batteries and and replace. So, as long as you want to drive a car that potentially die one day, don't get a P90D. It wouldn't worth the hassle.
but your P90DL is still in your sig..

• Funny
Reactions: Indpowr
I had a v2 in my P90D it had a problem with the pack. Tesla replaced it with a new v3 pack. Tesla did almost take a month to replace it because they didn’t have many around. I would not be worried as we have such a good warranty unless you plan to keep the car for 10 years?

Reactions: Sandman1962
I had a v2 in my P90D it had a problem with the pack. Tesla replaced it with a new v3 pack. Tesla did almost take a month to replace it because they didn’t have many around. I would not be worried as we have such a good warranty unless you plan to keep the car for 10 years?

The warranty does not cover degradation and the warranty is the same on all Model S/X batteries. The warranty isn't a deciding factor here. The deciding factor is how the different batteries perform and how much/fast they degrade. The 90 seems to do worse in this aspect compared to other battery types.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
The warranty does not cover degradation and the warranty is the same on all Model S/X batteries. The warranty isn't a deciding factor here. The deciding factor is how the different batteries perform and how much/fast they degrade. The 90 seems to do worse in this aspect compared to other battery types.
Normal degradation isn't covered, just like normal wear and tear, however an abnormal amount of degrade is something that is covered.

It seems the degradation of the 90 battery packs will not be significant enough to trigger a warranty replacement but based on what I've read the performance, charging, and capacity degradation for the 90 packs (even V3, apparently) is more than that for the 85 pack. If I had already bought a car with a 90 pack, there is nothing I can do but hope for the best but since I am considering a P85D or P90D, I think I'm going to not bother with a P90D at all as I see no point in paying a premium for a P90D over a P85D with the issued pointed out here.

Reactions: Jashev and jaguar36
Status
Not open for further replies.