Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I do suppose 14 turns in 1.3 miles is pretty tight without a lot of time to cool the brakes between turns.

How did you like driving without the regen? I’ve heard a few folks now report they performed better with Regen low / off.
With low/off regen, trail brake is easier and more intuitive, because Tesla's regenerative braking is not integrated into the brakes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Not related but a Plaid caught his brake ducts hoses on fire this weekend at laguna seca
View attachment 1045337
View attachment 1045338
315 Nexen. Slippery on cold wet track! Felt pretty good when they warmed up a little. I placed 17/63 in Optima challenge 👌7th in both speedstop and Autocross.
I’ve got some brake ducts and hoses but am thinking I should use them to duct to the UP drive unit filters vs brakes. But I’m still only running small tesla calipers + MPP rotors 🤔.
What kind of times were model 3's running there?

My 370x34 front rotors are pretty worn and will probably need replacing.

Would UP’s 394mm kit be a worthwhile upgrade, compared to, say aggressive ducting?

(Note: I am still on stock rear M3P brakes with aftermarket pads).
Carbon one gets soft pedal as well. I don't know if any ducting really works on a street drivable model 3. I plan to do water injection this summer. Already got all the parts.

• Helpful
Carbon one gets soft pedal as well. I don't know if any ducting really works on a street drivable model 3. I plan to do water injection this summer. Already got all the parts.
Interesting. I don’t think I’d ever heard of water injection on brakes! How do you avoid warping or, just as importantly, inadvertently dropping water onto the track? Fine mist only at high speeds?

What kind of times were model 3's running there?
I did a 1:42.55 should be running 1:39 probably on the nexen I have I think. It hailed the night before and our Saturday evening practice was canceled. Hella slippery in the AM session! I did. 1:50. It was my Second track session & only really did 3 wet & 2 dryer laps. Drive more conservative than I do in hill climbs 😅
Jon-1:47 /1:40.5
Brandon in plaid- 1:47/ 1:37.01
Jordan- 1:46/ 1:38.76
Koda- 1:58/ 1:42.2
Some cool cars to race with! GT3 is probably my favorite

Last edited:
  • Love
I grew up on dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and off road 4WDs and am very used to feathering brake and throttle to manage traction and rotation. So, left foot braking itself is very intuitive for me. Unfortunately, the way Tesla couples throttle reduction with brake application—and especially delaying torque onset after it detects a “conflict”—was a hindrance to me.
You just need to ‘dance’ on the throttle if you get any reduction. But ya, you can’t feather as you say.

Interesting. I don’t think I’d ever heard of water injection on brakes! How do you avoid warping or, just as importantly, inadvertently dropping water onto the track? Fine mist only at high speeds?
I'm going to use cooling mist jets and 200psi compact pump. Water on the track is not a concern, since a/c throws tons of it there anyway. Rotors can't really warp from that amount of water - the amount of heat from the high speed braking far heavier stress than any water mist. Also it instantly makes vapor layer. It will be difficult to keep water close enough to rotors to evaporate rather than get blown away with the air. But it's already used approach in trucks racing.

• Informative
I did a 1:42.55 should be running 1:39 probably on the nexen I have I think. It hailed the night before and our Saturday evening practice was canceled. Hella slippery in the AM session! I did. 1:50. It was my Second track session & only really did 3 wet & 2 dryer laps. Drive more conservative than I do in hill climbs 😅
Jon-1:47 /1:40.5
Brandon in plaid- 1:47/ 1:37.01
Jordan- 1:46/ 1:38.76
Koda- 1:58/ 1:42.2
Some cool cars to race with! GT3 is probably my favorite
Interesting to watch your lap compared to mine. I assume you run more tire than I do as your min speeds in the slow corners is faster than mine, but I get you on some of the faster. I run a class limited 255 200 tw tire.

My fastest was a 1:36.6

Interesting to watch your lap compared to mine. I assume you run more tire than I do as your min speeds in the slow corners is faster than mine, but I get you on some of the faster. I run a class limited 255 200 tw tire.

My fastest was a 1:36.6

Tony you are a beast on those 255's! Ran a 1:41.753 at 220kW power limit.

Gotta admit though, it was a close Qualifying!

M3C_Laguna_Quali.PNG

@subieworx thats pretty awesome! I’m super uncomfortable on braking points and entry speeds on the track. It’s my second time, (first was 2020 Corsa) I have way more hill climb driving time!! Also first time trying the Nexen 315s and they definitely did not like the cold. After the wet laps in the morning I was a bit cautious in the evening…also started this one on 40/60 split 🙃

Last edited: