Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced - warranty about to expire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the way you did the self battery test is correct. However, there actually is yet a better way if you know that you are going to have to pay. contact AVILoo Gmbh . they have a device they willl send out you and follow the proceedure . Their system can break down the complete HV system for issues

T
the way you did the self battery test is correct. However, there actually is yet a better way if you know that you are going to have to pay. contact AVILoo Gmbh . they have a device they willl send out you and follow the proceedure . Their system can break down the complete HV system for issues
Thanks for the information.

Range is so variable. Where some (most?) Tesla drivers get a thrill out of the incredible acceleration, I am always trying to optimize efficiency. For the 30k miles I have had it, I have averaged 256 Wh/mi. So my thrill is when I am under 250 Wh/mi for the day.

That brings up a question. Is percent remaining literally the percent of the battery still to be used, or is it a calculation based on factors such as my driving habits?

That brings up a question. Is percent remaining literally the percent of the battery still to be used, or is it a calculation based on factors such as my driving habits?
Everything I have read says driving style is NOT considered in the % or range calculation on the main screen. Range calculation is simply kWh left times rated.

Driving style is considered in the trip graph.

Reactions: aerodyne
T

Thanks for the information.

Range is so variable. Where some (most?) Tesla drivers get a thrill out of the incredible acceleration, I am always trying to optimize efficiency. For the 30k miles I have had it, I have averaged 256 Wh/mi. So my thrill is when I am under 250 Wh/mi for the day.

Driving habits is similiar to the road. for example a road in the moutains , up and down hills is taking that factor inot the range still available

Does anyone have a copy of the 8 year unlimited/infinite mile battery and drivetrain warranty terms and conditions related to pre-February 2020 Model S and Model X cars? I have a 2016 Model X P90DL. My TESLA profile shows that both Battery and Drive Unit warranty expires July 8, 2024. See screenshots. I plan to pay to have both items inspected before the warranty expires. I've spent hours on TMC trying to find this information thinking that surely I am not the first to ask this question. There are threads about specific experiences, but no word on what the early owners have for warranty. i.e. What level of battery degradation qualifies for replacement is my question? Thanks in advance.
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.18.03 AM.png

Does anyone have a copy of the 8 year unlimited/infinite mile battery and drivetrain warranty terms and conditions related to pre-February 2020 Model S and Model X cars? I have a 2016 Model X P90DL. My TESLA profile shows that both Battery and Drive Unit warranty expires July 8, 2024. See screenshots. I plan to pay to have both items inspected before the warranty expires. I've spent hours on TMC trying to find this information thinking that surely I am not the first to ask this question. There are threads about specific experiences, but no word on what the early owners have for warranty. i.e. What level of battery degradation qualifies for replacement is my question? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 1044782
I had a 2015 Model S I bought in June of 2015. I tried everything I could think of to get Tesla to check the battery before its warranty expired. Tesla refused to do anything at all. The only thing I came up with was using ScanMyTesla to check it myself, which didn't do me any good. I did learn that I had 750 cycles on the battery, so it was well on its way to 1000 total lifetime cycles. Tesla really sucks about giving owners any good detail on the their car's battery... for obvious reasons. Oh, and when I bought my 2015 Model S, Tesla was saying they warranted the battery not to degrade below 70% of its original range. So I'd ask for a new battery if you're seeing more degradation than that.

Oh, and when I bought my 2015 Model S, Tesla was saying they warranted the battery not
You may well have had someone tell you that in conversation, but it was absolutely never documented in any way and is not part of the official warranty terms.

Not that it’s particularly consequential - I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of a car with a legit 30% degradation - certainly not within 8 years.

You may well have had someone tell you that in conversation, but it was absolutely never documented in any way and is not part of the official warranty terms.

Not that it’s particularly consequential - I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of a car with a legit 30% degradation - certainly not within 8 years.
My 15 S 85D has 356K miles, is almost 9 years old, if I remember correctly has over 1500 cycles... Has about 20% degradation.

@livesmith , you win the Tesla lottery!

So, the cycle counter in the car that you can see though SMT does not account for the fact that many small charge cycles are much better than large cycles.

So, 750 cycles from say 20 to 90 might cause a lot of degradation. 4500 cycles from 50-70 will be far less.

Keep in mind failures are more likely to be from board corrosion, weak cells, moisture, and mist importantly, time and temperature.

As I recall, there was no degradation clause in my 2015 pack warranty. They added that later to the newer cars. It failed in warranty after 7 years, 64k miles, with only 5% degradation.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
@livesmith , you win the Tesla lottery!

So, the cycle counter in the car that you can see though SMT does not account for the fact that many small charge cycles are much better than large cycles.

So, 750 cycles from say 20 to 90 might cause a lot of degradation. 4500 cycles from 50-70 will be far less.

Keep in mind failures are more likely to be from board corrosion, weak cells, moisture, and mist importantly, time and temperature.

As I recall, there was no degradation clause in my 2015 pack warranty. They added that later to the newer cars. It failed in warranty after 7 years, 64k miles, with only 5% degradation.
What you see in terms of charge cycles on SMT, is what the BMS reports as what it considers the equivalent of 0-100% charge cycles. Not actual physical charge cycles, but the equivalency of 0-100%, which is what a "charge cycle" is.

Reactions: brainhouston
What you see in terms of charge cycles on SMT, is what the BMS reports as what it considers the equivalent of 0-100% charge cycles. Not actual physical charge cycles, but the equivalency of 0-100%, which is what a "charge cycle" is.
Correct.

My point is, many small charge cycles for a given energy added, will result in a non linear reduction in degradation vs fewer large charge cycles.

It's probably the reason the early MS came with the note, a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla, or words to that effect.