Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot that much better than Competitors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Youtube commentor who says he lives in Sweden posted that the driver/owner thought the Volvo had the pedestrian tech option on the car. It actually did not. The car did have the tech package, the pedestrian detection package however is a separate option.

I am afraid Tesla has not yet shown that it has leapfrogged competitors. My husband has a 2015 Audi A6 with the auto driving features. Once in cruise control on the highway it works amazingly well even to stopping and starting with bad traffic jams. It recognizes animals and people in the road and I love the heads up feature displaying speed and directions from the nav system. I do love my new Tesla 85D, but the auto driving does have a ways to go.

I am afraid Tesla has not yet shown that it has leapfrogged competitors. My husband has a 2015 Audi A6 with the auto driving features. Once in cruise control on the highway it works amazingly well even to stopping and starting with bad traffic jams. It recognizes animals and people in the road and I love the heads up feature displaying speed and directions from the nav system. I do love my new Tesla 85D, but the auto driving does have a ways to go.

Just wait until the next software update coming this summer . . .

I don't think it really does perform any better than similar systems. The operative word is similar so it's really talking about Radar+Vision. It seems to have the same limitations as any of the majors do.

When I say seems I mean it's because I don't really know.

The biggest issues seems to be a lack of any standardized comparison test.

Is there a standardized test that runs the gauntlet of possible situations. A test so tough that pretty much all cars will fail, but we can use it to see which ones perform better?

I haven't seen any major comparisons yet. Where some automotive review magazine actually tested each one (including Tesla). They still treat it as an after thought and not a major element of the car.

We know from P85/P85+ owners that autopilot was a major part of their reason to upgrade. That along with the all-wheel drive.

With my 70D I didn't think autopilot would be that major part of my experience with it, but now that I have it I'm finding it playing a much larger role that I anticipated.

Sorry, but if you really need or want your car to park and unpark itself, you are missing the point of owning an automobile. I love driving and want nothing to do with it handling those functions myself.

I love the driving experience, everything about it. If you automate any of that it would be like playing a game of baseball and having the bat swing itself for you. No thanks.
I'm with this guy. No thanks.

Im not with you guys.

95% of driving is annoying, stuck in stop and go traffic. I want that to be less stressful.
I still have the option of driving it myself on an open road if I want to.

autopilot was the solo reason I went with new instead of cpo.

guys - you can all be right on this... My MS is loads of fun to drive, and I enjoy it as much as my old Porsche. BUT, when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic, or stuck on two lane road behind a line of tourists, it's really great to use autopilot mode (what we have now) to reduce frustration.

guys - you can all be right on this... My MS is loads of fun to drive, and I enjoy it as much as my old Porsche. BUT, when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic, or stuck on two lane road behind a line of tourists, it's really great to use autopilot mode (what we have now) to reduce frustration.

Exactly. But I admit, the first 6 months, I'll be hella nervous and will keep my eyes open and senses perched :). After which I'll probably install a laptop stand on the steering wheel and get some work done on the highly anticipated LTE bonus on the new cars.

And I'm already saving up for the sleep and shower option for the 2020 model S. I really doubt the service plan will include the "dress me up" option when I get closer to work. But I hear Tesla's implementation of a double Windsor is sub par. Typical over promise and under deliver. C'mon Elon!

Exactly. But I admit, the first 6 months, I'll be hella nervous and will keep my eyes open and senses perched :). After which I'll probably install a laptop stand on the steering wheel and get some work done on the highly anticipated LTE bonus on the new cars.

You realize that so far none of the cars support tethering devices to the car, even the LTE enabled cars.

the new Chevy's do. There is a commercial out now with 3 kids tethering devices to the on board WiFi systems...

Yes.

You need OnStar telematics minimum, then pay:
200 MB per month = $5 ($10 without Directions & Connections plan)
1GB per month = $15 ($20 without Directions & Connections)
3GB per month = $30
5GB per month = $50
250 MB for one day = $5
10GB over 12 months = $150 ($200 without Directions & Connections)
AT&T Share Plan customers = $10 per month per GM car
(GM uses AT&T for their 4G).

Yes.

You need OnStar telematics minimum, then pay:
200 MB per month = $5 ($10 without Directions & Connections plan)
1GB per month = $15 ($20 without Directions & Connections)
3GB per month = $30
5GB per month = $50
250 MB for one day = $5
10GB over 12 months = $150 ($200 without Directions & Connections)
AT&T Share Plan customers = $10 per month per GM car
(GM uses AT&T for their 4G).

And that's if the OnStar is working.

I've had it for 4 years with my 2011 Volt (it came with 5 free years) and the communication with the car (remote starts, status updates, etc.) works about 1/2 of the time. Very unreliable.

Is Tesla's connectivity with the car better (smartphone app talking to car)? I certainly hope so.

I've had it for 4 years with my 2011 Volt (it came with 5 free years) and the communication with the car (remote starts, status updates, etc.) works about 1/2 of the time. Very unreliable.

Is Tesla's connectivity with the car better (smartphone app talking to car)? I certainly hope so.

The app chats with Tesla's servers that try to reach the car via AT&T's HSPA network (in the U.S. at least). At work, half of the EV chargers are in a dead-zone, so now remote activating the a/c for me if I park in one of those.

Last edited:
Lidar, as Google has on their experimental cars, is too expensive for commercial use, but it is necessary right now for their experiments because commercial automotive radar, even 77 GHz, cannot distinguish humans from cars on streets. Unlike Lidar, cost of radars is coming down fast. Current automotive radars are usually Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave FMCW, which is easy to process for point targets but does not give an image. However, greatly improved phased array radars are coming soon, as this report from UCSD indicates:

http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/news/news_releases/release.sfe?id=1588

This is apple to oranges still. Tesla has LTE now but it is for the car to use itself, for free audio, communication to/from car, etc. No tethering of any devices is allowed as that wouldn't fly with the amount of data that could be used, unless then Tesla started partnering with AT&T to allow for a plan sign-up, purchase of data amounts with tethering enabled, etc. Wouldn't be a horrible idea to add via software in the future if hardware supports it (seems like should since car has wifi too).

So that is what Jeep, Chevy, and others have right now. LTE hotspots, that require payment for use. No different than me having my iPhone in the car with hotspot turned on really - perhaps only beneficial it has a way better antenna and go on long road trips with family, etc.