Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new car - battery draining?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys -
just took delivery yesterday. the battery was charged to 94% at delivery...the delivery consultant even pointed out it shouldnt be past 90% on average.

anyway, im at 64% now having driven only 35 miles. something seems off...any idea if i'm doing something wrong? or this is a battery issue.

i will probably plug in tonight on a 110

X 75D? We don't know percent of what.

Aside from conditions (did you drive up hill all the way home?), if a door is left open the climate can stay on and drain the battery a bit. Normal vampire drain should be 1-2 miles/day if the car is sleeping and about 0.5 miles/hour if it is awake the whole time.

X 75D? We don't know percent of what.

Aside from conditions (did you drive up hill all the way home?), if a door is left open the climate can stay on and drain the battery a bit. Normal vampire drain should be 1-2 miles/day if the car is sleeping and about 0.5 miles/hour if it is awake the whole time.

yes, x 75d. temperature about 40F - 50F. no hills...

yes, x 75d. temperature about 40F - 50F. no hills...

A X75D gets 237 miles of rated range. 94% would equal 222 miles at the start - but we'll assume a high BMS consumption number due to a number of short trips such as loading, unloading, prep, etc. and we'll start you with a 3% reduction. That means you started with 94% or 215 miles roughly.

Now; it's a brand new car so be honest here. How many times on the way home did you put a smile on your face and pretend it's a roller coaster?

That aside, 35 miles at 40-50 degrees for me on my 75D with normal driving habits would consume roughly 47 miles of rated range. 215 miles starting minus 47 miles of rated range equals 168 miles remaining; which is roughly 73%. The consumption is a little higher, but not high enough to warrant a concern based on percentage alone; but based on those numbers 64% would put you at about 147 rated miles remaining. On a wh/mi basis that would put you at 687wh/mi which is pretty high without towing if you did it in one shot. Does this match your wh/mi on your energy graph? If not, what does it say?

Are those remaining numbers based on right after you finished the drive? Or was it a span of a couple of days?