Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the new look and the new features and appreciate all the hard work that goes into running something like this.
The old design really was a blast from the past and its good to get a refreshing change every once in a while.
Thank you to all the hard work that went into it.
I'll save any comments until after I've actually used the site for a little while and if there are any constructive comments I'm pretty sure I know where to send them.
Some folks here could try the same methodology before hating.

I primarily use a desktop computer, and the UI definitely seems like it's designed for a mobile interface.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but in an attempt to lighten the mood, I will quote Linus Torvalds since I resemble the remark :)

"If I was stranded on an island and the only way to get off the island was to make a pretty UI, I’d die there."

No matter how good a UI is, it never pleases everyone.

I understand that some may not be happy with some of the changes. In truth, we've actually been talking about this move for years.
I'm too exhausted to go on at length right now. But briefly, the primary reasons for the change are future viability, better security, and the flexibility to be able to handle dynamic loads.

The vBulletin4 code base is barely maintained and can't even properly keep up with PHP updates, at times only works on versions that are EOL. A year or so ago thousands of vB sites got hacked because or security flaws that the company failed to communicate in a timely manner. This new set up has full SSL, will support IPv6 (give me a day or so) and is moving towards a horizontally scaling system that should be able to handle the load during higher traffic times.

We're obviously still working on things (as evidenced by the hiccups during the switchover). But I figure it's better to go live while we can instead of being down or pointing to a read only site for a week. Right now, though, I need rest. So I trust that you all will survive without minor bells and whistles.

I have a monitor that is 3840 pixels wide. This forum using just 1000 or so looks ridiculous. Could you at least make the scaling dynamic, so it fills say ~90% of the browser width?
There's a button at the bottom left to go full width.

I can get used to the new look, but when are you going to fix all the broken links? I had links in my private messages, in my bookmarks, and in emails I sent to people. All broken.
Have you actually tried those links? I worked for weeks to make sure there are redirects for the most common types of links. They even do math for the different number of posts per page. If a link isn't actually working let me know. It's important for old links to be able to find the right content.

For those who only use mobile and claim It looks like great on the mobile - you should be using an app like Tapatalk that will give you much much better reading and writing experience.
It's my preference to no longer support Tapatalk. That program is a big security hole. The responsive design should make the mobile browsing experience more pleasant.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Three things I don't like:

* 20 post per page limit: Slower, more page loads. I prefer 50+, or even better auto-updating (ajax?)
* Vertical spacing: Slower, more time needed to find posts content. I vastly prefer neogaf.com, where they god rid of everything directly above or below posts. (neogaf also has separate day/night themes, and highlights your own posts/quotes)
* Forum listings: More clicks needed to reach subforums.

neogafx6sv4.png

tmc1qs6g.png

To those saying that the admin(s) should have consulted with us.. are you out of your minds? Please refer to exhibit 1: Firmware 7.0 thread. Do you still think we'd coalesce around a common theme?

These forums are very well maintained out of love for the topic material. I, for one, greatly appreciate the work that was done, and know the shortcomings will be addressed in time.

Oh, and TMC? As for this banner message,

"This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect."

I have this to say:

This site is also supported by the countless thousands of COMMUNITY members who use it. Please disable your XenForo forum software so the COMMUNITY can continue to provide you, the proprietors, with the quality content that drives the traffic that gets you ad revenue in the first place.

Give it a rest already.

scaling system that should be able to handle the load during higher traffic times.

Based on the number of people wanting to take a hiatus, I imagine there will be few issues with high load going forward.

Unfortunately I already feel ill trying to read 40 posts. I just really don't think I can get used to that, and that's saying something given my forum browsing adventures from the mid-90s.

To those saying that the admin(s) should have consulted with us.. are you out of your minds? Please refer to exhibit 1: Firmware 7.0 thread. Do you still think we'd coalesce around a common theme?

These forums are very well maintained out of love for the topic material. I, for one, greatly appreciate the work that was done, and know the shortcomings will be addressed in time.
+1 And consider that you received several "virtual" reputation points!