Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off topic galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear the same thing about Apple products all the time. People just hate them for whatever reason....

Somewhere recently I saw a joke that if Apple's self-driving software works as well as their text-autocorrect, then Tesla has nothing to worry about. I find this funny because it has a lot of truth.

I use an Apple Mac computer (because Windows ME made me vow to never buy another Microsoft product). I use Apple Mail (because the Gmail interface is even worse). The Apple Mail columns won't stay where I put them. The software is version 14, in development since 1995. I can't find a bug-reporting button anywhere in Apple software. Does Tesla have one? (I don't know yet because my Model 3 should arrive in June.)

First Principles thinking, or common sense, suggests to me that if you want to sell excellent software, you should make it easy for your customers to help you improve it. This idea has eluded Apple.

My other favorite joke about Apple is they are the worst computer company except for all the others. Someday, after Tesla has conquered autos and energy and robots, maybe Tesla will apply their software and hardware expertise to non-wheeled non-legged computers. I would love for them to do to Apple what they're doing to the auto industry.

Last edited:
Somewhere recently I saw a joke that if Apple's self-driving software works as well as their text-autocorrect, then Tesla has nothing to worry about. I find this funny because it has a lot of truth.

I use an Apple Mac computer (because Windows ME made me vow to never buy another Microsoft product). I use Apple Mail (because the Gmail interface is even worse). The Apple Mail columns won't stay where I put them. The software is version 14, in development since 1995. I can't find a bug-reporting button anywhere in Apple software. Does Tesla have one? (I don't know yet because my Model 3 should arrive in June.)

First Principles thinking, or common sense, suggests to me that if you want excellent software, you should make it easy for your customers to help you improve it. This idea has eluded Apple.

My other favorite joke about Apple is they are the worst computer company except for all the others. Someday, after Tesla has conquered autos and energy and robots, maybe Tesla will apply their software and hardware expertise to non-wheeled non-legged computers. I would love for them to do to Apple what they're doing to the auto industry.
I have a MacBook Pro. I also have a mix of gaming and media PC's running Windows. I have an iPad and my phone is a Pixel 6.

Trust me, they all suck in different ways. Doesn't matter if it's Apple, Microsoft, or Google.

Tesla isn't some paragon of software either. They are in a different galaxy compared to traditional auto but that's like saying an original iPhone is better than a Nokia, it's a generational leap but now we can look back at the original iPhone and be amazed that it didn't even run any apps at the time. Steve Jobs famously said that apps were unnecessary and everything users wanted could be done with web frameworks. He wouldn't recant until after Android shipped with a native app store.

But they can afford to do so. So pandemic plus boomers retiring plus people able to retire early will of course = lower growth of the work force. From your link:

Read all of the links. What you picked out to quote is actually not completely agreed upon by economists.

And many people are just scraping by yet still are counted as "unemployed". See post in main thread by someone that gave their personal experience.

I read all of the links, there are various opinions of course, but retirement is mentioned in two of the 3 articles. To draw any conclusions an actual statistical breakdown of the numbers is necessary.

Last month, there were 3.6 million more Americans who had left the labor force and said they didn't want a job compared with November 2019, says Aaron Sojourner, a labor economist and professor at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management.
Older Americans, age 55 and up, accounted for whopping 90% of that increase.
"I think a lot of the narratives imagine prime-age workers as being missing, but it actually skews much older," Sojourner told CNN Business.

With AAPL hitting ATH on Friday, this seems like a setup to sell some BCS for a pullback. I might dip my toes into this on Monday. Any thoughts on this strategy?

View attachment 743475
I have been rolling my November $155CC up for 1 month now. They went from $100 to $20,000 premium.

Can’t wait for a pullback.

If they don’t pullback enough to buy back my CCs for 85% profit, I will have to let my 1700 shares go for $180 in April

@mongo @SmokyPeat
I was more thinking about HFT between _exchanges_, like US to Europe to Nikkei, to etc., not across main street
if you could arb between those other side of the planet distances, really front running, even your own trades exchange to exchange

Is that feasible?
If it's feasible, most likely a bunch of folks have already wargamed it.

probably only good one time, but a really fast computer, (dojo?) a good strong AI, with no bad programming, and a polka dotted B&W swan that doesn't get out of hand
Ohhhh....
Using Starlink sats themselves to trade on stale prices while over the ocean midway between markets.
Interesting...

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

First Principles thinking, or common sense, suggests to me that if you want to sell excellent software, you should make it easy for your customers to help you improve it. This idea has eluded Apple.

Nobody dies when auto-correct makes a nonsensical choice for the word you misspelled. That's why every computer and phone has autocorrect that works properly some of the time and stupidly some of the time, and why nobody has general wide-area FSD, or any FSD in a consumer car. We would not have autocorrect on our computers and phones if mistakes were life-or-death. Nobody has AI that's good enough yet.

Oh, and Teslas do have a way of reporting bugs. I have no idea if anybody listens, but you can report them.

AMD Ryzen and Lithium 12V shipping with 3 and Y now.

Getting back to more directly investor related stuff.... be interesting to see if Tesla finds themselves able to offer paid retrofits for both these items to existing 3/Y vehicles as they previously did with MCU1 S/X cars for MCU2.

Would be another nice little revenue stream.... though (especially for the Ryzen MCUs) I expect supply might be a problem for a while....

Getting back to more directly investor related stuff.... be interesting to see if Tesla finds themselves able to offer paid retrofits for both these items to existing 3/Y vehicles as they previously did with MCU1 S/X cars for MCU2.

Would be another nice little revenue stream.... though (especially for the Ryzen MCUs) I expect supply might be a problem for a while....
It may take awhile not because of supply issues as ryzen 12nm+ cpus are a dime a dozen, but because Tesla likes to encourage people to upgrade their car first rather than a mcu retrofit. Also currently you don't gain much with the better processor as v11 is pretty responsive. Mcu1 was absolutely terrible and I don't know how people tolerate it.

Reactions: Queeg500
It may take awhile not because of supply issues as ryzen 12nm+ cpus are a dime a dozen, but because Tesla likes to encourage people to upgrade their car first rather than a mcu retrofit. Also currently you don't gain much with the better processor as v11 is pretty responsive. Mcu1 was absolutely terrible and I don't know how people tolerate it.

I'd expect it'd be the RDNA2 GPU (MCU3 has a discrete Navi23 GPU per Ingineerix) that'd be the bottleneck... same GPU parts that go into making the RX6000 series GPUs, and the SOCs on the PS5 and current Xbox, all of which supply can not keep up with demand on currently.

That said- I expect the catalyst for Tesla getting their ducks in a row for widespread upgrade offerings there would be when (if) they launch the theoretical app store where folks can buy current AAA games and whatnot that'll require the newer MCU.

Speaking of that--- anybody know what the onboard storage is for the MCU3 unit? If they're serious about doing AAA gaming it'd need to be MUCH larger than what MCU2 offers...unless they're planning to do a "bring your own SSD via USBC" thing--- but if they put a legit large storage device on MCU3 it'd be a large clue where they're going with it.